U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 10:07 PM

8,803 posts, read 7,579,759 times

Advertisements

Pope Francis excommunicates Australian priest | CatholicHerald.co.uk

A priest who supports the ordination of women has been excommunicated by Pope Francis. I feel like he's become an idol of the left, so I believe both sides deserve a mention in all things. Pope Francis is basically a moderate by papal standards, but still a social conservative by western standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2013, 10:27 PM

20,673 posts, read 8,817,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

A priest who supports the ordination of women has been excommunicated by Pope Francis. I feel like he's become an idol of the left, so I believe both sides deserve a mention in all things. Pope Francis is basically a moderate by papal standards, but still a social conservative by western standards.
An idol, no.... but he definitely got this catholics attention. This pope has reached out to everyone with no regard to religion. He's not the stiff pope we are all used to lol

Old 12-27-2013, 11:18 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post

When I hear him speak lately and what he says I don't see has a different message really. He reminds that love each other but never says a sin is not a sin.Even when attending catholic services with my wife at various Churches they like every others denomination always ask for forgiveness of the sins of the church itself. How ni secular world what I hear even from media is spin; not facts of belief.

Old 12-28-2013, 01:05 AM

29,124 posts, read 22,029,506 times
Good for Pope Francis.

Women are not supposed to be priests or pastors.

One of Harrier's most influential spiritual teachers is a woman, and he refused to be a deacon at her installation as a pastor, though she requested he do so.

A gay couple are leaders at his church.

The lady pastor remains his friend, but Harrier cannot accept her as being a pastor.

That is not a woman's role , according to the scripture.

Nor are gay people supposed to be church leaders.

We are in very trying times, and we must stick to time-tested principles.

Old 12-28-2013, 07:43 AM

86,093 posts, read 72,489,649 times
The Pope has said he abides by the Church doctrine.
He hasn't been preaching "acceptance" you know.
He's preached "tolerance" which is something quite different and it's tolerance outside of the church rules.

Old 12-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Status: "Trump: Inept, Incompetent, Insecure" (set 3 days ago)

10,514 posts, read 6,202,512 times
I read yesterday that the Pope is considering naming a woman as a Cardinal. I was interested to read (I think it was the New Yorker) that while women cannot be priests (based on Jesus choosing 12 men as his Apostles) there is actually no prohibition within the Catholic Church against women being Cardinals.

A quick google brought up this link from another source:

Vatican spokesman: Female cardinals 'theoretically possible' | National Catholic Reporter

Old 12-28-2013, 08:05 AM

33,882 posts, read 42,105,179 times
I fail to see how, as a non-Catholic, this impacts me or any other non-Catholic.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:49 AM

1,789 posts, read 1,797,721 times
Francis has repeatedly said he wants to see women have a bigger role in the church.

I have no idea whether or not that includes ordination but it might be that he is seeking to overturn the centuries old ban on married priests.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:11 AM

21,660 posts, read 11,121,875 times
New American Standard Bible
'AND IT SHALL BE IN THE LAST DAYS,' God says, 'THAT I WILL POUR FORTH OF MY SPIRIT ON ALL MANKIND; AND YOUR SONS AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL PROPHESY, AND YOUR YOUNG MEN SHALL SEE VISIONS, AND YOUR OLD MEN SHALL DREAM DREAMS;

King James Bible
And it shall come to pass in the last days, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:

God has the power of the Holy Spirit.

Old 12-28-2013, 10:39 AM

25,630 posts, read 30,423,396 times
Here is the point. You don't like the Church or its doctrines, leave. No one in the Catholic Church is forcing you to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies