Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 02:39 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,263,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
CNN’s Jake Tapper just comes out and says it:

I think the American people, honestly, want security over freedom.
- Jake Tapper

Compare that to Benjamin Franklin:

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

I agree with Franklin. I chose freedom. How about you?

You choose freedom, until one of your family members gets blown into a different zip code. Then you will be the first screaming and yelling about how we are "too open a society," and "there should be laws."

Spend a few weeks looking for your family members bodies parts spread all over the county. Then get back to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 02:50 PM

37 posts, read 31,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
You choose freedom, until one of your family members gets blown into a different zip code. Then you will be the first screaming and yelling about how we are "too open a society," and "there should be laws."

Spend a few weeks looking for your family members bodies parts spread all over the county. Then get back to me...
This is laughable..... And ignorant

Old 12-22-2013, 02:54 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,158,788 times
Quote:

- Jake Tapper

Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.
- Benjamin Franklin

In terms of what context exactly?

Old 12-22-2013, 02:58 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,858,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Yes, it's gone. You have almost none left.
I had no idea I lived in China. This is news to me. Last time I checked, I can criticize the government on here, and you too, without fear of reprimand unlike in China

Old 12-22-2013, 03:02 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,176,264 times
I prefer balance over extremes. Snooping the emails of the average american is an invasion of privacy. Snooping the emails of people with questionable connections is good police work.
As far as spying on other countries? No harm no foul.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:12 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,755,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee

- Jake Tapper

- Benjamin Franklin

Only the sheeple want SECURITY because they blindly believe the BS told to them to keep them IN CONTROL!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2013, 03:35 PM

5,580 posts, read 7,977,685 times
Quote:

- Jake Tapper
Even if a majority did, they have no right to violate the freedoms of the minority who do not. Also, since a majority of Americans now believe the federal government is a threat to their personal rights and freedoms, more people fear the government more than terrorists than vice versa, 60% are more concerned about civil liberties than fighting terror, and 59% oppose the NSA snooping program, I would say that public opinion has left Jake Tapper behind. His statement may have been true a decade ago but now public opinion is vastly different. The public now recognize that they will in fact be less secure without the protection freedom provides against the government, and a government that suppresses and monitors everyone is that much less focused on seeking out terrorists.

Sorry, Jake - the American people have wised up to the predatory shenanigans of the regime you're obviously desperately trying to salvage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Hard cases make bad law; my family being killed (and having their freedom violated) is no justification for someone else to violate the rights and freedoms of other innocent people. I am of sound and strong enough mind to recognize this and not let logic be overridden by grief; many others are not and have differing beliefs and inclinations on these issues. An excellent example would be the Newtown families who are against gun control, contrasted with the ones who are in favor of gun control.

Quote:
The odds of my entire family (or yours for that matter) being struck by lightning is higher than being killed in a terrorist attack, so don't act as if millions of bodies would be flying all over the country the second you stopped snooping and preying upon innocent citizens, the vast majority of which aren't even terrorists in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I had no idea I lived in China. This is news to me. Last time I checked, I can criticize the government on here, and you too, without fear of reprimand unlike in China
Yes, I suppose this is such a friendly and enjoyable thing the government is doing to people who dare to protest about an issue, even when it doesn't have much to do with the government :

The government doesn't suppress talking, but doing anything to criticize the government is routinely (not reliably, but routinely) suppressed by the kind of arbitrary sadism and naked force that people like you have presented as heroic police work, and this government claims for itself unlimited power to imprison, torture, and kill anyone it chooses without even the most limited judicial review. The existence and utilization of a legalized power of this nature, on however small a scale, is what distinguishes a police state from a free state.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:41 PM

4,566 posts, read 3,384,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Are you really sure of that?

Old 12-22-2013, 03:50 PM

131 posts, read 223,752 times
Quote:

- Jake Tapper

- Benjamin Franklin

Me too.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:51 PM

15,590 posts, read 10,327,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Are you really sure of that?
Some people haven't heard of the IRS targeting the Tea Party, Snowden's revelations, charges levied against James Rosen, among so many other methods of intimidation used on those who dared to disagree with this government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies