Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 12:19 PM

592 posts, read 828,538 times

Advertisements

Although I a disagree with a ban today and on holidays, I just drove from Marin into SF and the air is absolutely disgusting. The smog is so thick that highway signs are masked by it and you can hardly see the massive mountains all around. SF itself is a bit better. These last few weeks we've had terrible air. But today was the worst I've seen. I'm no liberal at all, but people outside California don't know how bad it can get. If I posted pictures you would think it's fog.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM

423 posts, read 414,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
One day they will come out with "Don't breathe today".
I encourage such a day....as long as it's a liberal observance only.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:23 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Just checked - Denver has a wood burn ban in effect today too.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:32 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
@ 18% my heatpump is demanding from the electrical auxillary to much. I like to light a fire in the fire place to warm things up and help the heatpump keep the house warm. Plus its nice to have a fire during the holidays. Looks like it will warm up in a day or two

Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 PM

592 posts, read 828,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Bay Area Spare The Air Alert On Christmas Eve, Wood Burning Banned « CBS San Francisco

Who in their right mind would live in that Totalitarian city?. Spare me the drama, this is just stupid. I see they have been doing this since 2008. 2008? It seems that 2008 ushered in a boatload of heavy handedness right along with Obama.
San Francisco isn't responsible for banning burning wood. That's an independent organization. San Francisco only makes up 12 percent of the bay area. Bay area has over 8 million people. I'm fairly conservative and it isn't a "Totalitarian" city. It's a great American city.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:45 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,371,187 times
LOL. I love how conservatives that don't live in the affected areas tried to make this a liberal outrage, only to get smacked down by almost everyone living in the actual areas.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:00 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,418,303 times
What happened to the free public transportation on spare the air days?

I know.

Old 12-24-2013, 02:17 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What happened to the free public transportation on spare the air days?

I know.
I thought they only did that in the summer. (Not sure why.)

Old 12-24-2013, 02:19 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,462,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
It is not always the city's choice. I am reminded of when the EPA descended upon Juneau on Christmas Eve, and told every one that they cannot heat their homes with wood.

Juneau enforces first Valley burn bans in years | Juneau Empire - Alaska's Capital City Online Newspaper

This current Christmas Eve is -6°F in Alaska. Can you imagine the audacity of these liberal freak morons telling people they have to freeze to death rather than pollute their precious air, on Christmas Eve no less!

Naturally, the EPA did not have the balls to tell people in person. They sent the local COPs to enforce federal law.
Was it -6°F in Juneau the day the feds made people stop using their wood stoves?

Old 12-24-2013, 02:21 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFNative87 View Post
Although I a disagree with a ban today and on holidays, I just drove from Marin into SF and the air is absolutely disgusting. The smog is so thick that highway signs are masked by it and you can hardly see the massive mountains all around. SF itself is a bit better. These last few weeks we've had terrible air. But today was the worst I've seen. I'm no liberal at all, but people outside California don't know how bad it can get. If I posted pictures you would think it's fog.
I grew up in Los Angeles during the 1950s and 1960s. Trust me, I know just how bad it can get.

Fairbanks, Alaska, has a problem most cities do not have to face. When temperatures drop below -40°F (-40°C) in Fairbanks the water vapor in the atmosphere freezes and becomes an ice fog. It is just as bad as any smog in Los Angeles, except that it is caused by nature, not man. You still do not want to be taking any deep breaths, regardless of who is at fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies