U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 12-28-2013, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Tennessee/Michigan
25,051 posts, read 31,013,536 times
Reputation: 15302

Advertisements

Headline: NJ mayor personally asks family to remove 'offensive' Christmas decorations. Article: That they put in front of their Jewish neighbor's house.

TENAFLY, N.J. (PIX11) – The Alvator family, joined by some neighbors, set out to recreate a tradition they themselves had grown up with.

After they say they checked with the local fire and police departments and were given the green light, 300 decorative luminaries were lined along their street on Joyce Road on Christmas Eve.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Tenafly, NJ mayor personally asks family to remove ‘offensive’ Christmas decorations | PIX 11
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2013, 01:03 AM
 
20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Reputation: 9573
It was nice for the family to pick them up when asked. An immature move to skip the neighbor that complained. I find it surprising they thought it was okay to violate town ordinances.

Last edited by NJBest; 12-28-2013 at 01:15 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:03 AM
 
Location: South Central Texas via Worcester County, MA
2,701 posts, read 1,929,868 times
Reputation: 2792
Kind of weak for the neighbor to run and tattle to the mayor. Why he didn't just approach him himself? If you're offended by a candle, so be it. Just blow it out. This neighbor sounds like an attention grabbing wh**e.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:08 AM
 
20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Reputation: 9573
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Kind of weak for the neighbor to run and tattle to the mayor. Why he didn't just approach him himself? If you're offended by a candle, so be it. Just blow it out. This neighbor sounds like an attention grabbing wh**e.
Both, the Alvator family and the neighbor are attention grabbing...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:16 AM
Status: "V.O.A." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: My ranch
15,134 posts, read 6,404,297 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Headline: NJ mayor personally asks family to remove 'offensive' Christmas decorations. Article: That they put in front of their Jewish neighbor's house.

TENAFLY, N.J. (PIX11) – The Alvator family, joined by some neighbors, set out to recreate a tradition they themselves had grown up with.

After they say they checked with the local fire and police departments and were given the green light, 300 decorative luminaries were lined along their street on Joyce Road on Christmas Eve.

Read more: EXCLUSIVE: Tenafly, NJ mayor personally asks family to remove ‘offensive’ Christmas decorations | PIX 11


I would tell the mayor to go to hell and get off the property or I would have him cited for trespassing.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:21 AM
 
20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Reputation: 9573
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I would tell the mayor to go to hell and get off the property or I would have him cited for trespassing.
I'm pretty sure that would yield in yourself getting a citation for violating local ordinances.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:25 AM
Status: "V.O.A." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: My ranch
15,134 posts, read 6,404,297 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I'm pretty sure that would yield in yourself getting a citation for violating local ordinances.


I read the ordinance, the lights are not signs or anything else explained by the ordinance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:37 AM
 
20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Reputation: 9573
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I read the ordinance, the lights are not signs or anything else explained by the ordinance.
But you failed to read the preceding cases. Why do you think it's okay to have Christmas lights but not Jewish lights? It's hypocritical of you to allow one but not the other.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:40 AM
Status: "V.O.A." (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: My ranch
15,134 posts, read 6,404,297 times
Reputation: 3975
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
But you failed to read the preceding cases. Why do you think it's okay to have Christmas lights but not Jewish lights? It's hypocritical of you to allow one but not the other.

have them both, and since the lights that were put into place by both Christians and Jews alike, I do not find it to be hypocritical.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2013, 02:42 AM
 
20,679 posts, read 16,190,917 times
Reputation: 9573
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
have them both, and since the lights that were put into place by both Christians and Jews alike, I do not find it to be hypocritical.
But the entire point was that there is already a precedent in the town not to have lights in order to celebrate a Jewish holiday. The mayor was only following through on the precedent set before he was even the mayor. If Christians wanted to have their celebratory lights up during Christmas, perhaps they should not have complained when Jewish people wanted to have their celebratory lights up during Hanukkah. Christians set the precedent... they should follow it.

What's hypocritical is that you think it's out of line for a mayor to tell Christians not to keep the lights up when those same Christians complained about Jewish people putting up similar lights. Your bias is evident.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top