Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 05:50 AM

11,754 posts, read 14,611,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
What religion were your neighbors? Clearly not Christian based on their actions...
Oh, the "no true Scotsman" fallacy. That didn't take long.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 AM

24,372 posts, read 22,982,365 times
No more so than vegetarians. Its just when they preach that you shouldn't eat meat or be religious that they run into " oppression", as they put it.
Its the ones that have an axe to grind or a chip on their shoulder that run into disfavor with Christians or other religious people. If they're happy with what they believe and okay with what others believe, and accept that, they'll be fine.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:04 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,980,431 times
Atheists are not oppressed in the U.S. due to being atheists, but I would say they are discriminated against in many parts of the country.

Flamenco, you seem perfectly okay with explicit public expressions and demonstrations of one's Christianity such as group prayer and using Bible verses to sign e-mails, so why do you have a problem with atheists coming out and saying they're atheists and/or professing their reasons for their lack of belief? Also, atheists as a group do not bully and ridicule Christians; that is yet another negative stereotype. The vast majority of atheists I've met do not bully people for their religious beliefs or even really care what other people believe. This is a double standard that demonstrates my point.

If you're an atheist and don't participate in church and don't pray with them or partake in any of the group religiosity that is very common in the South, you won't be considered part of the community and you'll be a bit of an outcast. People may also rush to judge your personality or your political beliefs. In the South, typically if people know you're an atheist you won't fit in and they won't accept you. This varies widely by the community, of course.

Old 12-29-2013, 06:50 AM

9,572 posts, read 20,733,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Can you give us the names of some of the people you`ve heard say this?
Well aren't most of the responses in this thread indicative? lol

Old 12-29-2013, 07:14 AM

2,526 posts, read 3,042,222 times
I don't think atheists are oppressed, given that "oppress" is a very active verb which tends to be severely overused (especially by evangelical Christians in The US). However, atheists and other non-believers in The United States are routinely faced with cultural and social discrimination.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:23 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Atheists are not oppressed in the U.S. due to being atheists, but I would say they are discriminated against in many parts of the country.

Flamenco, you seem perfectly okay with explicit public expressions and demonstrations of one's Christianity such as group prayer and using Bible verses to sign e-mails, so why do you have a problem with atheists coming out and saying they're atheists and/or professing their reasons for their lack of belief? Also, atheists as a group do not bully and ridicule Christians; that is yet another negative stereotype. The vast majority of atheists I've met do not bully people for their religious beliefs or even really care what other people believe. This is a double standard that demonstrates my point.

If you're an atheist and don't participate in church and don't pray with them or partake in any of the group religiosity that is very common in the South, you won't be considered part of the community and you'll be a bit of an outcast. People may also rush to judge your personality or your political beliefs. In the South, typically if people know you're an atheist you won't fit in and they won't accept you. This varies widely by the community, of course.
There are two completely different kinds of atheists.
  1. The anti-theists are vehemently opposed to religion of all kinds, and will often go out of their way to offend those that have religious belief; and
  2. The remaining atheists understand that some people believe and others do not, and they respect peoples right to believe, or not believe, as they see fit. They simply want to be treated with the same courtesy.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:26 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,440,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Postman View Post
Well aren't most of the responses in this thread indicative? lol
So you admit that your op is a fabrication. lol.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:47 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,225,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamencoFreak View Post
You mean, they pray and give thanks before a meal? Why should that make you uncomfortable? Can't you simply remain quietly respectful until they are finished? Are atheists incapable of respect for others?

I don't believe that story for a second.
Of course you don't. I have no reason to fabricate any story.

No, I don't mean they simply prayed and gave thanks for a meal - that is very common here. No - they made a spectacle out of it and not a casual "let's say thanks." They also made it incredibly uncomfortable and unnecessarily so.

Did I say anywhere that I was not respectfully quiet? No, I did not. Thanks for being incredibly judgmental - just like some of those neighbors of mine.

Alas, I am not the one who refused to have any contact with those neighbors. They did. Because I don' share their religious belief. Talk about being incapable of respect for others.

You are, obviously, EXACTLY the kind of dick head "Christian" that I encountered at that BBQ.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:03 AM

524 posts, read 399,410 times
Oppression seems to be a particular word that individuals improperly use. No where, in the South or the United States for that matter, are atheists being oppressed. To oppress is to exert one's authority or use force to manipulate behavior. If someone is being oppressed in this great nation, they are allowing it by submitting.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:08 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,400,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrimol View Post
Oppression seems to be a particular word that individuals improperly use. No where, in the South or the United States for that matter, are atheists being oppressed. To oppress is to exert one's authority or use force to manipulate behavior. If someone is being oppressed in this great nation, they are allowing it by submitting.
A better term would be discriminatory or bigoted or intolerant behavior. Which is why you will never see an "out-of-the-closet" atheist run for public office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.