Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 07:09 AM

25,779 posts, read 16,404,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
It’s the email no employee ever wants to receive, let alone just days before Christmas.

“All staff is terminated,” Snarf’s Sub Shop in Chicago said in an email to its 20 employees.

Read story and full email here:

Read the Now-Viral Email a Chicago Sandwich Shop Sent Its Employees Just Days Before Christmas | TheBlaze.com
Now his unemployment insurance will double. Very smart move.

I guess if you think it's funny to see low wage workers lose their job 2 days before Christmas? Wow, take a look at your life and in the mirror.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 07:12 AM

18,837 posts, read 37,249,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post

I guess if you think it's funny to see low wage workers lose their job 2 days before Christmas? Wow, take a look at your life and in the mirror.
I wonder how many of those employees are eligible for UI, if they were short term, the UI goes against previous employers. If illegal, no UI at all.

This is capitalism at its finest. Enjoy the freedom of living in America.

Wal Mart maybe hiring, I doubt the wages are any higher.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM

79,907 posts, read 43,959,063 times
Quote:

While I do not think it's funny (I lost a job just before Christmas 1984 when the place I worked for went out of business) there are many people who need to look in the mirror. We are arguing for a huge influx of cheap labor to come into the market which is going to do nothing but drive down wages and put many unwilling to work for those wages out of a job.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:16 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,734,491 times
Quote:

Thank you I feel the same, I am glad so many here feel so much compassion for their fellow man.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:19 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,164,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Sorry, I find no humor in people loosing their jobs, especially at Christmas.
They have the right to protest under the law, just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses, and I would not be surprised if this gets challenged in court under the labor laws. You generally don't fire people when you close to remodel, you lay them off and call them back when you reopen. I hope the employees sue.
Maybe the employees were dead weight slackers and this last bit was the final straw? America is the most litigious nation on the planet. There is a very good reason why lawyers are hated, they are part of what is destroying this nation.
How did the employees protest? Maybe the owner was paying all that he could afford. I don't know the whole story, but I support a business owners right to fire employees that don't produce.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:21 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,734,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Because they will be needing to make their own clothes? (sorry, I do typo's all the time, nothing personal I just couldn't resist in this case)
No prob, I do have a sense of humor, I changed it.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:26 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,414,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Thank you I feel the same, I am glad so many here feel so much compassion for their fellow man.
You think it's wrong to fire people who are striking but no compassion for the guy who can't run his business because he has no employees. Hypocrite. I think it's HILARIOUS that they got fired.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:28 AM

8,587 posts, read 9,076,524 times
If they did not produce how does one afford to close and remodel? Also, in the food business its pretty much a bad move to fire the cooks who brought in the customers. It only takes one bad food experience in the food business to lose customers very quickly. I think many will be rehired. This maybe a way for key employees to collect unemployment while they are remodeling.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 AM

14,460 posts, read 11,224,531 times
From other stories the firings because of striking employees are only very thin speculation being made by some worker's right's advocacy group.

Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,688,962 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies