Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 02:48 AM

57 posts, read 134,620 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
We Canadians are paying high taxes to cover the cost of our healthcare so its not actually free but you are covered for most aspects of your healthcare as your case points out. I wonder how your case would have played out under the USA system of healthcare..
The higher taxes point is moot, anyway. One trip to the hospital in the US with my "platinum insurance" cost me more than 5 times what the same thing would have cost me in Australia if I was a foreign tourist visiting the country. The copay cost of that singly, insured hospital visit in the US was enough to pay my Australian Medicare Levy tax for FOUR YEARS.

I'll never understand why Americans are so frightened by taxation. Do they not realise how much less they are earning because their employers provide "health care" as part of their income package?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 05:57 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,739,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
Unfortunately I have had a lot of health issues over the past 20 years or so. I had major surgeries on both my knees, one complete wrist reconstruction, 5 major shoulder surgeries including a complete rebuild of my left shoulder involving bone grafts, tendon and ligament grafts. In addition to that I have had two cochlear implants. The amount of aftercare visits to the hospital, physio and Dr's clinics are uncountable.

I have never had to pay one red cent for any of this. Thank the Lord I'm a Canadian and my country supplies universal healthcare to everyone. Does it not just drive you Americans nuts that we manage to do this and spend only about 50% per capita on healthcare that your government spends?
How much are your taxes to pay for all of this?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:14 AM

6,898 posts, read 4,739,235 times
Quote:
Unfortunately I have had a lot of health issues over the past 20 years or so. I had major surgeries on both my knees, one complete wrist reconstruction, 5 major shoulder surgeries including a complete rebuild of my left shoulder involving bone grafts, tendon and ligament grafts. In addition to that I have had two cochlear implants. The amount of aftercare visits to the hospital, physio and Dr's clinics are uncountable.

I have never had to pay one red cent for any of this. Thank the Lord I'm a Canadian and my country supplies universal healthcare to everyone. Does it not just drive you Americans nuts that we manage to do this and spend only about 50% per capita on healthcare that your government spends?
Universal health care is a wonderful thing and the compassionate thing to do. But....It has problems also and will have to be tweaked or it may be gone as you know it.
'Free' Health Care in Canada Costs More Than It's Worth | Nadeem Esmail

Old 01-01-2014, 06:17 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,913,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemspy View Post
I'll never understand why Americans are so frightened by taxation. Do they not realise how much less they are earning because their employers provide "health care" as part of their income package?
We observe the absurdities of Medicare and Medicaid and VA care and other government-foisted programs like non-portable employer-funded health insurance and HMOs and mandated coverages whether you need them or not and then we ask ourselves, "do we trust this government to administer health care for all of us??"

Are you really surprised the answer is "no"?

Old 01-01-2014, 06:23 AM

50,143 posts, read 63,575,256 times
He will also get another bill from the surgeon, and anesthesiologist, and pathologist, etc.

Old 01-01-2014, 06:55 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,418,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Emergency rooms across the nation are used as doctor offices for minor illness by people who have no insurance because it is illegal not to treat them, this is why you saw such a mixture.

I know that. I was responding to a post that stipulated Illegals were the single demographic choking the ER's when in fact it's across the spectrum of society that utilize those services due to no other choice being affordable to them.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Universal health care is a wonderful thing and the compassionate thing to do. But....It has problems also and will have to be tweaked or it may be gone as you know it.
'Free' Health Care in Canada Costs More Than It's Worth | Nadeem Esmail
Well, given your article was written by a rep for the Fraser Institute, a well know Conservative biased org. I'll simply slap up another link by a guy from Harvard instead.

Canadian Health Coalition (Medicare.ca)

Old 01-01-2014, 07:07 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,171,805 times
Quote:
Australia's big health care controversy at the moment is whether we should charge a $5 fee for emergency room and GP visits.
Quote:
The higher taxes point is moot, anyway. One trip to the hospital in the US with my "platinum insurance" cost me more than 5 times what the same thing would have cost me in Australia if I was a foreign tourist visiting the country. The copay cost of that singly, insured hospital visit in the US was enough to pay my Australian Medicare Levy tax for FOUR YEARS.

No, most of us don't. I do, though. I've always thought it was absurd that it was down to the employer to provide benefits. All that does is shackle you to that job with golden handcuffs...you never want to leave, but you are screwed if you do.

Now a lot of jobs in my field (IT) are on a temporary/contract basis with no benefits. We're like fast food workers, only slightly better paid...and that's changing. Wages are going down, not up. And we have to buy our insurance out of pocket. I went from having relatively decent insurance to a major medical plan with a $10k deductible. That'll squish most peoples' entrepreneurial spirit right there. Thank god I don't have kids to support.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,021,490 times
Quote:

Canada has cut off illegals from health care so they do not provide healthcare to everyone. I realize this wasn't your point. They don't allow just anyone stream across the border and avail themselves to all the welfare programs.

Canada's system isn't nationalized. While I am no expert each providence runs their own system. We could get something like that done here far easier. The handful of states that would argue to cover illegals want no part of that though.

So can I assume you would suggest we throw out all the illegals and make sure none of them had access to healthcare like in Canada?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
How much are your taxes to pay for all of this?
Less than yours!

Individual income tax rates table | KPMG | GLOBAL

Top income tax rate: How U.S. really compares - Apr. 1, 2013

Your lower tax rates rise from 15% to 25% at the income level of $34,501.00 while our lower tax rate maintains at that level of 15% until we reach income level $41,544.00. How much healthcare would that fund for you?

Your upper tax rate kicks in at a lower income level than Canada's sooooo..........?

Now let's hit the U.S. corporate tax rate of 40% for a real eye-opener. Although this would not normally serve to foster an argument for universal healthcare it should help to mitigate that "higher tax" boogyman you folks love to trot out when discussing anything Canadian.

Take your deductible from your insurance package and pay that just once and as other posters have already pointed out; you could have had multi-years of higher taxes paying for your stupid healthcare without having to worry if you're going to go through one of those arbitration processes after being denied coverage because you forgot to declare that prescription for Prozac you got back in 1972 for post partem depression.

You people crack me up with this nonsense of comparing marginal tax rates against the nightmares of co-pays, multi-$K deductibles, possible denials, dispute processes, not to mention the outrageous cost of insurance packages to begin with and claiming those 'comparable to your taxes' we pay are exhorbitant in nature. Wow, just wow!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies