Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 02:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpaddy View Post
True, but you can drive down the average by setting the pay scale at a number that is appealing to immigrants from the second and third world and make it a "take it or leave it" proposition to the domestic work force. Then when Americans don't fill the positions, you can make the case that you need even more H1B visas.
correct, sir.

these guys will FIND a way to hire H1B's; they will tweak the job requirements and title until they hit that sweet spot.

reason being: you hire an H1B, he/she will not push for higher pay, for fear of being deported.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 03:39 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A lot of H1B jobs are in IT, and there are skills with high demand and no supply of workers.
Oh please. I was laid off from my IT job in October and despite lots of calls from recruiters, there's nothing available in my area except low-paid contract work. So I started my own business instead. It is cold out there. Very cold, at least for database developers.

To add insult to injury, all of my phone screens were conducted by Indian nationals. They're stealing our jobs, plain and simple.

Old 12-31-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
these guys will FIND a way to hire H1B's; they will tweak the job requirements and title until they hit that sweet spot.

reason being: you hire an H1B, he/she will not push for higher pay, for fear of being deported.
This. There is no skills gap. We're just importing Indians to do the work for less money. It's an outrage. The H1B system is a slap in the face to American IT workers.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:09 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,386,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Mal, i've asked this question time and time again. Why aren't WE TRAINING THESE PEOPLE OURSELVES!!! In a population of 300 million, we can't train our own IT professionals? We're reduced to importing these people? The greatest nation in the world (so called)?

We ought to be ashamed of ourselves. I know damn sure that i am.
I totally agree!

Old 12-31-2013, 04:16 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Coders write to the specs and requirements provided by the analysts. To me they are more valuable then the guys putting it all together. Being able to solve business problems through software is a and more valuable higher skill than typing it out in code. You don't want to put most of these people in front of a customer. Leave them in their cubes hacking out lines of code. In my experience, coding jobs were the first positions you get after leaving Tier 1 support.

My experience is with very large IT companies (EDS/HP).

I agree that every team needs some strong technical leaders to go between the coders and the analysts.
In most companies a Sr Systems Analyst will do all of the above, including coding and going in front of the customers. I do all of it, and I work for a company with over 85K employees and our business is software.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:23 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Oh please. I was laid off from my IT job in October and despite lots of calls from recruiters, there's nothing available in my area except low-paid contract work. So I started my own business instead. It is cold out there. Very cold, at least for database developers.

To add insult to injury, all of my phone screens were conducted by Indian nationals. They're stealing our jobs, plain and simple.
Work done in India is taking the jobs away, not the H1B workers who work here. We have laid off a lot of people in US and hired in India and it does suck. At this point the Director and VP positions are also being filled in India. I dont like it one bit. I have survived 16 rounds of layoffs so I know a lot of people like you. Its not funny, but the problem is not H1B. As a matter of fact things were much better when we got the projects and hired H1B workes as opposed to sending the projects overseas. I miss those times.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Work done in India is taking the jobs away, not the H1B workers who work here. We have laid off a lot of people in US and hired in India and it does suck. At this point the Director and VP positions are also being filled in India. I dont like it one bit. I have survived 16 rounds of layoffs so I know a lot of people like you. Its not funny, but the problem is not H1B. As a matter of fact things were much better when we got the projects and hired H1B workes as opposed to sending the projects overseas. I miss those times.
This is true. Actually America should pay attention to this.

Old 12-31-2013, 04:40 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCbFEgFajGU

Old 12-31-2013, 04:53 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,825 times
We are? I picked up an AAs Degree in networking on a NAFTA grant and never got a sniff coming out of college. I had a bit of experience through and internship and keeping up a CAD lab for the local high school for a year and would have worked for what I was making running machine centers. I ended up back in the Machine Shop for $3 an hour less than the job that got sent to Windsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
I totally agree!

Old 12-31-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
I made it to 38 without ever being laid off, and I've survived a lot of RIFs. My points stand about H1Bs. I've formed these opinions through 16 years of experience and I doubt anything you say is going to be able to stand up against what I personally have observed. Sorry.

If this business fails, I think I am going to re-train for another industry altogether. I'm sick of working in Calcutta sweatshops, being disrespected by Indian men, and watching mediocre coders do crappy work and put Americans out of work because they're $5-$10/hr cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies