Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 09:24 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Yes because ALL of those people are just lazy bums right? Bet none of them are looking for jobs huh? I really hate democrats. But I really really really hate republicans and libertarians.
Anyone who goes without work of any kind for 2+ years is someone choosing not to work. Period, the end. You can now regale us all with excuses of maybe they don't have a cell phone, or a good tie, or perfect teeth and a nice suit, or an upper middle class upbringing, or blah blah bleh blih blah. In the end, all of that is enabling, apologist nonsense employed solely for the purpose of not accepting that some of your fellow men and women are just flippin' lazy, and an easy way to spot them is stuff like collecting unemployment for 2+ years.

And as a libertarian, you hating me and me not caring one bit is awesome for a few reasons:
  • we both have our freedoms of speech and association intact
  • at least one person (me) hasn't subscribed to the hive mind of liberalism, even when insulted
I dig it that you hate me. Means I am doing my part for the intellectual welfare of this planet. If everyone agrees, then nobody is thinking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 09:29 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
My extended unemployment benefits are going to end in a few days. I applied for countless jobs and had a few interviews and worked with experts on my job hunt strategy, resume and interview skills, but at the end no one hired me.

The option of going on welfare is not really going to happen for most of us because there is few welfare programs for people without kids unless you are an immigrant.

If I did not have a nest egg and the ability to go on Social Security next year, I would likely become homeless.
Sorry, if you have been unemployed this long I refuse to believe you couldn't have found a job. It might not have been a job you wanted but all the same it would be a job.

Wal-Mart is constantly hiring people in your position.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:30 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,675,774 times
Quote:
My extended unemployment benefits are going to end in a few days. I applied for countless jobs and had a few interviews and worked with experts on my job hunt strategy, resume and interview skills, but at the end no one hired me.

The option of going on welfare is not really going to happen for most of us because there is few welfare programs for people without kids unless you are an immigrant.

If I did not have a nest egg and the ability to go on Social Security next year, I would likely become homeless.
I've been unemployed in the 1980s when we had double digit unemployment, no Monster.com, no internet to do job searches on, we used trade magazines and news papers, , and only a few places had a FAX machine to send my typed out resume. I was unemployed so long that my UE insurance ran out. It sucked because I had a wife and two kids to support.

I can only imagine how high UE would be now if we did not have computers and the internet, to do searches, email employers and attach high quality resumes. I think we could add a point or two to the UE number if not for all this technology.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:32 AM

13,949 posts, read 5,620,645 times
Quote:
In every industry? At every pay scale? I ask this because I have a very niche skill set in the world of IT, but if I lost my job tomorrow morning, tomorrow night I'd be delivering pizzas, bartending, landscaping, etc until I found a job related to my resume. Now, given most severance packages, I could likely get by on severance until I landed something in IT, even a step down or two, but if it got remotely likely I was going to need longer, I'd be doing any of the numerous blue collar, $8-12 per hour gigs I see in the paper all the time.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:34 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Unemployment isn't going to end in 2 days.
Unemployment is never going to end. There will always be failing businesses with people losing their jobs but as I said 3-4 years of sitting on one`s a*s is inexcusable.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:46 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:

What I enjoy is the truth of the problem with all this extended unemployment is displayed by your choice of the name, "I'm Retired Now," when what you ought to have been, based on what you've just written, is "I'm Unemployed Now". Instead you precieve yourself as retired, despite apparently not being old enough to be of that status. If your perception is that you are retired, then I can't help but to assume that you don't think you should have to make compromises to get a job - and that means you are less likely to become employed.

I have repeatedly seen where people have miraculously been able to find a job within weeks of their unemployment running out when they supposedly couldn't find a single thing before. Suddenly they figure out how to work third shift, suddenly they can indeed travel that extra 10 miles a day, suddenly they weren't offended by the pay, suddenly doing that job wasn't beneath them, suddenly .... And the list goes on and on of non-negotiables that are now in consideration. My personal favorite was the person who "simply could never work for" company XYZ because they didn't approve of the company president's choice of charities he gave to. One of the problems with extended unemployment benefits is that it can encourage attitudes and practices that ensure longer unemployment, and the longer someone remains unemployed the more unemployable they become.

Old 12-26-2013, 09:49 AM

2,540 posts, read 2,755,242 times
Who the hell NEEDS more than 99 weeks of unemployment compensation???? Obviously some people simply wanted to get paid to sit around and do nothing. Maybe now this will push them to actually go out there and find work.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:02 AM

278 posts, read 273,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Actually, it would have been better if government would have policies that would help growth of the economy instead of growth of unemployment terms and welfare. Now there's a thought
Absolutely. But they aren't...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Anyone who goes without work of any kind for 2+ years is someone choosing not to work. Period, the end. You can now regale us all with excuses of maybe they don't have a cell phone, or a good tie, or perfect teeth and a nice suit, or an upper middle class upbringing, or blah blah bleh blih blah. In the end, all of that is enabling, apologist nonsense employed solely for the purpose of not accepting that some of your fellow men and women are just flippin' lazy, and an easy way to spot them is stuff like collecting unemployment for 2+ years.

And as a libertarian, you hating me and me not caring one bit is awesome for a few reasons:
  • we both have our freedoms of speech and association intact
  • at least one person (me) hasn't subscribed to the hive mind of liberalism, even when insulted
I dig it that you hate me. Means I am doing my part for the intellectual welfare of this planet. If everyone agrees, then nobody is thinking.
So the short of it is you hate the poor and unemployed. Well you got the republican talking points down pat! I will just stop replying to you before I explode and say something I shouldn't.

Old 12-26-2013, 10:10 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,152,106 times
Quote:
Yes because ALL of those people are just lazy bums right? Bet none of them are looking for jobs huh? I really hate democrats. But I really really really hate republicans and libertarians.
Who DO you agree with?

Old 12-26-2013, 10:20 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,726,226 times
Quote:
Absolutely. But they aren't...

So the short of it is you hate the poor and unemployed. Well you got the republican talking points down pat! I will just stop replying to you before I explode and say something I shouldn't.
Why does wanting to reduce unemployment and welfare, meaning people have jobs and don't need either equate to hating the poor to democrats and liberals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies