Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 10:25 AM

1,397 posts, read 1,613,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Basically because of core beliefs as sinful and other just wrong individually. Much like adultery not seen as just another preference in relationship. Attraction is not the sin or wrong; its the act itself.
Tex, let's clarify--it's against YOUR core beliefs. Which is fine, everyone is entitled to an OPINION. But when you force me to abide by LAW to what I consider a book of misguided fairytales, that's when its crossing the line. The US is not a theocracy--if you wish for such, take a look at how grand life is in the middle east. When you DENY me the right to be with my dying partner in the hospital because of law, or deny us the same constitutional rights as any other couple, simply because YOU are uncomfortable, that is wrong.

Fat, old people having intimate relations make me uncomfortable but you don't see us going around denying them the right to be happy. Live and let live. Two consenting adults in a homosexual relationship does not affect YOU at all.

The ability for gays to marry, collect life insurance, enjoy the same rights as hetero couples is MORE IMPORTANT than your uncomfortableness. And the tides are turning in our favor.

Old 01-16-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Now you're quoting the Bible again to tell me.... what.... I should be obeying the Bible or disregarding it? You have no coherence in your argument. Don't quote the Bible - why would you?

Show me examples of orthodox Jews who practice cannibalism as a part of the Mosaic Law, while hypocritically condemning homosexual behavior, or vice versa. That's ALL I want to hear from you.

The point is, your comparison is ridiculous and your take on scripture is ludicrous. I mean, why should I rely on YOUR moral guidance? Is it any better than that of Moses?
LZ, I think you'e completely missing the forest for the trees here. They were just noting that Christians tend to "cherry pick" the Bible. The fact that many of the people in the Bible Belt are suspiciously mum on the sins of gluttony, the consumption of pork (hooved beasts), and wearing clothing made of different types of fabric, YET will fight gay rights tooth and nail is why no one takes that crowd seriously. If you're going to claim to be a Christian, you shouldn't be hypocritical and pick and choose what YOU want to follow, let alone force your beliefs through legislature onto non-Christians. I'm all for everyone having their own opinions--you don't like gays, fine. But keep it out of everyone else's lives.

That's like me saying "I'm on a diet, so no one else should eat donuts! It makes me uncomfortable!"

Old 01-16-2014, 01:08 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,399,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
LZ, I think you'e completely missing the forest for the trees here. They were just noting that Christians tend to "cherry pick" the Bible. The fact that many of the people in the Bible Belt are suspiciously mum on the sins of gluttony, the consumption of pork (hooved beasts), and wearing clothing made of different types of fabric, YET will fight gay rights tooth and nail is why no one takes that crowd seriously. If you're going to claim to be a Christian, you shouldn't be hypocritical and pick and choose what YOU want to follow, let alone force your beliefs through legislature onto non-Christians. I'm all for everyone having their own opinions--you don't like gays, fine. But keep it out of everyone else's lives.

That's like me saying "I'm on a diet, so no one else should eat donuts! It makes me uncomfortable!"
For one thing take into consideration things you posted as sins I can name a few more that yes I'm guilty of. But Homosexuality is mentioned in Old and New Testaments and considered an abomination and very clear what will happen if they continue with this but because of Jesus Christ we repent of or sins and turn from them we will live. This is all Homosexuals have to do but most don't want to do this.

So being Gods children I will encourage them to turn from this sin and Pray for them because as a Christian I Love them and want them to live into eternity.

brushrunner

Old 01-16-2014, 01:50 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,274,199 times
[quote=brushrunner;33048364] ... This is all Homosexuals have to do but most don't want to do this ... So being Gods children I will encourage them to turn from this sin ... /quote]

Yep, that's ALL they have to do. Repudiate every emotion they were born with, spend their entire lives pretending to be someone they are not, and deny themselves love and the right to make a family of their own choosing. A right all other Americans have.

All to please people they may not ever know and people who believe in values they don't believe in. That's all. Whatchurproblem?

Old 01-16-2014, 02:06 PM

5,833 posts, read 7,677,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astorian31 View Post
The Bible is clear:

2 KINGS 6:29 says: "So we boiled my son, and did eat him: and I said unto her on the next day, Give thy son, that we may eat him: and she hath hid her son."

We need to repent and change the law of man as so to allow for parents to BOIL, not fry, their children and eat them.

The Bible is clear.

Astorian31.
The Bible IS clear here. You either do not understand or (more likely) are selectively pulling one verse to distort what was said. This verse comes from a section that describes a horrific event that occurred during the siege of a city. There is no place where it says that what happens was a good thing and it certainly doesn't proscribe such a thing.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:07 PM

16,903 posts, read 16,055,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
the bible is clear i am not to judge but the bible is clear on homosexuals entering the kingdom of god and jesus was clear on this "repent , for the kingdom of heaven is near." matthew 4:17.

Repenting is asking for forgiveness and not returning to your sin. Before my baby sister passed from this world she repented i pray the best for her. Yes she was a lesbian.

Brushrunner

lol!.....

Old 01-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
For one thing take into consideration things you posted as sins I can name a few more that yes I'm guilty of. But Homosexuality is mentioned in Old and New Testaments and considered an abomination and very clear what will happen if they continue with this but because of Jesus Christ we repent of or sins and turn from them we will live. This is all Homosexuals have to do but most don't want to do this.

So being Gods children I will encourage them to turn from this sin and Pray for them because as a Christian I Love them and want them to live into eternity.

brushrunner

But why such fervor to that abomination when Christians ignore so many others? It is God's position to judge, so stay out of it.

Then again, you must realize that not everyone holds your religious beliefs or wants to be saved. No matter how much you try to "save" people, unless they want to be "saved", you are just pushing people away. Look at whats happening to the church. People are turning away from it more and more. And not because you "love" them. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:12 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,399,471 times
Quote:
But why such fervor to that abomination when Christians ignore so many others? It is God's position to judge, so stay out of it.

Then again, you must realize that not everyone holds your religious beliefs or wants to be saved. No matter how much you try to "save" people, unless they want to be "saved", you are just pushing people away. Look at whats happening to the church. People are turning away from it more and more. And not because you "love" them. Honey attracts more flies than vinegar.
Some seed falls upon bad ground, so be it.

brushrunner

Old 01-17-2014, 08:18 PM

2,666 posts, read 2,218,938 times
Quote:

No. I'm afraid I'm not missing a thing. But you are.

You're making the exact sort of circular argument he's making.

"Many people"

"Christians"

"Port and fabric"

It's all IRRELEVANT.

You don't understand the Torah. You don't understand the Mosaic Law. You apparently don't understand who wrote the old testament. You don't understand the beliefs of Jews versus the beliefs of Christians. You don't understand anything.

Orthodox Jews don't eat pork, don't wear forbidden fabrics AND they believe homosexuality is a sin. And they don't practice cannibalism. And they do ALL OF THIS IN ACCORDANCE with the Torah. Jews live by more than 600 commandments, as well as other rabbinical traditions and guidance. Christians DON'T have the same beliefs.

Therefore.... your argument is moot and pointless and well..... stupid. Christianity and Judaism are TWO DISTINCT BIBLICAL SYSTEMS.

Just because you think that all Christians should be observing the Orthodox Jewish law in accordance with Rabbinical decrees, and you think they should be full-fledged members of the ancient Hebrew theocracy.... doesn't mean they have to do it. Why don't you go pick on the Muslims for a change? They condemn homosexuality too, but they don't practice Passover.... are you worried to death about it?

As if to say that you would be happy or satisfied if Christians were doing all those things anyway. You wouldn't. Because the issue isn't about hypocrisy. That's a smoke screen. It's about ideology and politics. Nothing else. It's about Democrats and liberals wanting to turn the world upside down to placate a monied special interest cabal in order to get votes and thus more power for themselves.

Last edited by Led Zeppelin; 01-17-2014 at 08:33 PM..

Old 01-17-2014, 09:25 PM

833 posts, read 1,195,096 times
First off I'm pro gay marriage.

With that said.... It's just freaking wrong. Two penises? Two sets of breasts? I mean seriously......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies