Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 AM

2,004 posts, read 3,404,542 times

Advertisements

Jeeze yall!!! Although I support Phil Robertson's right to speak his mind without ANY repercussions from ANYONE, is he really such a big part of the grand scheme of things to warrant 55 pages of posts from so many? As for myself, I could care less what Phil Robertson thinks about gays or blacks. Or me, for that matter.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:05 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
Jeeze yall!!! Although I support Phil Robertson's right to speak his mind without ANY repercussions from ANYONE, is he really such a big part of the grand scheme of things to warrant 55 pages of posts from so many? As for myself, I could care less what Phil Robertson thinks about gays or blacks. Or me, for that matter.
It's not about Robertson. It's about someone losing their job for plainly speaking their beliefs. It's about groups like GLAAD coercing businesses that don't go along with the anti-Christian acceptance of the homosexual life style, like Chik-Filet. It's about an attack on both Christian beliefs and the Constitution.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:22 AM

30,286 posts, read 51,811,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's not about Robertson. It's about someone losing their job for plainly speaking their beliefs. It's about groups like GLAAD coercing businesses that don't go along with the anti-Christian acceptance of the homosexual life style, like Chik-Filet. It's about an attack on both Christian beliefs and the Constitution.
Nobody is attacking Christian beliefs, particularly since being anti-gay is NOT a Christian "value." This also has nothing to do with the Constitution, seeing as his Constitutional rights haven't been violated in any way whatsoever. Stop playing the victim for a moment, and try analyzing this from a non-biased (purely logical & legal) perspective.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:45 AM

16,433 posts, read 22,141,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Nobody is attacking Christian beliefs, particularly since being anti-gay is NOT a Christian "value." This also has nothing to do with the Constitution, seeing as his Constitutional rights haven't been violated in any way whatsoever. Stop playing the victim for a moment, and try analyzing this from a non-biased (purely logical & legal) perspective.
Being "anti-gay" is Christian. It's also Moslem, Hindu, Bhuddist, Jewish, and any other major world religion. Homosexual behavior is condemned in all. Only gay apologists twist and distort scripture to attempt to mean otherwise.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,164,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
You know that your lack of caring might offend some special interest group so what are you going to do if they go after you for not caring?

Old 12-27-2013, 04:50 AM

7,971 posts, read 7,322,304 times
Quote:
Being "anti-gay" is Christian. It's also Moslem, Hindu, Bhuddist, Jewish, and any other major world religion. Homosexual behavior is condemned in all. Only gay apologists twist and distort scripture to attempt to mean otherwise.

Muslims are EXTREMELY anti-gay. Christians just speak their minds about homosexuality - but the Muslims flap their tongues and stone the gays (as well as other barbaric practices). Yet the pro-gay crowd puts all their energy into fighting the CHRISTIANS.

You guys aren't AFRAID of the Muslims, are you?

Old 12-27-2013, 07:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,917,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Ok, I get that the Phil Robertson thing was upsetting to some people...I get that...but this is just getting insane. I believe that this is becomming a competition between the two loudest, most politically connected minority advocacy groups (NAACP & GLAAD) over who can be the most vocally offended and outraged over these stupid comments.

Jesse Jackson is now saying that Phil Robertson is worse than the man who put Rosa Parks in the back of the bus..........Really!?!? He simply stated what he says that he witnessed. Sure, his comments were clearly naive and ignorant, but no one with exception to Phil knows that HE personally experienced. Only Phil Robertson knows what Phil Robertson saw and was subjected to on a daily basis.

I feel very sorry for Jesse Jackson....I would hate it if my professional career hinged upon continued instances of the thing I supposedly fight. Jackson clearly salivates over issues like this because without them, he's just another irrelevant, loudmouth, "reverend."

If Jackson TRULY cared about fighting the real injustices against the Black community he'd be out fighting drug use in inner-cities, fighting for more involved community outreach programs, lobbying for a more progressive tax structure and local investments, better inner-city job creation, crime reduction measures, and a higher minimum wage.

This is merely a PR crusade to pad his name, his pockets, and his relevance.

Jesse Jackson -- Phil Robertson Is WORSE Than Rosa Parks Bus Driver | TMZ.com
Here's where I'm confused <bold>. If this was what he witnessed then how are his comments naive or ignorant? Because it doesn't fit in with the P.C. story that all blacks were treated horribly and hated life? Does it matter that Phil was picking cotton RIGHT with them? Not as the "boss man" but in the dirt?
It was what he experienced and unless someone else who was there rises up to dispute his recollections then they stand as stated.

Good old Jesse (everybody who disagrees with me is a racist who shall pay ME) may not like what Phil said and others may not be happy that it flies in the face of the narrative that's been preached as gospel over the years but that doesn't make what Phil said wrong in any way.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,432,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Liberals - they support him being fired for speaking his mind.
A baseless comment with no facts behind it. Prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
But isn't Phil an employee of A&E?? If he is, then its not really censorship, he can say what he wants, BUT then has to deal with his employers reaction to it. Employment at will right? The right sprays it's collective shorts in ecstasy over the powerful hold employers have over their employees, but now that it bit one of their ilk in the backside, they cry censorship! Did you cry censorship over the Dixie Chicks backlash??? What if Phil had been punished for speaking out in FAVOR of gays and such? Would there still be the collective hoof-wringing from the right?? Can you say Hypocrites???
I know - their hypocrisy is stunning. Who should tell A&E who they can hire and fire and/or suspend?

Doesn't the almighty job creator have absolute control over all that? Employment at Will; right to work; these are all things the conservative support until - it is used against THEM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, liberals support A&E doing what it feels is right as a private company. Are you against the private industry being able to hire and fire who they choose?
I guess they are!

Old 12-27-2013, 07:50 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,172,304 times
Quote:
Hinduism certainly does not condemn Homosexuals, Buddhism does based on the region, but not so much as a religion. The condemnation comes from the teaching that promiscuous sex of any kind leads to suffering. Most Modern Monks dismiss any condemnation of homosexuals as a relic from past cultural prejudices.
Buddha teaches to look within and focus on how to make yourself the better person.
In the case of Phil the Thai people who are by far majority Buddhist would say Mai Bpen Rai. No problem, not my business, don't worry about it. It can mean any of those things and more.
Phil has an opinion. He didn't state it on his show and those who are offended most likely don't watch the show and never will. This is a case of people getting upset that are not even affected.
I hope A&E backs down only because I detest these groups trying to force their will on everyone else.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:05 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,268,389 times
What ticks me off about this entire fiasco is that these business entities listened to a vocal activist group and acted.
They didn't wait for viewer/customer feedback.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies