Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 08:23 PM

18,453 posts, read 15,234,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takkarr View Post
Really? Then why are most people in fear of wishing people Merry Christmas and say Happy Holidays instead when referring to Christmas?

Holiday maket, holiday shops, holiday gifts, holiday sale, holiday travel, holiday party, winter/holiday break, and sometimes holiday tree !!

Christmas make many atheists & Jews getting heart attacks. Muslims and people of other faiths do not care (I'll be honest)

BTW forgot about Obama's 'holiday' card
Haha. Right. Heart attacks.

How many atheists or Jews do you personally know who are offended by Merry Christmas? I know plenty of Jews and atheists, and I have never heard anyone claim offense to the term. I only hear people like you claiming they are offended. Stores probably have employees say happy holidays because they are a business. They want to be as inclusive as they possibly can be. It's smart business. But they are not doing it to avoid a negative reaction. They are doing it to foster a positive reaction in as many people as possible. If you say Merry Christmas to a Jew, Hindu, Muslim, or whatever, they will probably be somewhat indifferent. If they are like me, they will say Merry Christmas back, and be on their way without giving it too much thought. That is different than being offended. A business wants its customers to feel good about their experience, not indifferent. Happy Holidays is a way to ensure that they are wishing everyone happiness. If you want to cry about not being singled out as special, then that really is a problem you need to work on yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM

37,160 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Do Christmas haters feel offended when they hear the word pronounced as 'cris-mus'?
Not in the South, at any rate.

There's no reason for offense when someone offer good thoughts for you. I would imagine that even Jesus would not have been offended if someone had told Him "Happy Holidays!" instead of "Merry Youmas!".

Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 AM

15,523 posts, read 10,487,502 times
Bing Crosby recorded a song by that name, there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:31 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,103,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
After thinking about it, this belongs in the controversies forum.

In the winter there are several holidays, including religious holidays and the celebration for the arrival of the New Year. In addition, the phrase holiday can also mean a vacation, or a break from work. When it's not a specific holiday (the 4th of July can be considered a holiday in the USA), but it's the time of the winter when school children and certain workers get time off, I wish them to have "Happy Holidays", referring to the time off for whatever celebration. On the day of the holiday I am not so obtuse to continue to say "Happy Holidays", and instead say "Happy *insert holiday here*".

...Yet people still take offense to the phrase "Happy Holidays". Am I an impolite and ignorant retard? Also, pardon me, English is not my first language.

Because Faux News and Sarah Palin say it is. I'm a Christian and I don't find the greeting Happy Holidays the least bit offensive.

Old 12-24-2013, 03:45 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,823,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid
Yes this thread IS GONNA GET HOT!!

I am not offended by it,i think just its stupid to say HAPPY HOLIDAYS,especially now when CHRISTMAS IS THE ONLY HOLIDAY COMING UP!!

I was @ salvation army today and I ran itno a couple people who when I said "Merry christmas" to them,they said "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" to me.......... Quite dumb!!

Old 12-24-2013, 03:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes this thread IS GONNA GET HOT!!

I am not offended by it,i think just its stupid to say HAPPY HOLIDAYS,especially now when CHRISTMAS IS THE ONLY HOLIDAY COMING UP!!

I was @ salvation army today and I ran itno a couple people who when I said "Merry christmas" to them,they said "HAPPY HOLIDAYS" to me.......... Quite dumb!!
Many people celebrate New Years as a holiday. You might consider that quite dumb but you are the minority. Also, there could be other holidays that you and I are not aware of.

Happy holidays is really a general saying for the entire season.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:32 PM

18,453 posts, read 7,080,753 times
I work with a few Jewish people, when we were closing up shop and going home yesterday they said "Merry Christmas" to me and I returned their sentiments with "Happy Hanukkah"

......no one said "Happy Holidays" and no ones head exploded.

Imagine that....

Theres absolutely nothing wrong with the phrase "Happy Holidays" unless you're saying it under duress.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:33 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,122,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I work with a few Jewish people, when we were closing up shop and going home yesterday they said "Merry Christmas" to me and I returned their sentiments with "Happy Hanukkah"

......no one said "Happy Holidays" and no ones head exploded.

Imagine that....
and.... This never happened.

I kid.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:52 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,976,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post

In the winter there are several holidays, including religious holidays and the celebration for the arrival of the New Year. In addition, the phrase holiday can also mean a vacation, or a break from work. When it's not a specific holiday (the 4th of July can be considered a holiday in the USA), but it's the time of the winter when school children and certain workers get time off, I wish them to have "Happy Holidays", referring to the time off for whatever celebration. On the day of the holiday I am not so obtuse to continue to say "Happy Holidays", and instead say "Happy *insert holiday here*".

...Yet people still take offense to the phrase "Happy Holidays". Am I an impolite and ignorant retard? Also, pardon me, English is not my first language.
It's not offensive in the least. People are thin skinned and look for something to be offended by.

Old 12-24-2013, 05:35 PM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
There's nothing wrong with people saying Happy Holidays...or Merry Christmas...or Happy Hanukkah. I'm not offended by anyone wishing me well on any holiday; my only beef is with the notion that anything other than Happy Holidays is somehow offensive or exclusionary. I have no issue with the greeting itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies