Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 04:00 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Hospice firms draining billions from Medicare.

By Peter Whoriskey and Dan Keating,

Hospice patients are expected to die: The treatment focuses on providing comfort to the terminally ill, not finding a cure. To enroll a patient, two doctors certify a life expectancy of six months or less.

Medicare rules create a booming business in hospice care for people who aren’t dying - The Washington Post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:04 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
Hospice firms draining billions from Medicare.

By Peter Whoriskey and Dan Keating,

Hospice patients are expected to die: The treatment focuses on providing comfort to the terminally ill, not finding a cure. To enroll a patient, two doctors certify a life expectancy of six months or less.

Medicare rules create a booming business in hospice care for people who aren’t dying - The Washington Post

Don't get me started!!!!

Too late....

I lived this nightmare with my dad.
Hospice has it's place, I guess, but it is now used as a "Death Panel"
They are there to kill you as fast and as painless as possible.

They were going to starve and dehydrate my dad. Christopher House here in Austin TX. Catherine Berry is Doctor evil - Doctor Kevorkin. They lady is lucky I didn't sue that place. I got him out of there and to rehab.

Watchout for Home Healthcare companies too. They are in with Medicare and they will slip a Hospice nurse in there without your knowledge. They(your loved one) are starting to cost Medicare(the government) too much money and it is time to go.

Seriously.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:31 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,920,039 times
There is going to come a time where a program begins to efficiency dispose of people whose upkeep out-costs any prior or potential earnings or value to society. Right now it's with the elderly but eventually it will be others.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:49 AM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Here's a suggestion - don't pay them on days treatment or services aren't received.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:02 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Don't get me started!!!!

Too late....

They were going to starve and dehydrate my dad. Christopher House here in Austin TX. Catherine Berry is Doctor evil - Doctor Kevorkin. They lady is lucky I didn't sue that place. I got him out of there and to rehab.

Watchout for Home Healthcare companies too. They are in with Medicare and they will slip a Hospice nurse in there without your knowledge. They(your loved one) are starting to cost Medicare(the government) too much money and it is time to go.

Seriously.
I had the exact opposite experience. My mother was well cared for in her own home, never went hungry or thirsty, had all the pain medication she wanted, and spent her last few days surrounded by her family.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 AM

524 posts, read 400,057 times
I have seen incidences where patients and family members had great experiences with HOSPICE, others not so much. I can see where the potential is for abuse and have heard some stories where monetary and moral abuses ooccurred. It seems that with the passage and implementation of the ACA, the door has been potentially opened for more abuses to occur.

Old 12-29-2013, 08:49 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Near the end of life, often a person is too weak to even swallow. Eating food is out of the question and providing liquids when unable to swallow and kidneys aren't functioning ~ isn't seen as a 'comfort' measure. It leads to choking/aspiration and swelling.

My own mother refused any IV nourishment before she slipped into a coma. She knew she was actively dying.

Hospice didn't *kill* her.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
But this article is about the opposite -- they aren't killing the patients to save money, they're talking healthy patients who aren't dying but surviving hospice so they can take more Medicare/Medicaid money from them.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:16 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Seriously.
This is the hidden danger of Hospice. They hold the power of pharmaceutical pain care hostage--which EVERY dying patient should be entitled to--in return for NOT allowing ANY treatment that will prolong life in the slightest.

My dad died of gangrene infection in a nursing home, and within three days of noticing the wound was no longer healing, he was so out of his mind with infection that he recognized nobody and was no longer the person I knew. He was gone two days later.

Had I simply managed to slip him some simple antibiotics, he would have survived that infection and lived at least another few months, maybe years more. Think about it NOW, because it won't occur to you in the crisis.

Old 12-29-2013, 10:30 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,238,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Here's a suggestion - don't pay them on days treatment or services aren't received.
That's not enough to matter to the massive bottom line, because they will have endless other stuff they get paid for that you aren't allowed to contest. And the person providing the services doesn't really care--you have to make it in their best interests to keep your loved one alive.

As a start, let everyone involved know you have a lawyer in the family (even if you don't) and WILL SUE unless you are thrilled with the level of service. Tell them you have done it before and made lots of money, and make a big show of DOCUMENTING everything with cameras and notes and interviews that could be later used in a lawsuit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies