Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2014, 03:17 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times

Advertisements

The US pays as much per capita for healthcare as nations with universal healthcare, but we don't have it. I support major reforms to reduce the insane costs of care and prescription drugs. Drug companies shouldn't be able to charge whatever they want. A huge cost of our health care comes from over-prescribing all sorts of drugs to seniors that they don't really need.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/danmu...costsbyAge.png

I would support something to reduce the insane out of pocket costs people have to pay for health conditions. I don't think a major health catastrophe should have to set a family back to the brink of bankruptcy just to get fixed. I suppose most people don't have assets and could simply file bankruptcy, take whatever money they have, buy precious metals and bury the metals in their back yard... that basically gives them 'free health care' since they won't deny someone coverage.

Still there has to be a better way.... a way to provide universal healthcare without having people take advantage of it, and still provide coverage... I would support it along with lots of other things if I had total power which I do not. : )

Last edited by sholomar; 01-01-2014 at 03:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2014, 03:22 PM

2,226 posts, read 2,390,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Cut the Military by half? I would be for that, if they also cut our missions by half. You can't use us as a world police force and cut spending by half. That would mean mind our own business in places like Libya, Syria,the Sudan and Afghanistan.
That would mean not sending a carrier battle group when places like Haiti have an earthquake.
It would also mean no longer maintain bases all over the world.
What parts of the Military do you consider a waste? The F-22? The B-2 the M1A1 tank? The level of training we provide our troops or the body armor?
Well I definitely think we need to stop giving aid to all of these foreign countries. It sounds cruel, but we have enough people in this country to take care of. We don't have enough money to keep rescuing people in the Philippines and Haiti.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

3,404 posts, read 3,440,097 times
I caught a commercial today that fits this question.

It asked if you have joint pain and are on medicaid because if you are they have a free joint support band for you. All i could think of was how much this $10 store bought piece costing me thru this company selling it to the goverment.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:30 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Cut the Military by half? I would be for that, if they also cut our missions by half. You can't use us as a world police force and cut spending by half. That would mean mind our own business in places like Libya, Syria,the Sudan and Afghanistan.
That would mean not sending a carrier battle group when places like Haiti have an earthquake.
It would also mean no longer maintain bases all over the world.
What parts of the Military do you consider a waste? The F-22? The B-2 the M1A1 tank? The level of training we provide our troops or the body armor?
Agreed! yes we dont need our military to be the world police, and shouldnt put them in harms way to do so. Sure stay out of libya, syria, the sudan, and Afghanistan

I disagree on using the carrier for disaster relief, the cost isnt extreme, and puts us in a good light. So...shrug. cope

correct we shouldnt maintain bases all over the world, we should maintain a few, but nothing like we do now.

What parts are a waste? How about a freaking dozen aircraft carriers. Huge targets, massively expensive. How about 6 aircraft carriers, and a dozen smaller carriers specialized for drones?

How about the extra f-22 engine?

Theres a ton of waste in the military, and everyone knows it.

How about making them actually have a budget that could be audited?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:41 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,425,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
I caught a commercial today that fits this question.

It asked if you have joint pain and are on medicaid because if you are they have a free joint support band for you. All i could think of was how much this $10 store bought piece costing me thru this company selling it to the goverment.
I saw that one too, also the Hover-round, "Obamaphone", and walk-in bath commercials. There's a whole industry figuring out what the gov't will pay for then marketing the hell out it as "free" to consumers.

Old 01-01-2014, 03:43 PM

15,935 posts, read 12,227,502 times
there's a ton of waste in our whole government. Rather than let the system crash and trim the phat, the same parasites continue to be in control, the same bubbles are getting pumped up again, and an even bigger crash is on the horizon that will be much worse as our government has run up 10 trillion dollars in additional debt in a very short period of time with no signs of stopping... huge amounts of bloat in the medical industry, and as already mentioned the military and just about every other government program.

Everything has to be so complex and difficult to understand, with paperwork that's inches thick just to get things done. How is it everything is so much more efficiently ran, from airlines to health care, in European nations? About time for funny money to stop propping up the system and time for a real crash?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:46 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,425,253 times
Still waiting on the OP to provide examples of "liberals" demanding "free healthcare".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies