Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 12:11 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The Bible teaches God raised armies to destroy Israel, so maybe he is onto something. Most Christians believe nothing happens unless God allows it to happen.
If you think that you probably have a really ****ed up view of religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 12:18 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
If you think that you probably have a really ****ed up view of religion.
It just happens to be what the Bible teaches, so any other view is unbiblical. God punished His people not once, but many times. See below three examples. Every time Israel turned away from God, and refused to turn back, He brought disaster to them.

For the LORD God Almighty declares, "I will stir up a nation against you, Israel, that will oppress you

People of Israel," declares the LORD, "I am bringing a distant nation against you-- an ancient and enduring nation, a people whose language you do not know, whose speech you do not understand

Therefore this is what the Sovereign LORD says: "An enemy will overrun your land, pull down your strongholds and plunder your fortresses."

Old 12-29-2013, 12:20 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troend K View Post
Oh yeah many people do get offended by 'Merry Christmas', particularly Jews and some atheists.

Mhm.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It is not the word of God that divides them, it is the interpretations, most of which very minor and not divisive.

Well, if the interpretations of the "word of God" are so varied, I'd say yes the "word of God" is to blame. The spectrum of Christianity runs the gamut from Unitarian Universalism to Catholicism. The divides are quite major.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:30 PM

77,005 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Well, if the interpretations of the "word of God" are so varied, I'd say yes the "word of God" is to blame. The spectrum of Christianity runs the gamut from Unitarian Universalism to Catholicism. The divides are quite major.
Unitarian Universalists are not Christians, so to use them as an example is not relevant.

Old 12-29-2013, 12:40 PM

18,458 posts, read 15,236,363 times
Quote:
Holiday stands for 'holy day'... Some atheists may feel offended of that as well?

Christmas is a public holiday, you know that?
So why should people leave the country if they feel offended not being wished by the public holiday being celebrated by 96% of Americans?!
Funny story about the whole "public holiday" thing. Being the only non-christian in my group, I used to automatically work every Christmas and in exchange, I would get every Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah off. I was also in the regular rotation for the other public holidays.

Keep in mind that I am technically an Atheist, but my wife is Jewish, so I was cool with the arrangement. Then, 3 years ago, one of my partners complained that I shouldn't get 2 extra vacation days, that I should only get 1 and have to use a vacation day for the other. So they decided to go with that partner's suggestion and only give me the one day. So I told them to keep that day, and I will just go in the regular rotation with everybody else. After I said that, the silence in the room was priceless!

It couldn't have worked out better for me. Now I only have to work 1 christmas every 8 years if I want, and if somebody wants me to work their christmas for them, they have to take my holiday from me. If it is Thanksgiving or New Years, I am glad to make the trade, but if it is, say, Memorial Day, I may decide that I would rather have Christmas off. I love the fact that Christmas is a public holiday!

Also, as an atheist, I find it hard to believe that many atheists get offended. If they are anything like me, all these words and symbolisms are meaningless, so how could they be offended by it? I just don't get it. There are no words that truly offend me, as they are only words. Offense is an emotion that you have to make inside yourself. Nobody can make you feel anything you don't want to feel.

Old 12-29-2013, 02:00 PM

591 posts, read 925,405 times
Quote:
Not all atheists are tolerant as you. Many Jews feel offended of Christmas as well.
I as a Muslim do not care at all and love the holiday.
No they don't! I worked in a Jewish Country Club this summer and they just don't celebrate it.

Get your facts straight!!

Old 12-29-2013, 04:38 PM

591 posts, read 925,405 times
Quote:
Note that I said many, not all.

EXCLUSIVE: Tenafly, NJ mayor personally asks family to remove ‘offensive’ Christmas decorations | PIX 11

^^ one example of intolerant Jewish neighbor who made the mayor of Tenafly, NJ (who is also Jewish) going to a family's home on Christmas Eve at 9 pm interrupting their holiday by telling them to remove lights on the streets because it offended the Jewish neighbor.

Oh btw you live in England where there is virtually no Christmas controversy or any political correctness regards to Christmas holiday. Big difference from the US.
Yes you said many. I'm saying very little, if not, a very a very very small percentage.

You've provided one example?! I can provide one example of an Austrian wanting to take over the world, does that mean most or all do? No!

If I provided one example of all religions doing something, you would hate them all, including Islam, your religion!

You seem to have an intolerance towards Jewish people, by reading your comments.

Yes, I live in England, but I have worked at a Jewish Country Club in Chicago for the past 2 summers. I can tell you now, I didn't meet one that had an intolerance for Christmas, other religions or their festivals. They simply do not celebrate Christmas.

I'm not sure how many Hebrews you have met, but your assumption that 'most' are offended by Christmas is misguided.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:47 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Unitarian Universalists are not Christians, so to use them as an example is not relevant.
Some are and some aren't. Look it up.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:48 PM

Quote:

Some UU's DEFINITELY are Christians. The example is relevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies