Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 11:11 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But the majority of Americans don't make laws.
We get to choose from names already on ballots.

The extremes are the ones that got into Congress.
We put them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 11:25 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Really. You said it right here...
Said WHAT?

Quote:
Ok, If that's the republican parties ideal, why are they ramming the NDAA and Patriot act down our throats... Why did president Bush launch us into a recession? Why are there so many racist republicans that there can be a whole website devoted to it Republicans are Racists | …And they're not shy about it. Republicans have alot of the same issue Democrats have... None of those parties are any good for the country.
I see your confusion. You conflate "republican" with "conservative" or the conservative right. Stop asking people who are not the spokespeople for the republican party to explain why the GOP is not conservative.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:47 AM

204 posts, read 309,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Said WHAT?
Oh, you deleted your post. You know well what was stated.

Quote:
I see your confusion. You conflate "republican" with "conservative" or the conservative right. Stop asking people who are not the spokespeople for the republican party to explain why the GOP is not conservative.
If the GOP isn't conservative then, Liberals aren't democrats.

The point of this is there needs to be a medium. Socially the conservatives always fail. Economically the Liberals haven't been strong either.

Their needs to be a party for people who embody some of the beliefs of both parties. That is what a moderate is.

Old 12-22-2013, 12:51 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Oh, you deleted your post. You know well what was stated.
I have not deleted ANYTHING. Period.

Quote:

If the GOP isn't conservative then, Liberals aren't democrats.
Logic fail. Hard.

Refer to: non sequitur

Quote:
The point of this is there needs to be a medium. Socially the conservatives always fail. Economically the Liberals haven't been strong either.
Why? Why do you think people with no idea what to think are those who hold the wisdom in the world?

Quote:
Their needs to be a party for people who embody some of the beliefs of both parties. That is what a moderate is.
Who gives a flying fig what a political party believes? Noone but party aparatchiks.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:42 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I would define moderate as someone that is fiscally conservative and liberal on the social issues, I think that is where most people in the US are. There is not a whole of difference between what the center left and center right want except perhaps some disagreements over how to get from point A to point B.
Then how did a Marxist like Obama get elected? The so-called Moderates had Romney as a choice but they didn't vote for him.

Old 12-22-2013, 01:45 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Taking no stand on social issues is not moderate....and we are drowning in that mindset.

America will fail because so few take a stand on social issues....or anything else that matters.
Yes, that's actually what far left liberals claim to be --- the far left that wants massive government spending will claim they are fiscally conservative. It just never sounds right to admit you are fiscally irresponsible which is what the liberals really are in a huge way.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:41 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
The fact is moderates do not vote in the primaries at the same rate those further left and right do.

Old 12-22-2013, 07:26 PM

204 posts, read 309,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Then how did a Marxist like Obama get elected? The so-called Moderates had Romney as a choice but they didn't vote for him.
Economically, I usually side with the Republicans.

Honestly, there was no good choice in 2012. It was Obama vs Romney. One hidden snake vs the other blatant snake. (actually there was Ron Paul)

Obama lied but at least he had the decency to hide his lies until he was president.

Mitt Romney demeaned capitalist for outsourcing when that was how he got rich. Mitt Romney lead the board of Bain capital, one of the biggest supporters of American Outsourcing.

Mitt Romney was the biggest flip flopper that ever ran for president. Even respectable republicans didn't want to vote for him. The GOP shot them-self in the foot by picking Romney.

Just some of his flip flops there is many more:
"Flip 1: “Roe v. Wade has gone too far.”
(reference) Flop 1: “I believe that since Roe v. Wade has been the law for 20 years we should sustain and support it.”
(
reference)
Flip 2: “I respect and will protect a woman’s right to choose.”
(reference)
Flop 2: “I never really called myself pro-choice.”
(reference)
Flip 3: “I’ve been a hunter pretty much all my life.”
(reference)
Flop 3: “Any description of my being a hunter is an overstatement of capability.”
(reference)
Flip 4: “It was not my desire to go off and serve in Vietnam.”
(reference)
Flop 4: “I longed in many respects to actually be in Vietnam and be representing our country there.”
(reference)
Flip 5: “I’m not trying to return to Reagan-Bush.”
(reference)
Flop 5: “Ronald Reagan is… my hero.”
(reference)
Flip 6: “I will work and fight for stem cell research.”
(reference)
Flop 6: “In the end, I became persuaded that the stem-cell debate was grounded in a false premise.”
(reference)
Flip 7: “I think the minimum wage ought to keep pace with inflation.”
(reference)
Flop 7: “There’s no question raising the minimum wage excessively causes a loss of jobs.”
(reference)
Flip 8: “I like mandates. The mandates work.”
(reference)
video
video 2
Flop 8: “I think it’s unconstitutional on the 10th Amendment front.”
(reference)
Flip 9: “I saw my father march with Martin Luther King.”
(reference)
Flop 9: “I did not see it with my own eyes.”
(reference)
Flip 10: “This is a completely airtight kennel mounted on the top of our car.”
(reference)
Flop 10: “They’re not happy that my dog loves fresh air.”
(reference)
Flip 11: “It’s not worth moving heaven and earth spending billions of dollars just trying to catch one person.”
(reference)
Flop 11: “He’s going to pay, and he will die.”
(reference)
Flip 12: “Those… paying taxes and not taking government benefits should begin a process toward application for citizenship.”
(reference)
Flop 12: “Amnesty only led to more people coming into the country.”
(reference)
Flip 13: “I’m not in favor of privatizing Social Security or making cuts.”
(reference)
Flop 13: “Social Security’s the easiest and that’s because you can give people a personal account.”
(reference)
Flip 14: “Based on the numbers of American Muslims… I cannot see that a cabinet position would be justified.”
(reference)
Flop 14: “A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith.”
(reference)
Flip 15: “I’m a strong believer in stating your position and not wavering.”
(reference)
Flop 15: “I changed my position.”
(reference)
Flip 16: “I would like to have campaign spending limits.”
(reference)
Flop 16: “The American people should be free to advocate for their candidates and their positions without burdensome limitations.”
(reference)
Flip 17: “I supported the assault weapon ban.”
(reference)
Flop 17: “I don’t support any gun control legislation.”
(reference)
Flip 18: “The TARP program… was nevertheless necessary to keep banks from collapsing in a cascade of failures.”
(reference)
Flop 18: “When government is… bailing out banks… we have every good reason to be alarmed.”
(reference)
Flip 19: “I’m going to take burdens off the back of the auto industry.”
(reference)
Flop 19: “Detroit needs a turnaround, not a check.”
(reference)
Flip 20: “When I first heard of the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell policy, I thought it sounded awfully silly.”
(reference)
Flop 20: “‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell has worked well.”
(reference)
Flip 21: “I believe the tax on capital gains should be zero.”
(reference)
Flop 21: “It’s a tax cut for fat cats.”
(reference)
Flip 22: “These carbon emission limits will provide real and immediate progress.”
(reference)
Flop 22: “Republicans should never abandon pro-growth conservative principles in an effort to embrace the ideas of Al Gore.”
(reference)
Flip 23: “Relative to the leading candidates, some people see me as being more conservative.”
(reference)
Flop 23: “I’m not the most conservative candidate.”
(reference)
Flip 24: “It does take a village.”
(reference)
Flop 24: “It takes a family.”
(reference)
Flip 25: “I don’t line up with the NRA.”
(reference)
Flop 25: “I’m a member of the [NRA].”
(reference)
Flip 26: “The all-Democrat stimulus that was passed in early 2009 will accelerate the timing of the start of the recovery…”
(reference)
Flop 26: “The all-Democrat stimulus passed in early 2009 has been a failure.”
(reference)
Flip 27: “…the costs of health care will be reduced.”
(ref: reference)
Flop 27: “We were unable to deal with… health care costs in Massachusetts.”
(ref:
reference)
Flip 28: “If Massachusetts succeeds in implementing it, then that will be a model for the nation.”
(reference)
Flop 28: “What works in one state may not be the answer for another.”

Old 12-22-2013, 07:29 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Moderates tend not to be very politically motivated. As such they have no power so what good will more of them do? For what you want to work you don't need more moderates you need more effective moderates.

Old 12-22-2013, 08:17 PM

1,978 posts, read 1,551,887 times
My Gosh, r4d10, how did you do all that flip,flop stuff? Did you type it all out or copy and paste? Lotta work!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies