Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 10:30 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Both of my daughters and my son could do all those things. They were also taught how to sew and crochet and iron their clothes, work with wood, plant a garden and tend it, bake bread and biscuits, cook a complete meal from scratch, and change air and oil filters and spark plugs. They spent most of our vacations tent camping, and by the time they all left home we had been to 41 states. All three prefer leatherman tools to pocketknives, however.

I always considered these things to be basic life skills that were neither male nor female.
So do I but it doesn't surprise me when I find children or young adults who have no clue about any of those things. Hell my son is in Boy Scouts and the parents of these boys don't know this stuff much less their kids. The dads are usually surfing on their iPhone the entire time we're out there teaching their sons how to become men.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 10:32 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Meh...my only complaint is that most American males are slobs.

I'm tired of seeing clowns walking into my favorite restaurants with backwards baseball caps and flip flops.

And the way some of my colleagues dress for work is shameful. You work in an office...for goodness sake, find some decent slacks or a nice pair of jeans (not that Wrangler crap) and put on some friggin' SHOES (not sneakers) to come to work in. And drop the t-shirts and go out and pick up some nice Polo shirts or a button down.

Americans are the biggest slobs on the planet.
The people crying about men on this thread probably think the slobs are real men.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:36 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,933,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Who cares.
Guess if you're not looking for a MAN then who would care! Can we say you thought the ACA boy was the typical look of young men these days......pj's and hot chocolate describes our young men

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
I wonder what a John Wayne masculine lifestyle of eating tons of red meat, drinking whiskey, and smoking cigs all day would get you. Oh wait that's right, stomach cancer.
He didn't die a young man, 72 is pretty good living. My step-dad lived the same lifestyle and lived to be 92. Your theory just went out the door!

Old 01-02-2014, 10:37 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
[quote=TheMoreYouKnow;32839658][quote=jmqueen;32839490]^^^ Meh. Not a "real man." Just shallow macho crap.

Quote:
Being able to take care of yourself and your family in an emergency situation is hardly macho shallow crap. Survival skills are fairly rare these days, they're quite important.
Meh. There are a million different emergencies, of which the one you're envisioning is only one. And, depending on where you live, a highly unlikely one at that.

Do you teach him to CPR and First Aid? Can he swim? Does he know how to use a computer for something besides video games? Can he use his brain as well as his brawn? If he were in NYC on 9-11, say, none of the things you just proudly described would help him one little bit...

Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,217,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
The people crying about men on this thread probably think the slobs are real men.
No not at all. A slob is a slob. No one likes a dirtbag male or female.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
There were woosie men back in the 70's - Phil Donahue and Alan Alda come to mind.

Come to think of it, I was an avid fan of "Little House on the Prairie", and I don't recall Michael Landon having any hair on his chest. There were so many episodes where "Pa" broke his ribs, I couldn't help noticing.
No way was Micheal Landon a pretty boy......

Old 01-02-2014, 10:39 AM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
[quote=jmqueen;32839843][quote=TheMoreYouKnow;32839658]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
^^^ Meh. Not a "real man." Just shallow macho crap.

Meh. There are a million different emergencies, of which the one you're envisioning is only one. And, depending on where you live, a highly unlikely one at that.

Do you teach him to CPR and First Aid? Can he swim? Does he know how to use a computer for something besides video games? Can he use his brain as well as his brawn? If he were in NYC on 9-11, say, none of the things you just proudly described would help him one little bit...
Have you read this thread or did you just jump in 5 pages in like normal?

Old 01-02-2014, 10:42 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
[quote=TheMoreYouKnow;32839883][quote=jmqueen;32839843]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post

Have you read this thread or did you just jump in 5 pages in like normal?
{Looks around to see where the poster is hiding in her office}

Of course I read the thread. You just don't like what I'm saying.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Guess if you're not looking for a MAN then who would care! Can we say you thought the ACA boy was the typical look of young men these days......pj's and hot chocolate describes our young men

He didn't die a young man, 72 is pretty good living. My step-dad lived the same lifestyle and lived to be 92. Your theory just went out the door!
LOL, the only people crying on about this are people in serious need of self-esteem.

Old 01-02-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
As far as the small tight clothes, that is a trend/fashion statement. As we know, trends come and go. I'm sure you have gone through trends and then one day you outgrew following the trend. And this trend will pass as others have.
Guess it did work for the Beatles!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies