Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2014, 10:08 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,111,393 times

Advertisements

Yeah, ok, wussies like the Duck Dynasty guys. Those guys have all the hair the metro sexuals shave off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 11:10 AM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Has anyone figured out what a "Hello Kittie" is ?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:15 AM

15,632 posts, read 10,390,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Has anyone figured out what a "Hello Kittie" is ?
From Wikipedia:

"Originally aimed at pre-adolescent females, Hello Kitty's market has broadened to include adult consumers. She can be found on a variety of products ranging from school supplies to fashion accessories and high-end consumer products.

Hello Kitty is originally Japanese, "Hello Kitty" refers to the group of related characters, while the main character herself is known as Kitty White. According to the official character profile, she was born on November 1. Her height is described as five apples and her weight as three apples.

She is portrayed as a bright and kind-hearted girl, very close to her twin sister Mimmy. She is good at baking cookies and loves Mama's homemade apple pie. She likes to collect cute things and her favorite subjects in school are English, music and art."

The cute cuddly white cat from Japan’s Sanrio Co., usually seen on toys and jewelry for girls and young women, is available in T-shirts, bags, watches and other products targeting young men. “We think Hello Kitty is accepted by young men as a design statement in fashion,” he said.

Google Hello Kitty for men and feast your eyes on the apparel!

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-03-2014 at 11:29 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 11:20 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
"Originally Posted by texwalker_ranger
John Wayne's real name was Marion, he repeatedly dodged
military service and for the better part of his life, he wore a
wig like your granny did to cover his bald head. Was he a "real man?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
He played a real man very well.

Interesting. Where is the post you responded to?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Well, after all the "soft" retorts to the Retrosexual post I can only conclude that there's a terrible dose of irony deficiency running rampant on C-D. Pity!

As for John Wayne, he was a neighbor of mine in my early years and well into my 20s when I wasn't somewhere else thanks to Uncle Sam. He was actually quite nice, down-to-earth and not at all full of himself in my experiences with him. He was also larger in life than on the screen. Not bad for a guy with only one lung. But he sure had a great boat, the Wild Goose.

Last edited by Curmudgeon; 01-03-2014 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 12:22 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee;

Undoubtedly being worn by hipsters.

I have never, ever, ever in my life come across guy wearing a Hello Kitty shirt non-ironically.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:10 PM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
First, I'm a woman.

Ok.

That settled. Yes, those are great qualities for any man to have but have nothing to do with actual tasks or skills.
That's the point Miss. Actual tasks and skills have NOTHING to do with being a "man". That was the point of my post. What a guy does for a living and the task skills he has do not go toward his status as a "man". Not at all. The respect a man gains from his peers on the job stem from his attitude first and his task skill a distant second.

I know guys who are damn good at what they do. In many different types of jobs. However, nobody wants to work with them or under them because they are not "men". They are arrogant, self absorbed, narcissistic, abusive parodies of men. Though they believe they are the epitome of what a man is, based solely on their own opinions.

They treat their women as second class underlings, project their shortcomings from their growing up time by reliving it, vicariously, through their children, and blame any mistakes they make on someone else. These are not the actions of a man, but, they know their stuff. Whoopdeedoo. What does skill at any particular task have to do with being a "man". Nothing. What does how a guy dresses and grooms himself have to do with being a "man". Nothing. The particular lifestyle a guy lives, the environment he lives in, the job he does and the skills he posesses at any particular task do not dictate his status as a man.

It's far more complicated than any of those simplistic and base things. While vetting body waxes, manicures, fashionable hairstyles and having an affinity for trendy clothing are not my cup of coffee, I won't judge a guy who indulges in such things as not being a man based on that alone. Could be that guy would be a good guy to have your back in a scrape, and can be counted on to do what needs doing. The book/cover cliche' is appropriate to mention here.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:16 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,101,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I guess if the OP wishes he or she may visit a prison, and so be delighted at the presence of so many 'real men'.
Sorry Hun... An inmate isn't a 'real man', he's a loser.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:18 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,570,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
From Wikipedia:

"Originally aimed at pre-adolescent females, Hello Kitty's market has broadened to include adult consumers. She can be found on a variety of products ranging from school supplies to fashion accessories and high-end consumer products.

Hello Kitty is originally Japanese, "Hello Kitty" refers to the group of related characters, while the main character herself is known as Kitty White. According to the official character profile, she was born on November 1. Her height is described as five apples and her weight as three apples.

She is portrayed as a bright and kind-hearted girl, very close to her twin sister Mimmy. She is good at baking cookies and loves Mama's homemade apple pie. She likes to collect cute things and her favorite subjects in school are English, music and art."

The cute cuddly white cat from Japan’s Sanrio Co., usually seen on toys and jewelry for girls and young women, is available in T-shirts, bags, watches and other products targeting young men. “We think Hello Kitty is accepted by young men as a design statement in fashion,” he said.

Thanks! I guess I should have googled it myself, but I thought it was a typo or insider knowledge.

Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 PM

21,475 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper03 View Post
Both genders are into a higher level of grooming than previous generations. Women in the 70s kept a lot of their body hair as well and now-a-days that is completely unacceptable. The men have just taken a while longer to catch up.
I think women shaving their legs and underarms is fine, even a little something down under (though that hair is there for protection against yeast infections and other things). But men shouldn't have to shave their legs and chests and privates. Yes, if you have back hair, by all means shave that stuff off, but don't do the other stuff. It just looks weird. When I was younger, only swimmers and body builders shaved, and they obviously did it to help them out in their particular sports/whatever. I like a man with a natural look myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies