Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2014, 09:29 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,138,992 times

Advertisements

This →

Quote:
UN says violence claimed lives of 7,818 civilians in Iraq in 2013, highest toll in years\
Published January 01, 2014, Associated Press

BAGHDAD – The United Nations mission to Iraq says violence claimed the lives of 7,818 civilians in 2013, the highest annual death toll in years.

The U.N. figures issued Wednesday gave a total of 759 people killed in December alone, including 661 civilians and 98 members of the security forces.

The U.N.'s monthly figures for both civilians and security forces over the year totaled 8,868

Read the rest @ UN says violence claimed lives of 7,818 civilians in Iraq in 2013, highest toll in years | Fox News

Uh, but what about BEFORE we found him in his hole? Check this out →

Quote:
According to The New York Times, "he [Saddam] murdered as many as a million of his people, many with poison gas. He tortured, maimed and imprisoned countless more. His unprovoked invasion of Iran is estimated to have left another million people dead. His seizure of Kuwait threw the Middle East into crisis. More insidious, arguably, was the psychological damage he inflicted on his own land. Hussein created a nation of informants — friends on friends, circles within circles — making an entire population complicit in his rule" Other estimates as to the number of Iraqis killed by Saddam's regime vary from roughly a quarter to half a million, including 50,000 to 182,000 Kurds and 25,000 to 280,000 killed during the repression of the 1991 rebellion. Estimates for the number of dead in the Iran-Iraq war range upwards from 300,000

From Human rights in Saddam Hussein's Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, are they better off or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 09:41 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
It has went from state oppression and violence towards the people to sectarian and indiscriminate violence by the people (well a minority of the people).

Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
I posted about this in another thread.. I think the U.S gained very LITTLE from the war in 2003 other than killing Saddam Hussein.. but gained nothing in the fight against terror and made the situation worse.. Fighting terror isn't war on a country - it is through intelligence and strategically cutting the head off of terrorist groups. I was totally against the 2003 war in Iraq which killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people - yet all for the justice brought to Osama Bin Laden and the continued - targeted and strategic hits on terrorist elements ie drone strikes etc.

The intelligence on Iraq in 2003 with respect to its WMD was completely off and there was more than enough warning. As a result Iraq is now a breeding ground for a whole new generation of anti U.S/anti west citizens who will become future terrorists because so many have lost innocent loved one's at the hands of Americans.

Now - was Saddam a brutal dictator - sure he was (and he got just rewards!!) but to what extent can we in the west police all nations of the world? Syria, North Korea etc have just as brutal dictators as Iraq did. I'm sure there's no love for many other nations and their brutal/human rights violating leaders but does this mean we can afford to go in and clean up shop everywhere? No and and at what cost to human lives are we willing to take to do this? Estimates range up to half/million Iraqi's dead as a result of the War since 2003 and close to 5000 Western Soldiers dead - not to mention the tens of thousands of mainly Americans scarred and injured for life... There has to be a better way! Plus - look at the debt of the U.S now as a result - trillions of dollars - gone!

Old 01-01-2014, 09:55 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,846,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
not to mention the tens of thousands of mainly Americans scarred and injured for life
??? Nearly 200 UK deaths and 3,000 seriously injured!

We had 40,000 troops in Iraq - America had 150,000.

Although the US troops undoubtedly took the biggest loss - the UK took bad losses also.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:16 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
I posted about this in another thread.. I think the U.S gained very LITTLE from the war in 2003 other than killing Saddam Hussein.. but gained nothing in the fight against terror and made the situation worse.. Fighting terror isn't war on a country - it is through intelligence and strategically cutting the head off of terrorist groups. I was totally against the 2003 war in Iraq which killed hundreds of thousands of innocent people - yet all for the justice brought to Osama Bin Laden and the continued - targeted and strategic hits on terrorist elements ie drone strikes etc.

The intelligence on Iraq in 2003 with respect to its WMD was completely off and there was more than enough warning. As a result Iraq is now a breeding ground for a whole new generation of anti U.S/anti west citizens who will become future terrorists because so many have lost innocent loved one's at the hands of Americans.

Now - was Saddam a brutal dictator - sure he was (and he got just rewards!!) but to what extent can we in the west police all nations of the world? Syria, North Korea etc have just as brutal dictators as Iraq did. I'm sure there's no love for many other nations and their brutal/human rights violating leaders but does this mean we can afford to go in and clean up shop everywhere? No and and at what cost to human lives are we willing to take to do this? Estimates range up to half/million Iraqi's dead as a result of the War since 2003 and close to 5000 Western Soldiers dead - not to mention the tens of thousands of mainly Americans scarred and injured for life... There has to be a better way! Plus - look at the debt of the U.S now as a result - trillions of dollars - gone!
Excellent post +1

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
This →

Read the rest @ UN says violence claimed lives of 7,818 civilians in Iraq in 2013, highest toll in years | Fox News

Uh, but what about BEFORE we found him in his hole? Check this out →

From Human rights in Saddam Hussein's Iraq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So, are they better off or what?
That's like asking whether it's better to get kicked in the gonads, or the face.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:38 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times
The whole Iraq thing was so incredibly disingenuous. Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11, there were no WMDs (and anyone who believes our CIA and government did not know this is kidding themselves) and as far as having to get rid of a mean old dictator? Well there was a mean old dictator 90 miles away in Cuba that didn't seem to bother them at all, despite all of the Cuban-Americans living here who have a major interest in having the Cuban dictatorship destroyed. Iraq is different, but improved? It is impossible to tell--which is telling in itself. It was a huge folly, massive waste of money and never should have been a US priority. This is the result of ex-cold war hawks running the country. Bush was avenging his father, and Cheney and Rumsfeld never got over losing Viet Nam. They were always looking back instead of forward and we lost an entire decade of progress, while other countries surged ahead. Is Iraq better off? Shouldn't the question be is the US better because of that war? No it is not.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM

808 posts, read 1,878,694 times
I care more about what we got for ousting Hussein. Nearly 4500 dead and over 32,000 injured Americans that's what we got.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:38 PM

8 posts, read 29,056 times
USA invaded Iraq because the iraqi army was strong enough to not allow Iran and USA play around and control our countries like right now, Saddam was not a dictator and he didn't kill any innocent, saddam did a lot of things for his people and i know as i have relatives living in iraq but he killed the Iranian spys and those who were trying to support iran to get into iraq, all arabs and iraqis are regretting the death of saddam because he was a man and he even protected and supported Kuwait during the time he was alive but this is a nasty Irani-american game somehow they got in some iranis who are holding Kuwaiti citizenship and messed up a lot on the iraqi borders and stole iraqi oil from there ( huge story no explain that now ) and then the US played her role by motivating Saddam to go on a war with Kuwait as they knew the results and its kind of shared benfits for both Iran and the US iran ( Drama making countries ) its easy to lie on you guys in the west and they can control your brains so easy to make you believe in tons of bull and falsehoods and make arabs and Muslims and everything related to us look horrible and full of terrorism even on the internet there is nowhere you can find the real truth of whats going on here and who are us you even have no idea how osama bin laden got killed or whether he is dead or not with a government even killing her own people in an indirect very well planned ways and claim its terrorists its Arabs to have more excuses and make you go on rage and think that we deserve whats happening to us.. FOR GOD SAKE how can you believe that terrorists have such abilities and a military craft to fly all that way to north america and fly inside the US without them noticing and then hit your building like that?? my Father's friend couple of years ago flied with glider not over but close to a US base by fault and they shoot him instantly IN HIS COUNTRY in Kuwait's territories, last thing i want to say is that you are MILES faraway from the truth of whats going on in this world, sorry if someone got offended i really didn't mean to offend any but we struggled and suffered a lot and still suffering and human beings are unable to see that many kids got their parents murdered and burnt while they were observing and that happened in many Muslim countries as we are the only target ( The thing that people cannot see) our people deal with racism in your countries and hate from so many but here no western ever dealt with racism or hate but welcoming, love and made tons of friends ( yes we have a lot of expats in the middle east from North america and Europe ) and even of all what happened to us from your government we still don't hate you and nobody ever though of going and bomb himself as a terrorist somewhere in your lands our religion prohibited that strongly and since we don't believe in the kind of grace you have that clear your sins, our punishment is very strong if we killed any human being or a living creature anyway this is not the case but hope you guys could understand something from my weird English and could understand what i meant to say.

one last fact you must know is Iran not one of us and we don't count them as one or as Muslims they are fake group who actually want to f*** the middle east and Arabs the same way US and Israel want to.

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-02-2014 at 05:59 AM.. Reason: Bashing/cursing

Old 01-01-2014, 01:15 PM

6,467 posts, read 8,188,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Bush was avenging his father, and Cheney and Rumsfeld never got over losing Viet Nam. They were always looking back instead of forward and we lost an entire decade of progress, while other countries surged ahead. Is Iraq better off? Shouldn't the question be is the US better because of that war? No it is not.
That drunk coward Cheney (received five draft deferments) should have been a pacifist. He reportedly said, "I had other priorities in the '60s than military service". . I might not agree politically with McCain but the man is undoubtedly a true war hero . He is also negative to the use of torture as he experienced a fair share of it in Vietnam. Cheney should have least tried waterboarding once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies