Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 08:35 AM

4,721 posts, read 5,299,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Isn't the mortgage company which writes 10s of thousands of policies more qualified to determine who is qualified? People will take out 2-3 mortgage loans in their life, and the mortgage company will write that many in an hour. Yet, they are blameless in your eyes?

Yes, people who over extended themselves bear some responsibility...

I don't understand your mentality that they alone are responsible.
In your estimation is it the credit card company's fault when I charge too much? They know how much I can afford, yet they keep raising my credit limit. Because I am responsible I do not charge more than I can pay off each month. Mortgage companies SHOULD act responsibly, but the bottom line is that I have to look out for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,175,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
If your talking about the Housing Crisis then you should check out some of the things that happened to people. Some people were cheated out of their homes. It wasn't due to them not being able to make payments.

1 in 3 Foreclosures Have Bank Errors to Blame | AOL Real Estate

Bank of America Lied To Home Owners, Former Workers Allege

The statistic is that 33% were foreclosed upon due to fraud.
Those articles have been proven to be completely wrong, a fact that you keep ignoring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I really don't care how hard you worked to get where you are. You need to pay more in taxes. The rich get away with too much. So take your cry story some where else. You most likely have had a lot of support and opportunity that many others have not even come close to. So suck it up and get ready to pay more and closer to your fair share.
The wealthy pay more in taxes (as a % of income) than any other group. Where do you get the idea that the wealthy don't already pay more?

Old 12-30-2013, 08:39 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,432,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
"I worked my way through school, I spent nights and weekends studying while my friends were partying. I graduated with top honors and was hired at the bottom rung of the company that hired me. After a few years of working 12-14 hours a day, I was promoted. I lived frugally, paid my taxes and bought a small home. A few years later, after waking up at 5AM and working until 7 or 8 PM everyday, I was promoted again. We decided to have a family so we bought a bigger house in a better neighborhood. After a few more years, and after learning the business that I was in from top to bottom, I decided to take a risk and open my own business. I mortgaged my home and took on a lot of debt.....it was a "make or break" calculated risk, but the payoff was worth it. After a few more years, my business was profitable. I was on my way. I was still working 12-14 hours a day and paying myself last. After some more years of hard work, I was finally earning a comfortable living. Today, I have earned enough money to be considered "wealthy"."

This is the story of most successful "rich people". Remember this the next time you say "the rich aren't paying their fair share!".

The rich aren't paying their fair share.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:44 AM

14,293 posts, read 9,649,593 times
Quote:
"I worked my way through school, I spent nights and weekends studying while my friends were partying. I graduated with top honors and was hired at the bottom rung of the company that hired me. After a few years of working 12-14 hours a day, I was promoted. I lived frugally, paid my taxes and bought a small home. A few years later, after waking up at 5AM and working until 7 or 8 PM everyday, I was promoted again. We decided to have a family so we bought a bigger house in a better neighborhood. After a few more years, and after learning the business that I was in from top to bottom, I decided to take a risk and open my own business. I mortgaged my home and took on a lot of debt.....it was a "make or break" calculated risk, but the payoff was worth it. After a few more years, my business was profitable. I was on my way. I was still working 12-14 hours a day and paying myself last. After some more years of hard work, I was finally earning a comfortable living. Today, I have earned enough money to be considered "wealthy"."

This is the story of most successful "rich people". Remember this the next time you say "the rich aren't paying their fair share!".
Most of the so called "rich," the new millionaires in this country, are newly wealthy, as in they came up from modest means and earned their wealth the long, hard way.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:50 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,654,174 times
LOL the rich that all of you people complain about are the people that run this country .. Your talking about the huge corporate guys that provide millions of jobs. They work plenty non stop and their risk is way bigger then what you would make in your lifetime. Rich people pay millions , they donate millions to charity , and they risk millions. I dont understand this whole idea of taxing people and that solves everything? I live in NJ and we are over taxed and regulated and look how broke our state is...

Taxing the 1 percent more will do NOTHING , but taxing the middle class to death and making welfare a new career is whats killing this country. You can tax people MORE , you need to stop giving handouts too easy for too long . Raise the sales tax a lil bit and cut down BS spending.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:53 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,003,519 times
The bottom line is this......losers look out the window and say "it's their fault!" winners look in the mirror and say "It's my fault!"

Old 12-30-2013, 08:58 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
Tell that to Petch. He's obsessed with blaming everything on Obama. I guess he doesn't understand the concept of Personal Responsibility.
lol, hey if you are into a president that confirms you are a failure more power to you. Poooorrrr you. There, feel better?

Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,090,145 times
Quote:
The bottom line is this......losers look out the window and say "it's their fault!" winners look in the mirror and say "It's my fault!"
So you consider those in lower income brackets "losers"?

Just want to clarify.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:01 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,632,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpperDecker30 View Post
I agree, in the fact that his story is an awesome one and something that I aim to do with my life.

The thing that many people who react with "not everyone" need to realize is that there is no solution to help/save everyone. That is an impossible utopia and the best thing that we can do is harbor an environment in which many people can create their own stories, such as the one posted by tommy.
What Tommy did is awesome and the fact that you aiming for the same is awesome. The peace of mind people like Tommy has reached is worth working toward. The peace of heart and mind you will reach you will love. No possession is worth giving it up for either. Don't be jealous of other people either. It's a hateful emotion that only makes you angry and sad.

Tommy and UpperDecker I love it.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:08 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,613,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
lol, hey if you are into a president that confirms you are a failure more power to you. Poooorrrr you. There, feel better?
This is a strange post. Does it make sense to anyone?

Obama never told me I was a failure or a success.

I judge that for myself.

Did Obama give you a call to tell you that you (or any one of the 300 million citizens) are a failure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies