Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM

237 posts, read 191,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Again, who promised anyone that everything would be easy?

When my first daughter was born I was working two minimum wage jobs. One full time one part time. It wasn't easy.

What the hell is fair and how exactly do you measure it?

You did what you had to, to improve yourself. What was wrong with that? To note that you aren't entitled to "easy" or "fair" isn't a position of superiority. It's simply noting the basics of life.
He left america to improve himself I believe since his post is sarcastically praising america.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 03:31 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,033,442 times
Quote:
I have no problem with a minimum wage. A minimum wage was never intended to be a living wage. When I started working and was paid minimum wage I didn't expect to be able to pay rent, utilities and a car payment with it. I knew to do that I would have to improve my lot.

Problem is, again 99% of people on min wage DO want to improve their lot, but are playing against a stacked deck. wages have been driven down due to corporate greed, so for a great many workers of ALL different qualifications, it's either minwage or nothing!! Here min wage is almost $16 USD, folks can live decently on it, thus reducing the need for govt help, they have greater disposable income, etc. Australia shows you can treat workers well, and STILL have a strong economy.

Side note to all you righties. Just think if min wage WAS increased to $15 per hour. That means all people would have more income to buy guns and ammo-now isn't THAT a righties wet dream???

Old 12-25-2013, 03:32 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Exactly, today isn't 1976. The minimum wage could go much longer in 1976 then it ever could today.
True but not comparable. In 1976 you didn't have to pay $150 a month for cable. You got 3 channels over the air. You didn't have to pay $200 a month for cell service. People didn't go out and get the latest phone, television, computer every year.

If you want all of these things it's not up to others to make sure you can get it. I had to save for a long time to get a new television. There were times I did without a phone completely.

I also didn't get back many times more than I paid in taxes come tax time either.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaveWI View Post
Problem is, again 99% of people on min wage DO want to improve their lot, but are playing against a stacked deck.
That's nothing more than a meaningless statement. Prove it.

Quote:
wages have been driven down due to corporate greed, so for a great many workers of ALL different qualifications, it's either minwage or nothing!! Here min wage is almost $16 USD, folks can live decently on it, thus reducing the need for govt help, they have greater disposable income, etc. Australia shows you can treat workers well, and STILL have a strong economy.
Job creation in Australia's economy remains sluggish, with a big fall in full-time jobs during October being only partially offset an increase in part-time positions.

Participation rate at seven-year low

Youth unemployment high

Adi Prasad graduated with a Bachelor of Economics from Macquarie University over a year ago, and with dreams of working in the non-profit sector, immediately began looking for a full time job.

But he says things have not gone to plan.

Australia's unemployment rate at 5.7 per cent as job creation remains sluggish - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Quote:
Side note to all you righties. Just think if min wage WAS increased to $15 per hour. That means all people would have more income to buy guns and ammo-now isn't THAT a righties wet dream???
This is what is wrong with politics. Your statement is simply a lashing out at some boogyman under your bed. You can't discuss anything without someone starting with the foolish attempts to demonize others based upon nothing more than their biases and bigotry.

Old 12-25-2013, 03:53 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
Yes, but their is more to life then money. Are sweatshops okay? They make profits too?

I love profit, but their is a reason minimum wage exist. Do you know that companies back in the day exploied workers for absurdly low wages.

Oh and I'm still waiting for you to prove me wrong about Romney and prove me a liberal.

Man deep inside you know I'm right. Life isn't just about money, and what's the point of money if you trampled over everyone to get it.
The wage that these people are earning is fair market value.

No, you are not right.

If these people want to make more money, they are free to improve their skill level and apply for higher paying jobs.

There is no legitimate rationale for a minimum wage.

Minimum wage jobs have been proven to kill jobs.

Why do you want more people to be unemployed?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

No, you are not right.

If these people want to make more money, they are free to improve their skill level and apply for higher paying jobs.

No, our economy is a mixed economy. Back in the day, the rich would pay the poor pennies. That was fair market value, because they worked for it. Now we have laws against corporate slavery. The market in the old days could have said 80 he's a week is full time. Why can't that happen today? We have regulations and darn good ones. Go back to the early 1900s and you'll see why minimum wage was created. You need a history lesson.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
True but not comparable. In 1976 you didn't have to pay $150 a month for cable. You got 3 channels over the air. You didn't have to pay $200 a month for cell service. People didn't go out and get the latest phone, television, computer every year.

If you want all of these things it's not up to others to make sure you can get it. I had to save for a long time to get a new television. There were times I did without a phone completely.

I also didn't get back many times more than I paid in taxes come tax time either.
No one said anything about cable, and today you couldn't get a job without a phone. That is necessary for work and safety.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

No, you are not right.

Proven by who?

Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,274,165 times
Now you get fired for asking for a raise ? and some find merriment in this situation? absolutely pathetic..

Old 12-25-2013, 04:19 PM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
Fast food never paid high wages from their inception. It's meant as a supplementary income, starter job for teens and so on. The real issue is that wages have not really kept up with inflation for decades now.

I don't think manning a cash register that counts out the change or pushing a button on a soda fountain that fills the cup to the brim is worth high wages.

Wages are set by supply and demand. Low-wage jobs have an infinite number of candidates and can be replaced on a whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies