Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:50 AM

1,264 posts, read 1,547,287 times

Advertisements

LOL these RWNJs are so delusional, thinking that it's the poor people who drive up the debt. I'd like to see some of these ultra fiscal conservatives still try to live well with minimum wage.

Also, I think it's significant that much of the increased debt n the recent years is actually going to come from other transfer payments like retirement funds, but instead they go after the poor and disadvantaged and call them "lazy", and now "rich"???? So what is the point here??? Do you want us to stop helping those at an economic disadvantage and see that type of poverty, so you can be even richer?
Honestly groups like the Tea Party disgust me with how they decide to shrink government spending by pointing fingers at those less fortunate than themselves. Rather than at others with their healthcare cost skyrocketing obese lifestyles, or big pharm in the US for keeping so many medical costs high (making it so people would be forced onto these medical programs who would otherwise be able to pay for more out of their own pocket).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,094,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
By that definition, no one in my entire city (regardless of income) has a good quality of life. Can you try again?

They don't have kids. They have the free time to spend hours upon hours improving themselves and working to find a better job. That is more valuable than any handout.
I don't believe your 'entire city' is as bad as some of the neighborhoods I'm talking about.

I don't think you should be trying to relate to a poverty thread when your 24 and claim to be making 6 figures. It's awesome your doing well, but I don't think 2 years post college is enough experience. Especially when your in school or training during that time.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,177,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I don't believe your 'entire city' is as bad as some of the neighborhoods I'm talking about.

I don't think you should be trying to relate to a poverty thread when your 24 and claim to be making 6 figures. It's awesome your doing well, but I don't think 2 years post college is enough experience. Especially when your in school or training during that time.
I am 28, not 24. I make just over six figures, which is average for someone coming from the MBA program I have under my belt.

I graduated college, worked as a computer programmer/team lead for a few years while getting an MBA part time from a top 15 school. After graduating, I moved into a role in the investment management community. I didn't make a six figure salary until I was 26.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:03 PM

46,873 posts, read 25,830,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
I don't think you guys know how common cell phone use is around the world even in poor countries.
It is by far the cheapest way to provide voice networks.

Old 01-03-2014, 03:19 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,199,787 times
Perhaps poverty might be linked with infant mortality rates as in the U.S. many of the babies born are premature and poor mothers, aren't getting enough access to medical care. Hopefully the ACA will help decrease this statistic. The only thing that keeps infant mortality from being higher is Medicaid.

U.S. has highest first-day infant mortality out of industrialized world, group reports - CBS News

Or maybe it is dental care.

http://www.smallsmilesusa.com/dental-diseasein-america.php

Old 01-03-2014, 08:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,546,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Why are you comparing yourself to your "counterpart" in the third world?

You don't live in a third world country.
I would think the counterpart would be bottom income rung.

If you live in the USA where minimum wage is over $7 an hour and you can own a car, eat meals out in restaurants, wear store-bought clothes (not from Salvation Army), you are definitely not like your low wage or minimum wage counterpart.

Travel to Mexico and see how those who make that country's minimum wage or a little above it live. The minimum wage there is about $4.50 a day -- about $25 a week. You wouldn't be living in a house much bigger than 400 sq feet, you wouldn't own a car, you wouldn't eat many restaurant meals, you probably won't have an airconditioned house -- except for the fact that homes made from old wood pallets and cardboard don't get too stuffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies