Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 07:04 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,774,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrestigiousReputability View Post
Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!
Due to religious reasons and due to the fact that two people of the same sex/gender having sex with each other cannot lead to reproduction, which many people consider to be important.

Both of these reasons appear to be weak, in my honest opinion. I can elaborate on this if necessary.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meyerland View Post
My taboos are: pedophilia, bestiality, incest, and abusive relationships
Why consensual incest exactly?

Old 01-01-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So society views man having sex with an animal less grossly offensive to the senses than a man having sex with another man?
Not necessarily. I think that the lack of anti-bestiality laws might be due to the fact that it is (considered to be) less of an issue.

For the record, I apologize if this sounds extremely bad, but why exactly is an adult non-human animal having consensual sex with an adult human in a scenario where humans managed to figure out how to accurately communicate with animals any worse than an adult human having legally consensual sex with another adult human? After all, adult non-human animals have sex with each other all of the time.

Also, everyone better avoid straw-manning my statement and position here, please.

Old 01-01-2014, 07:11 PM

Again, to clarify, I am against legalizing bestiality for anyone right now, since human beings are unable to currently accurately communicate with non-human animals.

Old 01-01-2014, 08:24 PM

373 posts, read 587,858 times
Religion for one (people oughta read "A World Lit Only By Fire.") Great book.

Decency. A word purged from the English vocabulary. So as a result, these days, everything is in your face, and everybody is obsessesed with the idea of "who does that person do it with." [MYOB has seemed to disappear, too] And after all, it is a matter of taste. Some like it, some not. (Its kinda like painting your house in the middle of the block of beige houses, purple with yellow shutters.) Bound to get a reaction.

Old 01-01-2014, 09:18 PM

8 posts, read 24,812 times
Quote:
Why can't same-sex attraction just be viewed as a simple random attraction such as somebody liking macaroni over pasta; or preferring cookies over brownies; or thinking audi's are cooler than infiniti's?

Why do people demonize this random preference that people have like it's so important?

It's so strange that there is this universal hate of people with this preference in almost every religion? Like really, it's so trivial and random!

The major reason is religion. No matter how much our country stresses freedom of religion, our country is a "Christian" place. They operate based off of that religion and anything outside of that is viewed as wrong....like a dog having sex with a cat.

Old 01-02-2014, 12:55 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,274,199 times
In my experience, people have trouble with things they don't understand or haven't personally experienced — and not only in the realm of sexuality. How many times have you heard someone exclaim, "How could anyone eat that?" Or, "Who would wear such a thing!" The answer is usually ... a lot of people ... it depends where you are.

Most of the people I know who are strongly opposed to LGBTs think they don't know any personally. That's the main reason I strongly support gay people coming out, even though I think anyone should have their relationships in private if they wish to. I'm the kind of person who thinks all other people are entitled to do whatever they wish to do with whomever they wish, as long as they aren't causing pain or suffering or taking advantage of another. It's hard to account for any matters of taste, attraction, and love and I don't try ... except to wonder sometimes. For example, I ask myself constantly why do so many people like country music?

But, seriously, it obviously becomes harder and harder for people to hate gays when they find out a sibling, their child, a favorite co-worker, or a respected artist or teacher, etc., is homosexual. There comes a point when even the worst bigot might have to say, "Well, I guess "they" aren't all bad."

Same with people who discriminate because of race or religion. How many people who don't want a mosque in their town even KNOW a single Muslim? How much do they know about the Muslim religion at all? Often not anything. I have white racists in my family who have ridiculously wrong notions of how people of other races are different than they are. It's appalling. And it's usually based on ignorance. My own father was in his fifties before one of his kids broke it to him that Roman Catholicism isn't the world's largest religious group.

Education, travel, interacting with other cultures in every way possible does more to remove prejudice than anything. It's easy to hate what you don't know.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:42 AM

30,207 posts, read 23,620,464 times
Quote:

Did you know pedophiles also don't have the choice that they are attracted to children? Do you believe that is "trivial and random" as well?

For the reading comprehension impaired, I did not say that gay people are pedophiles. If you are going to talk about "preferences", then be honest.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:55 AM

26,991 posts, read 43,557,661 times
Quote:

Because most religions are rife with hypocrisy. They preach love and understanding to one another, if you fall into certain categories.

Old 01-02-2014, 07:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,768,024 times
IMO only bisexuals can have a preference. I mean, I prefer chocolate ice cream to vanilla but I will gladly eat either. However, if one has no attraction to their same sex then even on a cold lonely night they're not going to settle for a same-sex partner. Likewise, someone who is gay isn't going to go for an opposite-sex partner just because what they want isn't available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies