Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,071,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The guy has the right to voice his OPINION. A&E has the right to cancel his show.
The thing is, the guy will probably walk away from the show if bending his views is part of the discussion. On the other hand A&E is trying to find any way possible to keep the show on the air because of the ratings.
Who's gonna flinch?
They were still on A&E last night...Sunday 22 December 2013...

Old 12-23-2013, 07:16 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,980,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Support a bigot or support an individuals right to an opinion? I disagree with the man, but feel he has a right to feel however he wants. The man didn't make the statements on the show and I doubt those who are offended even watch his show so what exactly is the big deal?

Indeed.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:19 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,436,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
The guy has the right to voice his OPINION. A&E has the right to cancel his show.
The thing is, the guy will probably walk away from the show if bending his views is part of the discussion. On the other hand A&E is trying to find any way possible to keep the show on the air because of the ratings.
Who's gonna flinch?
But their decision to suspend him (they did not cancel the show) came from a rather vocal activist group, not their viewers contacting the station.

Cracker Barrel did the same knee-jerk reaction to this activist group and their customers let them know loud and clear that this activist group did not represent them.

There's a difference between being bullied by an activist group and reacting to customer feedback.

GLAAD does NOT represent the the viewers and fans of the show even though they said they do.

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
They were still on A&E last night...Sunday 22 December 2013...
They had finished production. So the next season shows will air with Phil in them. What's interesting is when they want to start filming the next shows. What will happen then?

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Look, Phil spoke his mind, which is his right to do. A&E as his employer has a right not to like it and fire him for it. Basically, I think Phils hiatus won't be long. If it is, then the family will most likely stand behind him and no longer do the show.

Personally, I don't watch reality shows, except for the first 48. I don't see what the big draw is.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:21 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Phil Robertson has stated he will not back off his statements. Be interesting to see what his followers will do. GLAAD sure to be in a frenzy.

'Duck Dynasty' patriarch Phil Robertson says he will 'not give or back off' after homosexuality comments | Fox News
Does anyone from GLADD actually watch Duck Dynasty?

Leaving everything gay or religious out of it...I don't watch anything on A&E but it simply mystifies me that A&E doesn't know the core audience for this big hit show before making a very harmful business decision or why Robertson was doing a GQ interview, in the first place. It's such a mismatch. I'm wondering if there was more to the story money-wise.

Were the contracts of the DD people coming to an end and they were looking for a boatload of money to renew their contracts? So A&E lit the match thinking the DD people would be grateful just to be offered a new contract after the brouhaha, totally miscalculating the audience and the Robertson family reaction?

There's a money connection to this whole thing, I just know it.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,210,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Look, Phil spoke his mind, which is his right to do. A&E as his employer has a right not to like it and fire him for it. Basically, I think Phils hiatus won't be long. If it is, then the family will most likely stand behind him and no longer do the show.

Personally, I don't watch reality shows, except for the first 48. I don't see what the big draw is.
I don't watch it either. I don't watch most reality shows except for Pawn Stars and the like. However, I get irritated when some organization gets its panties in a twist over an opinion that was asked and answered.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But their decision to suspend him (they did not cancel the show) came from a rather vocal activist group, not their viewers contacting the station.

Cracker Barrel did the same knee-jerk reaction to this activist group and their customers let them know loud and clear that this activist group did not represent them.

There's a difference between being bullied by an activist group and reacting to customer feedback.

GLAAD does NOT represent the the viewers and fans of the show even though they said they do.
GLADD doesn't represent the vast majority of the population either, they just have the liberal's ear and of course the media who loves a good cat fight to gain ratings share.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,993,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does anyone from GLADD actually watch Duck Dynasty?

Leaving everything gay or religious out of it...I don't watch anything on A&E but it simply mystifies me that A&E doesn't know the core audience for this big hit show before making a very harmful business decision or why Robertson was doing a GQ interview, in the first place. It's such a mismatch. I'm wondering if there was more to the story money-wise.

Were the contracts of the DD people coming to an end and they were looking for a boatload of money to renew their contracts? So A&E lit the match thinking the DD people would be grateful just to be offered a new contract after the brouhaha, totally miscalculating the audience and the Robertson family reaction?

There's a money connection to this whole thing, I just know it.
^^^^this^^^^^

Old 12-23-2013, 07:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,591,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
I hope A&E realizes that gays are about 1% of the total population and probably don't watch the show. So they should reinstate Phil and get on with the program.

There has been a law on the books for over 230 years, that discriminating against Christians is unconstitutional. Meaning the 2nd amendment can be used do defend it.

Phil spoke his mind, in words. He is not forcing anyone to do anything.

Now, A&E on the otherhand have use the punishment of force to discriminate.

Firing someone because they are openly gay.....
Firing someone because they are openly Christian.....
Firing someone because they are proud to be Black.....
Firing someone because they are proud to be White....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.