Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2014, 01:33 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Canadian commanders have said women fighters perform as well as their male counterparts. Maj. Eleanor Taylor became the first Canadian woman to command an infantry company in a war zone. Army Brig. Gen. Dean Milner, the last commander of Canada's combat mission, said Maj. Taylor was "easily" one of the best officers to serve under him. "The bottom line is they are soldiers," Gen. Milner said in an interview.
Canada Offers Lessons as U.S. Opens Combat to Women - WSJ.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2014, 03:25 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Canadian commanders have said women fighters perform as well as their male counterparts. Maj. Eleanor Taylor became the first Canadian woman to command an infantry company in a war zone. Army Brig. Gen. Dean Milner, the last commander of Canada's combat mission, said Maj. Taylor was "easily" one of the best officers to serve under him. "The bottom line is they are soldiers," Gen. Milner said in an interview.
Coming from Canadistan that means absolutely nothing. Any one of our Girl Scout troops is vastly superior to the Canadian military.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:39 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
The real reason for relaxing the physical requirements is the brass figures these females in combat can harangue, nag or even just b*tch the enemy into submission or death.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:59 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I don't think people are "accusing".
You haven't read this whole thread. To some of these blowhards, any woman who wants the opportunity is a "feminazi" just trying to help themselves

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,954,135 times
Marines are delaying female fitness plan after over half fail. We already knew this, why are they continuing to waste taxpayers money.Marines delay female fitness plan after half fail

Old 01-04-2014, 07:40 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretsky99 View Post
"Women in the Marine Corps will be allowed into ground combat in 2016"--You know what that will mean there's going to be many unnecessary american deaths in time of war.

Female Marines Not Required To Do 1 Pull-Up | CNS News
I've never been to war. Are pull ups used a tactical defense in the midst of battle? I wonder how pull ups were done during the 100 Year War?

Old 01-04-2014, 07:55 AM

25,847 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I was in the Marine Corps for 4 years.....field artillery. We would go on field training more than just about any MOS in the Corp........you know, had to fire off all that old WW2 ammo.

Many Camp Pendleton artillery units would go out to 29 palms, Ca or Chocolate Mountain, Ca and stay there for 3-4 weeks. Upper body strength in artillery is very important.........lifting 100 pound rounds over and over again, all the time......day after day....week after week. Above and beyond lifting the rounds....there is a LOT of other heavy stuff to move and lift, lots of digging also.

If you are lacking a certain level of upper body strength.....you will not be able to do 3 pull-ups.

If you are lacking a certain level of upper body strength...and you are in a Marine field artillery unit.....you will be a real burden on the crew, a real DUD!
Thanks for your service and your input. Being a soldier is a lot like being a Fireman. It isn't all glory and combat, it's a lot of drudgery and bust-ass hard work. A few years ago the women sued to get into the Fire Departments as Firemen. They actually had to change the physical test so they could pass it. I've worked with the Fire Depts around here a lot, been on big fires with them. Most of their work is hard work, tearing up roofing and throwing it over the edge to stop secondary fires, breaking out walls with axes ect. One thing I've noticed? The women on the crews end up on the ground with the truck running the controls and watching the hoses ect. Probably jobs that used to be reserved for the older Firemen who have had a lot of injuries over the years. All in the name of idiotic PC.

They can't do physically what men do in the long run. Some of them can pass a test on their best day, but lets see how they stand up over the long haul. It won't happen, they will break down. They just aren't built for that kind of work.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:01 AM

3,555 posts, read 4,095,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
Marines are delaying female fitness plan after over half fail. We already knew this, why are they continuing to waste taxpayers money.Marines delay female fitness plan after half fail
This is actually a higher standard than before, so your argument is invalid. Again, wasting what money above what we already spend to train a Marine.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:59 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I've never been to war. Are pull ups used a tactical defense in the midst of battle? I wonder how pull ups were done during the 100 Year War?
A pullup is an exercise of the latissumus dorsi and biceps muscle groups. Yes, those are used extensively in combat, especially for pulling a wounded comrade out of danger.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:13 AM

28,668 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Knowing something about how boots on the ground operate, and how the system operates (practically and bureaucratically), there are some things I don't see exposited in those stories:

1. What is the male/female ratio in those units and what missions are they actually assigned?

2. Did Major Taylor come "through the ranks" as an infantry officer, or was she transferred into infantry as a field grade officer?

3. If she did come through the ranks, was her JO time spent in garrison duty or in combat?

4. I'm less impressed overall by a female commanding officer than I would be by a female infantry Command Sergeant Major. We have been talking all this time about the physically grueling aspects of the combat occupations, which officers can (not saying that all do) escape by reason of position, just as older NCOs do...but older NCOs were all once the junior enlisted who bear the brunt of the physical work.

None of this is to say that women are not courageous and smart. Only that they don't do the low-end donkey work as well, and the combat occupations still consists of a huge amount of donkey-work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies