Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2013, 11:01 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,058,461 times

Advertisements

[quote=momonkey;32749040]Winning for the sake of winning is what Democrats and RINOs do.

If the purpose isn't to save the country, why bother?[/QUOTE]

Personally, I'm tired of the social issues being played. If republicans ran on fiscal responsibility alone then maybe they would win
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 PM

1,565 posts, read 2,450,878 times
Sterilize the uneducated and ban organized religion.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:17 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmjv View Post

I'd have all the people at Fox watch MSNBC and take notes on how to be a real American

No takers on this one. Most likely because you have FOX and MSLSD transposed. Flip them around and it will make sense.

Old 12-25-2013, 11:35 PM

24,404 posts, read 26,951,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I feel like everyone on this forum, myself included, seems to have input on how to make the country better. I notice that we all profess to know a great deal about economics, healthcare, climate science, and virtually every other politically relevant issue.

So, I'm curious about what your top five suggestions are specfically to make the USA a better place with regards to our economy, healthcare, entitlement programs, etc.
The Tea Party being sent to prison... that would do great wonders for our economy and country!

Old 12-25-2013, 11:40 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,497,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
The Tea Party being sent to prison... that would do great wonders for our economy and country!
What law have we broke?

Old 12-25-2013, 11:41 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

So what then would I propose as actually possible? Well, as I've advocated on numerous occasions. I would say the best way to move ahead, is to propose the drafting of a new constitution.

Passing an amendment to the constitution is basically impossible. But yet, there are more questions about our constitution today than ever. And about 1/3rd of all Supreme Court decisions end in 5-4 splits. And the most important Supreme Court decisions seem to almost always be 5-4 split decisions(such as corporate personhood, gun rights, Obamacare, Arizona immigration law, etc). While the only proposals to redress differences of opinion on Supreme Court decisions, is simply to to replace one of the judges and retry the case(why not just get rid of the Supreme Court then?).

The only way to resolve these issues. Is to clarify the US constitution once and for all. Where all people from all parts of the country will feel like they have the opportunity to create the government that they have always wanted. It would be a time of incredible political upheaval and radicalism on all sides. Then the realization that, the only way forward with a new constitution, would be almost complete regional autonomy. And I'm not just talking states rights. It would go beyond just states, and could lead the dissolution of the states as we know them. Into possibly hundreds or thousands of practically autonomous municipalities.

Its the only way we can all walk away, and for everyone to feel like they've won.
You truly have no clue as to what the Constitution is, do you? The Constitution limits the power of government, not that of the people.
You put a lot of detail into the judicial branch. Again, back to the Constitution. SCOTUS is not to interpret law - legislate - but to judge whether or not bills/laws are in accordance with the Constitution = law of the land. The three branches of power were intended to balance out the powers of each which means policing one another.
The branch with most power is the legislative. Senators were originally elected by the individual state legislatures as they represented state interests and not the people. The house of representatives represent the constituency - the people - in their home districts. Taxes originate in the house, hold the purse strings and can deny funds.
Executive is second in power. The president signs bills the house and senate have passed. He can veto those he doesn't like. He doesn't hold the purse strings.
SCOTUS is third in power as they aren't really active.

Read the document and see how it addresses all of your concerns. We, the people, have to reign it all in as they - elected, appointed and hired persons - are not keeping to their oaths to uphold the Constitution. They are perjuring themselves and are guilty of treason. There is no turning a blind eye as even the citizens can see what is going on.

Old 12-26-2013, 01:15 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw535xi
What law have we broke?

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland -- Chapter XII

Old 12-26-2013, 02:01 AM

13,302 posts, read 7,868,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
Sterilize the uneducated and ban organized religion.
An educated idiot is worse than an uneducated idiot.

They're more difficult to detect.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:16 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You truly have no clue as to what the Constitution is, do you? The Constitution limits the power of government, not that of the people.
You put a lot of detail into the judicial branch. Again, back to the Constitution. SCOTUS is not to interpret law - legislate - but to judge whether or not bills/laws are in accordance with the Constitution = law of the land. The three branches of power were intended to balance out the powers of each which means policing one another.
Look, the high-minded ideal of the "balance of power", sounds great on paper. But what happens in the real world? Is there a fundamental difference between the president, the Congress, and the Supreme Court? Isn't the president and Congress elected effectively in the same way? Moreover, isn't the Supreme Court appointed by the president and confirmed by Congress? And aren't most Congressman, the presidents, and the Supreme Court justices effectively just lawyers?

What makes you think that a lawyer in the white house, appointing lawyers to the Supreme Court, is somehow going to check the power of the lawyers in Congress? Its just absurd.

As for my point about the Supreme Court. What I'm saying is that, most of the important Supreme Court decisions end up 5-4. And the justices who vote one way are almost invariably the justices appointed by a democratic president. And the justices who vote the other way, are almost invariably the justices appointed by a republican president. Thus, at least to a certain degree, the Supreme Court is effectively voting along those same ideological lines that the rest of the country is also split into.

If we look at say "corporate personhood" which came as a result of "Citizens United". That decision has infuriated the political left. And they seek to overturn that decision. But how will they overturn it? Amend the constitution? No, that would be impossible, and everyone knows it.

No, they hope to overturn that decision when someone like Antonin Scalia retires from the court. By replacing him with a different Supreme Court justice which will cause the decision to go 5-4 the other way. Basically, they want to use democracy, to elect a president, who will appoint a justice, to "vote" the way Americans want him to vote.

Thus my point is, if the Supreme Court is nothing but an extension of democracy. And thus it interprets the constitution to mean whatever it wants it to mean, to keep the people happy. Then what is the point of having a Supreme Court to begin with?

I mean, how many times has the Supreme Court ruled against itself in the history of this country? How many Supreme Court decisions do you believe were the wrong decisions? How many Supreme Court decisions caused a split court, going 5-4? How many Supreme Court decisions for instance, does Antonin Scalia think the court got wrong?

The Supreme Court is a joke. And it is pretty naive to think otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Read the document and see how it addresses all of your concerns. We, the people, have to reign it all in as they - elected, appointed and hired persons - are not keeping to their oaths to uphold the Constitution. They are perjuring themselves and are guilty of treason. There is no turning a blind eye as even the citizens can see what is going on.
You seem to be arguing that "democracy will fix everything". But do you really believe in democracy? Do you think democracy always gets it right? If democracy is so great, why even have a constitution? If the people can just elect a president or Congressmen, who will appoint Supreme Court justices who believe in a "living document" in regards to the constitution. In which the "Living document" theory means that the constitution means whatever the people want it to mean. In a sense, doesn't that mean we effectively have no constitution at all?

I don't trust democracy. I don't trust the government. I don't trust the Congress. I don't trust the president. I don't trust the Supreme Court. I don't trust you. And you shouldn't trust me. All of us have our own agenda. And the constitution is there in an attempt to hold in check the corruptibility of humanity.

Which is why my plan for a new constitution has the intent of creating a constitution which is effectively infallible. Don't get me wrong, I think our constitution is wonderful. It actually amazes me how great it is. But is it perfect? Of course not. They have been fighting about what the constitution means, since the day they wrote it.

I think of our constitution as sort of a "contract". But our constitution is one of the most poorly worded contracts that I have ever seen. The problem is that it isn't very clear. So it leaves far too much room for opinion and interpretation.

I want our constitution to be rewritten and clarified to such an extent, that is it "bulletproof". In a similar fashion that businesses write up contracts with each other, that can't be "interpreted" to mean something entirely different than what was intended. In those contracts "all the T's are crossed and all the I's are dotted". If you know what I mean.

Ironically, the supposedly great "democracy" of the world, the United States. Has probably the lowest voter participation rate of any country in the entire world. Everyone realizes that this government is a complete failure. So why defend it?

Lets fix it, and since its impossible to actually amend the constitution. Because any single amendment would always be "us vs them" crap. On the other hand, the rewriting of an entirely new constitution would have to involve everyone. Because the adoption of a new constitution would require far more than a simple majority. And the outcome would be so meaningful for all parties. It would necessitate everyone to play a role in its creation.

It would both unite and divide. It would cause radicalism on all sides, yet require compromise. I think it would be the rebirth of the nation, not its destruction. And I see no argument against it.

Old 12-26-2013, 07:22 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Kill all liberals. Nothing else needs to be done.
You see, I told you ...

LIBERALS ARE THE INTOLERANT ONES !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies