Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
I love how all of their "refrences" to the announcement point back to the same article.

This article is a great exercise in seeing how many people will believe unrefrenced claims because they believe what the claim says.

People should really stop reading tabloids, it rots your brain worse than reality TV.
Well, we cannot rely on our federal government to give us the facts or the truth, now can we?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 09:32 AM

46,281 posts, read 27,099,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
In a closed equation.

Unfortunately for you, your math class didn't teach you that you couldn't conflate numbers from two different equations. Bad math.
Moving the goal post again, huh....

Have to spin somehow....lol....

Old 01-02-2014, 09:33 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
We lost our plan due to the implementation of the ACA. A new, similar plan would have cost us nearly triple what we were currently paying which is just not affordable. Even with subsidies we would pay more then what we had been paying. I cannot imagine that we are alone. People have tended to not believe me when I have told them this. They just cannot fathom that this whole things could go so wrong. It most certainly has for many, including myself and I have a feeling that this is just the tip of the iceberg, the worst is yet to come. People need to get out of denial and get real. This thing is a mess!
Sad tale, good luck to you. I believe you: the reflexive supporters of this hash will say anything to run you down and they will defend even the indefensible aspects of Obamacare.

Here's an article about a self-described "cheerleader" for Obamacare, who finds out she cannot afford to buy it. She does not know what she is going to do.

If you understand the law, you will know that there is one solution to her problem: she must simply get divorced. Oregon Mother: I Can’t Afford Obamacare For Myself, 1-Year-Old Son « CBS Seattle

Old 01-02-2014, 09:34 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
"Opponents of the Affordable Care Act claim that four to five million people will lose their health insurance coverage next year because of the law. They cite as evidence a report by the Associated Press that estimated that 4.7 million Americans have received or will receive notices cancelling their 2013 health insurance plans. The extrapolation from that report to the claim that millions will lack coverage next year rests on multiple erroneous premises:

• It ignores the efforts of insurance companies to re-sign individuals who received cancellation notices. Major insurance companies have indicated that they expect that the vast majority of the individuals to whom they sent notices will renew their 2013 coverage, be automatically enrolled in new coverage, or sign up for plans through the exchanges. As a result of Administration actions to allow additional 2013 policy renewals, half of the reported 4.7 million individuals who received cancellation notices have the option to renew their prior coverage.

• It assumes that no individuals who had private insurance will sign up for insurance through the new health exchanges or Medicaid. The Kaiser Family Foundation estimates that half of individuals with current individual market coverage are eligible for tax credits through the new marketplaces and that an additional one million are eligible for Medicaid. These individuals will receive better coverage at lower cost by enrolling through the exchanges or signing up for Medicaid, and many have done so.

• It overlooks the availability of low-cost catastrophic coverage. Individuals who received cancellation notices are eligible to apply for a hardship exemption and purchase catastrophic health plans typically offered only to individuals under thirty. These plans are widely available throughout the United States.

When these factors are taken into account, a much different picture emerges."[/i]

http://democrats.energycommerce.hous...2013-12-31.pdf

Much more good information at the link.
You'll fall for anything. The only good news in that info is that Obama changed the law to do away with a little of the damage Ocare caused.

Even if half of the 4.7 million [the 4.7 million is a low estimate because some states don't report the info and small business cancellations aren't included] eventually continued their prior policies, that leaves 2.35 million who didn't. More than the # who've signed up for Ocare so far.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
And they need to get these people on Obamacare to fund their pet project.
Even more will become uninsured as the years go by.
They projected this back in 2010 and published it in the Federal Register.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:35 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Reading is fundamental. The very line you bold says that at least half of them have the option to renew their prior coverage. Renewing your insurance is not losing your insurance.
...and "at least half" is still 2.3 million people.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:38 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,960,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Cancellations have exceeded enrollments. But who's surprised? Not me.

[/url]

I know when my policy expires, I'll be extending my middle finger to Healthcare, Insurance and Big Pharma and hope millions more do so as well.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Moving the goal post again, huh....

Have to spin somehow....lol....
Actually, the people conflating numbers are the ones moving the goal posts.

But since they are math-challenged, evidently, they probably don't understand that.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:39 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,872,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yes, and you are lacking reading skills...and comprehension skills, also...

What does "received cancellations notices" mean to you?

But, I will give you one thing, they do have the ability to renew...after they were canned...
Those 4.7 million are not uninsured because of the ACA, as the OP claims. The underlying "fact" that this thread is based on is a lie.

Old 01-02-2014, 09:40 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Sad tale, good luck to you. I believe you: the reflexive supporters of this hash will say anything to run you down and they will defend even the indefensible aspects of Obamacare.

Here's an article about a self-described "cheerleader" for Obamacare, who finds out she cannot afford to buy it. She does not know what she is going to do.

If you understand the law, you will know that there is one solution to her problem: she must simply get divorced. Oregon Mother: I Can’t Afford Obamacare For Myself, 1-Year-Old Son « CBS Seattle
Thanks. I think your use of the word cheerleader is very appropriate here. I feel like people treat Obama as if he was their favorite QB for their favorite Football team. He can do no wrong in their eyes. Even when a friend or family member tells them how Obamacare has negatively impacted them, they cannot hear it. It's bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies