U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 03:30 PM

26,304 posts, read 12,879,292 times

Advertisements

Apparently there are people that still believe that trickle down economics has been a success. I for one do not see it.

The theory that trickle down economics has led to a increasing wealth inequality, increasingly less class mobility, and appears to me to have been a major driver of our deficit.

Who can honestly say they've been a success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 03:38 PM

12,050 posts, read 5,729,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Apparently there are people that still believe that trickle down economics has been a success. I for one do not see it.

The theory that trickle down economics has led to a increasing wealth inequality, increasingly less class mobility, and appears to me to have been a major driver of our deficit.

A lot of that "trickle down" poured into my savings accounts and portfolio -
on the other hand - I wasn't standing around with a bucket waiting for mana to fall from the sky.
We worked for it, we saved it, we didn't spend more than we made, we planned for our future. Trickle down doesn't do much for you if you stand around with an umbrella afraid of it, or stand around with a bucket without a plan and whine all the time.

Yeah - I guess I would call going from $1,000 a month out of college to where I am today a "success".

Old 12-27-2013, 03:42 PM

LOL, you "worked for it" doesn't really reflect trickle down economics. Trickle down basically says- the more the wealthier have in cash, the better off everyone else is. That has very little relationship to the fact that you (like me) are doing better due to our individual efforts.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:12 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,295,610 times
I prefer JFK's characterization: "a rising tide lifts all boats." It is so true, and has yet to fail.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:14 PM

4,130 posts, read 3,861,504 times
It's been junk economics since it was originally proposed as the horse and sparrow theory in 1896.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:16 PM

24,503 posts, read 35,486,216 times
1. We've never had a pure implementation of trickle down. So we (nor anyone else) has thoroughly tested the theory.

2. The theory of trickle down economics is a very loose and shallow theory. It was never claimed by any distinguished economist nor was it ever a a proposed demonstrable theory supported by any empirical evidence.

So to claim it has failed makes no sense. It's not even a real thing. A slogan at best.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
1. We've never had a pure implementation of trickle down. So we (nor anyone else) has thoroughly tested the theory.

2. The theory of trickle down economics is a very loose and shallow theory. It was never claimed by any distinguished economist nor was it ever a a proposed demonstrable theory supported by any empirical evidence.

So to claim it has failed makes no sense. It's not even a real thing. A slogan at best.
Its very specifically related to current ideas that lowering the taxes on the wealthy will result in a benefit to everyone, not just the wealthy. I don't think its really "a slogan at best" as when its referred to most people generally understand it.

To be specific its often in reference to Reaganomics.

Multiple studies have shown that increasing the wealth of the truly wealthy has no benefit to the general populace at all. It tends to go into tax havens. LOL.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:44 PM

7,248 posts, read 6,677,410 times
Quote:

Just about every economist told us that 30 years ago but Republicans, as a party, are highly corrupt and only do what the wealthy lobbyists pay them to do thus all they're ever interested in is tax cuts for the wealthy who fund virtually all of their campaigns. Not that Democrats are much better but if the choice is between one party which is completely corrupt and another which is mostly corrupt but still occasionally does something for the public good... Well, I'll have to take the later even if I really wish there was a third option.

Old 12-27-2013, 04:53 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,295,610 times
Trickle down has worked at least since Thomas Hobbes noted that the life of the hunter-gatherer was 'nasty short and brutish.' In the 15 century, seeking distribution routes cheaper and safer than the overland route to China, and seeking untold riches, Christopher Columbus took a chance and sailed West. The result was the opening up of the Western hemisphere, most likely your homeland if you are reading this.

In the 19th century Thomas Edison worked his fingers to the bone, often sleeping in his lab. The result was the lightbulb and electicity to the benefit of millions.

In the 20th century Bill Gates decided to forgo a sure thing and dropped out of Harvard to start Microsoft. He wound up as the world's richest man. The result was the home computer by which you view this message right now.

Old 12-27-2013, 05:09 PM

8,141 posts, read 2,794,390 times
Quote:

First of all, the left has misunderstood and mischarachterized what trickle down is and how it's supposed to work.

Trickle down is just the effects of Capitalisim working the way that it's supposed to.

But the thing is, you can't sit there and expect the trickle down to fall into your lap.....you have to be willing to stand up and grab your share of it because if you don't then someone else will.

And personally, I don't much care for the idea of somebody else grabbing my share of it so I do whatever is necessary to make sure I get it before they do.

If you aren't willing to accept the work that goes into it then trickle down will never work for you .....which is why the left hates it so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies