Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 01:59 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
I guess it was a slow day for Tea Party type of reports. The story ran in April and Fox is the only place where it still exists. Why dont you run a story on Medicare or VA fraud? Guess you dont want to offend the base.
lol, actually I was reading article on The Black Sphere
The Black SphereCulture Archives - The Black Sphere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 02:04 PM

7,808 posts, read 6,387,167 times
They need to foreclose on her house and seize any asset she has.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:04 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,273,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I am not sure why fire trucks show up but the police must clear the scene making it is sure it is safe for the medics before paramedics can go on scene.
Really? Your ignorance to the issues astound me. First off, the fire department goes to the scene because they are paramedics and will get there before anyone else; including the ambulance. In the city I work in, the ambulance could be coming from 20+ mins away and that is not unusual. That way, the fire department paramedics can stabilize the patient long before the ambulance gets there (that was one of those union things, which came about 20+ years ago, in order NOT to downsize the fire department).

The police must clear the scene? Huh? For a medical call, the fire department can roll "Code 3." That means lights and siren. I CANNOT (more liberal, attorney reasons). The fire department is onscene at these calls, 95% of the time before I am or any other police officer. They have the person awake, which 99% of the time its just a drunk, and ready when I get there. Then the BIG question comes into play: Do I arrest them and take them to jail? Or have the ambulance take them to the emergency room and medically clear them first.

9 out of 10 times, they go to the emergency room first (at your tax dime). Why? Because if I take them to the jail, the jail will just call out another fire engine and ambulance and have them transported to the hospital anyway. Too much (read again, liberal) liability, for accepting them, without a doctor medically clearing them before incarceration.

Yeah, I know, its simple and easy when you are sitting at home, having a few martini's to "do the right thing." Its a whole different issue when you actually live it, breath it, and have to do it for real.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:18 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,664,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
No wonder health care is so expensive, if someone can run up $400,000 in expenses and not ever be treated for any sickness.
Yep. It's all part of the fraud.

Old 12-28-2013, 04:45 AM

23,170 posts, read 26,179,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Really? Your ignorance to the issues astound me. First off, the fire department goes to the scene because they are paramedics and will get there before anyone else; including the ambulance. In the city I work in, the ambulance could be coming from 20+ mins away and that is not unusual. That way, the fire department paramedics can stabilize the patient long before the ambulance gets there (that was one of those union things, which came about 20+ years ago, in order NOT to downsize the fire department).

Perhaps you can explain why the vehicle used is a freaking expensive to operate first truck??
Why have departments not provided an ordinary van/whatever for this type of call?
After reading the cost of taking a fully equipped fire truck just a few miles, it can't be to save money on an extra vehicle.
Last summer I watched two....two...fire engines just sit there until an ambulance arrived,picked up someone at a medical clinic (obviously lots of trained personnel handy)
As well as the absolute waste of resources, I kept thinking about a call coming in for an actual fire while those two were dispatched so uselessly.

Old 12-28-2013, 05:57 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,363,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post

The police must clear the scene? Huh? For a medical call, the fire department can roll "Code 3." That means lights and siren. I CANNOT (more liberal, attorney reasons). The fire department is onscene at these calls, 95% of the time before I am or any other police officer. They have the person awake, which 99% of the time its just a drunk, and ready when I get there. Then the BIG question comes into play: Do I arrest them and take them to jail? Or have the ambulance take them to the emergency room and medically clear them first.

9 out of 10 times, they go to the emergency room first (at your tax dime). Why? Because if I take them to the jail, the jail will just call out another fire engine and ambulance and have them transported to the hospital anyway. Too much (read again, liberal) liability, for accepting them, without a doctor medically clearing them before incarceration.

Yeah, I know, its simple and easy when you are sitting at home, having a few martini's to "do the right thing." Its a whole different issue when you actually live it, breath it, and have to do it for real.
Good informative post I just wonder what the cost is to scrape drunks off the sidewalk? I would guess it is at least a 1,000 bucks.

Maybe someday their will be a leader who will implement a don't see don't tell policy, just cruise by them and see nothing. It might come to that if the city is looking to cut expenses, picking up drunks and free taxi rides would be on the block.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:03 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Perhaps you can explain why the vehicle used is a freaking expensive to operate first truck??
Why have departments not provided an ordinary van/whatever for this type of call?
After reading the cost of taking a fully equipped fire truck just a few miles, it can't be to save money on an extra vehicle.
Last summer I watched two....two...fire engines just sit there until an ambulance arrived,picked up someone at a medical clinic (obviously lots of trained personnel handy)
As well as the absolute waste of resources, I kept thinking about a call coming in for an actual fire while those two were dispatched so uselessly.
My fiance has an illness that causes her to almost call an ambulance monthly for a trip to the hospital.

We used to live directly across the street fro the ambulance station, and everytime we'd call we'd say

"just send an ambulance, we dont need the fire trucks, they cant help" (gf is allergic to the pain meds the fire trucks are authorized to have), and sure enough, the fire trucks would show up first and then continue to announce to us that they cant help, and we'd all be sitting there waiting for the paramedics, who once again, is stationed right across the street.

Last edited by pghquest; 12-28-2013 at 06:25 AM..

Old 12-28-2013, 06:17 AM

8,051 posts, read 12,761,708 times
Quote:
I am not sure why fire trucks show up but the police must clear the scene making it is sure it is safe for the medics before paramedics can go on scene.
I think the firemen show up in case the medics need help moving the patient. With close to half the people in this country obese and 30% morbidly so it often takes more than two people to move someone.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:33 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Wow, such a good looking woman too.

Old 12-28-2013, 06:38 AM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
The firemen are usually sitting around playing Pinochle anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies