Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:22 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I frequent the south and own property there. The presence of religion is obvious, but not necessarily in a rude way.

Another poster here indicated that many of their business partners sign emails with phrases from the bible. That's pretty obsessed.

Perhaps athiests in the south are different than those in the north. No one around here cares what others say or do.
I get those same e-mails from time to time in Alaska. Alaska is really a mixed-bag. There are parts that are very religious (either Christian or Russian Orthodox), and other parts where there is no middle-eastern religion. There are villages in Alaska where there are no churches, synagogues, temples, or mosques at all, or bars either for that matter. As far as religion is concerned, Alaska goes from one extreme to the other, and everything in between.

I happen to live in an area where Christians dominate. Within an 8 mile radius of my home there are 12 Christian churches and 2 bars.

Old 12-29-2013, 04:58 AM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think Christians have it harder than any Atheist.
Tell us why.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:04 AM

1,074 posts, read 757,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAmerican View Post
Yes we are but I do try and make the xtians just as uncomfortable as they try and make me.I have seen friends fired because they were Atheists or literally ridiculed...its encouraged my pure hatred for xtians.
What are "xtians?"

Disrespectful atheists give themselves a black eye. They go out of their way to offend Christians.

Christianity is the dominant religion in America, followed by Judaism. Christianity and Judaism share much in common, and in fact, we are told (in scripture) that we (Christians) are "Jews by adoption." Since you claim to be an "atheist" I wouldn't expect that you have a clue as to what that means; so, you're just going to have to accept it as true. That is what we are.

What kind of respect do you (as an atheist, who goes out of your way to make me uncomfortable) think you deserve? Answer: none.

Blog: Why I am no longer much of an atheist

Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Guess "reason" isn't working well for ya...
I'd like to see a documented story where someone has been fired because they were atheist! I don't believe that for a second.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:15 AM

Quote:
In the bible belt, where as much as 85% of the population is religious, the views of an atheist can be easily overlooked. As a result, it could be tough to live your day to day when almost everyone else has the view that you're wrong.
I don't see why it "could be tough?" Can't they simply go about their activities day to day without being bothered by knowing that a co-worker is Christian? Why? How would anyone else know that they were atheist, unless they announced it at every opportunity, and why would they do that.

They (atheists) are always telling us to keep our religion to ourselves. Why don't they keep their atheism to themselves?

Why do they feel compelled to bully and ridicule Christians, just because they choose not to accept that their is a God? They invite the scorn they receive.

Blog: Why I am no longer much of an atheist

Old 12-29-2013, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
LOL - it's amazing what counts as "Christian" down here...
By "down here," where do you mean?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:29 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,851,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've heard some say that atheists are still 'oppressed' in the US, especially the South, but I personally find that hard to believe. Is it really that bad in the States or are these people just whinging? I mean the US seems so secular, judging by American pop culture most people around the world would have a hard time believing that most Americans are religious. Of course pop culture does not reflect a lot of Americans but still, do atheists really have it hard at all in the US?
There has been several Atheist Presidents, so no, I don't think Atheists have been "oppressed".. On the other hand, there have been many, many Christians, Jews, Muslims, ... etc, that have grown up not being allowed to make their own decisions on religion.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:34 AM

Quote:
I frequent the south and own property there. The presence of religion is obvious, but not necessarily in a rude way.

Another poster here indicated that many of their business partners sign emails with phrases from the bible. That's pretty obsessed.

Perhaps athiests in the south are different than those in the north. No one around here cares what others say or do.
Signing emails with bible verses is "obsessed?" Why? Because God is first in the lives of believers? That is as it should be.

Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,468,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
I've heard some say that atheists are still 'oppressed' in the US, especially the South, but I personally find that hard to believe. Is it really that bad in the States or are these people just whinging? I mean the US seems so secular, judging by American pop culture most people around the world would have a hard time believing that most Americans are religious. Of course pop culture does not reflect a lot of Americans but still, do atheists really have it hard at all in the US?
Can you give us the names of some of the people you`ve heard say this?

Old 12-29-2013, 05:36 AM

18,464 posts, read 15,244,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troend K View Post
According to statistics over 90% of Americans believe in God, and America is the most religious western nation in general. 'In God We Trust' is national motto and appears on the money - which other currency in the western world mention God?

America also has the world's largest Christian population by number, and plenty of churches in every street with most having billboards and Christian symbols and statues (less common in Europe and other parts of the western world). Even in large 'liberal' cities like NY and SF, churches are packed and most people are still Christian and religious in general.

OP being from Australia would never understand how much Americans in general are religious. Now are atheists being oppressed? Unless they advertise their atheism, nobody would know. However, they are the most hated and mistrusted minority, and there is no way they will get elected to run for public office (indeed they are banned from doing so in some states)

However, atheist organizations in America tend to insult, sue and oppress Christians as well.
Nunnor, did you ever think if you stop trying to push your religion on them, they will stop trying to push their Atheism on you? You can be pretty militant about Christianity. Most people where you live, don't bring up religion, so I am assuming you are always the one bringing it up first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies