Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 11:33 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Wow, I guess it's a really good thing the ACA reformed healthcare in the US and levies penalties on hospitals that operate as monopolistic cartels, monopolistic hospital cartels that illegally collude, monopolistic hospital cartels that illegally engage in price fixing, and which price gouge consumers, plus stifle competition with the anti-Free Market "Out-of-Network" clause.

Since monopolies in healthcare are working so well for Americans, perhaps its time for phone companies, internet service providers, auto-manufactures and oil companies to form monopolies.

Uh-huh...and which part of "Out-of-Network" is Free Market?

That's because hospitals are allowed to operate as monopolistic cartels and price gouge people.

I have an idea....why don't you rant about insurance companies, in spite of the fact that monopolistic hospital cartels establish the prices of healthcare services, and not the insurance companies.

Maybe it will make you feel better.

But of course! People who are overly self-centered, egotistical and self-absorbed only care that their healthcare needs are met at the expense of others, like other Canadians....like these...

However, only 37% of the procedures overall were completed within the requested waiting time.

The risks of waiting for cardiac catheterization: a prospective study

Manitoba kills cardiac care unit, consolidates services at single site

However, attitudes changed when people on the waiting list started dying — there have been 11 deaths since 1999 — and both the Liberals and Conservatives demanded Chomiak's resignation. The last straw appears to have been the death of Diane Gorsuch, 58, who died in February after spending more than 2 years awaiting surgery. Thirteen days after she died, the review was announced.

Manitoba kills cardiac care unit, consolidates services at single site

Who cares that your government did not collect enough money in tax revenues to pay for their treatment, right?

That's a good thing, right?

Here's a new word for your vocabulary, which will expand your vocabulary to a total of at least 22 words....

con·tract
noun
noun: contract; plural noun: contracts
ˈkänˌtrakt/
a written or spoken agreement, esp. one concerning employment, sales, or tenancy, that is intended to be enforceable by law.

View Publication DD Form 4/1 Enlistment Contract

Are you suggesting that the US government should renege and violate a contract?

I smell envy.

You must be seething with incredible jealousy over those men and women who got their ass in the grass just like their brothers and uncles and fathers and grandfathers.

Yeah, it's called monopolistic hospital cartels that illegally collude to illegally fix prices far above what the Free Market would ever permit and engage in price-gouging and anti-Free Market practices like "Out-of-Network" clauses.

Ever heard of something called the US Supreme Court?

Well, there is one, and it said that healthcare is not Interstate Commerce, and therefore Congress has no right to regulate healthcare.

Would you like a link to the Interstate Commerce Clause in the US Constitution, or do you think you can manage to find that on your own?

I'm confused here.....are you saying the pill fell out of the sky, and the drug company hired a haz-mat team to recover the pill and so $150 to $250 is fair?

Yes, laughing stocks would sum it up.

"Insurance companies" (snicker) do not set the price of healthcare services, but they do set their rates relative to the prices which are set by monopolistic hospital cartels that illegally collude to illegally fix prices, and then price gouge people with stuff like $17 for two Tylenol tablets.

So, how exactly do you think insurance works?

I pay $5,000 for you, and then you get $5 Million worth of healthcare?

Can you show me the math behind that?

Well, here's the law, so can you point out where it says what you claim?

The term “emergency medical condition” means—
(A) a medical condition manifesting itself by acute symptoms of sufficient severity (including severe pain) such that the absence of immediate medical attention could reasonably be expected to result in—
  (i) placing the health of the individual (or, with respect to a pregnant woman, the health of the woman or her unborn child) in serious jeopardy,
  (ii) serious impairment to bodily functions, or
  (iii) serious dysfunction of any bodily organ or part; or
(B) with respect to a pregnant woman who is having contractions–
  (i) That there is inadequate time to effect a safe transfer to another hospital before delivery, or
  (ii) that transfer may pose a threat to the health or safety of the woman or the unborn child.

EMTALA definition of ‘stabilized’
To provide such medical treatment of the condition as may be necessary to assure, within reasonable medical probability, that no material deterioration of the condition is likely to result from or occur during the transfer of the individual from a facility, or, with respect to an emergency medical condition described in paragraph (1)(B) [a pregnant woman who is having contractions], to deliver (including the placenta).

Maybe your version in the Klingon Language has some translation errors.

Also, have you read the associated case law?

In Sweden they would have cataloged him as non-gestational and let him die.

Aren't you lucky.

Virally...

Mircea
I was wondering when you'd show up, posting your walls of text, ranting once more about the same cardiac caths and your endless logorrhea about the horrors of Canadian healthcare, which you have never experienced up close and personal.
Did you mention Diane yet, or will that be in your next post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 11:36 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,316,291 times

Quote:

However, attitudes changed when people on the
waiting list started dying — there have been 11 deaths
since 1999 — and both the Liberals and Conservatives
demanded Chomiak's resignation. The last straw appears
to have been the death of Diane Gorsuch, 58, who died
in February after spending more than 2 years awaiting surgery. Thirteen
days after she died, the review was announced
Ooops, never mind. There she is!

Old 12-30-2013, 11:45 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,457,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Did you mention Diane yet, or will that be in your next post?
That was 10 year ago. Given the horrible state of Canada's healthcare you'd think there'd be a plethora or more recent examples.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:59 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,668,849 times
BCBS must have been delighted when my father died. He developed an odd hobby in his later years....fighting health insurance companies. He absolutely loved it. You had to be careful in his living room not to knock over the foot high stacks of paper connected to his latest insurance battle.

He filed appeal after appeal, crafted lawsuits, and was just a royal pain in the ass to them. I honestly believe they eventually marked his file to indicate that paying his claims might actually be cheaper than fighting with him.

He seemed genuinely disappointed when they paid a claim without a fight...which happened more and more as time went on. His solution to that was to start fighting them on behalf of neighbors and friends.

I hope I have the wits, the time, and energy to do battle like dear ole dad when my time comes!

Old 12-31-2013, 12:08 AM

38,647 posts, read 26,361,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
Its a free market a Tea Partier would love this kind of bill. But of course almost all are on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything.

Link?

Old 12-31-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Its a free market a Tea Partier would love this kind of bill. But of course almost all are on some type of gubbermint program and dont pay anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Please post credible links to back this claim.
Quote:
Ok are you on a gubbermint program or on VA as a fall back position? Most Tea Partiers are. By that I mean 51%. With 67 million on Tricare, VA, and Medicare and another 10 million or so eligible for VA is 51% is that an exagerration? If you are a true Tea Partier you know most are on government programs and many dont pay taxes. Dont need to post a link just look at your fellow Tea Partiers.

"Special kind of dense" is right!

Anyone using the VA or Tricare is owed the care they receive by the rest of us.

Anyone on Medicare is owed the benefits they were forced to pay for by liberals like you.

The left's concept of FREE really needs to be addressed.

Old 12-31-2013, 12:42 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
"Special kind of dense" is right!

Anyone using the VA or Tricare is owed the care they receive by the rest of us.

Anyone on Medicare is owed the benefits they were forced to pay for by liberals like you.

The left's concept of FREE really needs to be addressed.
Excuse, but no one never asked me if my money could be used for soldiers healthcare when they signed up voluntarily. If the soldiers were actually acting in defense of this country during a time of legitimate war instead of us being g world police, maybe they deserve it. But any soldier who feels they are entitled to healthcare because they got injured or hurt in Afghanistan or Iraq should learn to deal with the consequences of violating their oath to uphold the constitution, which specifies that a declaration of war most be done in order to engage in war related activities. The war powers act is unconstitutional.. And therefore, all soldiers should have disobeyed the orders given to them to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.

PS I'm being very sarcastic. I have family in the military. But the way you spout out your view that only some should receive healthcare due to certain occupations is as ludicrous as my sarcawtic post above. Healthcare is a right and no one should be denied care because of their inability to pat or because their job doesn't offer health insurance. The rights view on healthcare is vile and discusting. Its as simple as that.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:40 AM

15,859 posts, read 21,426,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Many times viral stories do have only a small basis in fact but the real facts are we have not done anything to address the cost side of health care.

I have a family member going through cancer treatment. Now I will agree that anecdotal examples do not prove a lot but two injections cost $24,000. That is something simply not sustainable.
I go to my cancer center next Tuesday to have bloodwork, a scan, and my follow up appointment with my oncologist. Just ONE DAY that does not include any form of treatment or require a room will cost close to $30,000. Luckily, I have "Cadillac insurance" so I will only be responsible for a few hundred dollars in copays, but plenty of people are not so lucky. I need these scans several times a year, though down from my high of 4 times a year. I'm early in my career- $30,000 is 3/4 of my take-home yearly income. When going through treatment, I saw my oncologist sometimes twice a week with each appointment alone costing more than a week's salary. Each infusion was almost my yearly income at the time. I had 2 infusions a month for 6 months. What killed me though was the cost of prescription medications. Even with insurance and generics, my scripts cost thousands of dollars a month during treatment and are still a few hundred dollars a month today.

That money goes not only toward supplies and personnel, but also paying for the expensive equipment needed for the scans. The amount is high, but I obviously think that all those involved need to be paid a salary in line with their skills. That said, the average American has no means to pay it off. $10,000 is HALF of the average American's take-home. Half. And probably more than that for the average 20 year old. Half of your income AFTER INSURANCE. That's simply not sustainable as a society.

Sure, we have great doctors. But we also have people being bankrupted because they have the misfortune of getting sick before hitting Medicare age.

Old 12-31-2013, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Excuse, but no one never asked me if my money could be used for soldiers healthcare when they signed up voluntarily. If the soldiers were actually acting in defense of this country during a time of legitimate war instead of us being g world police, maybe they deserve it. But any soldier who feels they are entitled to healthcare because they got injured or hurt in Afghanistan or Iraq should learn to deal with the consequences of violating their oath to uphold the constitution, which specifies that a declaration of war most be done in order to engage in war related activities. The war powers act is unconstitutional.. And therefore, all soldiers should have disobeyed the orders given to them to fight in Afghanistan and Iraq.

PS I'm being very sarcastic. I have family in the military. But the way you spout out your view that only some should receive healthcare due to certain occupations is as ludicrous as my sarcawtic post above. Healthcare is a right and no one should be denied care because of their inability to pat or because their job doesn't offer health insurance. The rights view on healthcare is vile and discusting. Its as simple as that.

Your money?

The IRS would disagree.

Ok, now the next step for you would be to get someone elected to public office who agrees with you that serving in the military is an "occupation" and that those who enlist in the armed forces are no more entitled to healthcare for injuries sustained while serving the country than some dork who works at Burger King.

FTR, I understand that we went into Iraq and Afghanistan to kill people who are now dead. I see no need to stay for any sort of nation building mission, but the left disagrees and seems to like war, declared or not, just fine when it's Obama's wars.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:12 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Your money?

The IRS would disagree.

Ok, now the next step for you would be to get someone elected to public office who agrees with you that serving in the military is an "occupation" and that those who enlist in the armed forces are no more entitled to healthcare for injuries sustained while serving the country than some dork who works at Burger King.

FTR, I understand that we went into Iraq and Afghanistan to kill people who are now dead. I see no need to stay for any sort of nation building mission, but the left disagrees and seems to like war, declared or not, just fine when it's Obama's wars.
Its not an entitlement. EVERYONE should be granted the right to healthcare, regardless of pay, just like everyone is granted the right to have police and justice system serve them, even if they have no money. Healthcare is one of THE ONLY THINGS that are a true necessity. Hell even if you run out of food, you can resort to begging, and heck even trapping food in the wild. But I cant learn to radiate myself if I come down with cancer or develop a steroid to relieve my chronic pain because I have Chrons disease. I will say that someone who supports single payer, Im not stupid enough to assume that's its free, and in fact, it irks me when I hear single payer proponents say free healthcare. I know that it comes out of our pockets via taxes, but it is free at the time of services. And by all other estimates, its saving other countries money and it covers EVERYONE. IT DOES work but the right is stubborn to change and so is the left, because if they had the cajones to pass single payer, they could have when they had super majority. Instead we get a right wing plan that helps but does not solve the issue of covering every one.

Did you not read my PS part. I WAS BEING SARCASTIC. Of course soldiers should receive healthcare, but so should every other american. And you say dork flipping patties at BK. While there may be slackers, anytime I roll through fast food with my friends (I refuse to intentionally poison myself, but I still go with them to hang out) , more and more of the people are of middle age who lost jobs because as a nation, we lost our way by outsourcing and losing our manufacture base. But that's for another debate.

AND NO its not fine when ANY president put this nation at risk by the continuation of foreign policies which has led us into where we are today. The blow back that we have seen due to our belief that we must be world police will haunt this nation if we continue down this path, and it does pain me to see BOTH sides be hypocritical as they both perpetuate the cycle that we are on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies