Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 02:43 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,948,097 times

Advertisements

Unless you believe that "corporations are people" there's not a functional adult in the US that doesn't pay taxes of some sort.

But hey, rights are only for the landed gentry, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2014, 02:44 PM

182 posts, read 330,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
why do some people believe that renters magically escae paying property taxes? If that is the case, why not have a special tax just on rental property? You could cut homeowners' property taxes in half and it wouldn't cost renters anything.
Renters obvisously don't pay property taxes directly, but their rent is used for it. I don't pay Wal-Mart's property tax, but my purchases there do go towards it. You have to own property to pay property taxes.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:48 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,633,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
A lot people here think the rich don't pay enough tax even they are paying majority of the income tax. A lot people want to tax the rich even more and I see numbers as high as 90% tax rate being threw around.

So what are the social responsibilities of those who don't pay taxes? What are their contributions to the society? Obviously I am not talking about those disabled people, children or retired people.
That vast majority of that 47% that don't pay federal income taxes are disabled, children and retired people. The biggest portion of that group are retired people who paid taxes all their working lives and helped make our country the great nation it is today.

Of course you're not trying to say that MOST people who don't pay federal income taxes are deadbeats and leeches on the system, are you? That would be a gross distortion and a bare faced misrepresentation.

If you ever went to a polling station to cast a ballot, you'd note that the entire staff is mostly composed of old, retired people.
If you ever go to a tea party rally, you'd find that it's mostly old people getting YOUR message of broken government and lazy welfare cheats out to the rest of the political field.
If you ever go to a Veterans hospital you'd see all the information booths and aid stations manned by retired people.

Fact is, while our sons and daughters are out in the field making a living to raise our grandchildren, we're out doing all the community service work for free.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:50 PM

182 posts, read 330,592 times
Quote:
How is it fair that I pay a million in taxes and you pay zip but somehow your vote is the same as mine?
How is it fair that someone inherits wealth and doesn't work? How is it fair that someone is born into a familiy that loves, supports, and educates them when other are born orphans? How is it fair that my parents were home at night to take care of me while other children's parents had to go work a second job?

If one has enough money to pay a million in taxes, they really shouldn't be complaining about what is fair.

To answer your question: 14th Amendment,

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:24 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,509,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke64 View Post
How is it fair that someone inherits wealth and doesn't work? How is it fair that someone is born into a familiy that loves, supports, and educates them when other are born orphans? How is it fair that my parents were home at night to take care of me while other children's parents had to go work a second job?

If one has enough money to pay a million in taxes, they really shouldn't be complaining about what is fair.

To answer your question: 14th Amendment,

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
So what if they don't work? Their inheritance is generating a tremendous amount of tax for the government and for the society. Their contribution to the wealth of the nation is great. Their taxes and employment pay for a lot of services this government provides.

What are the contributions from those who don't pay taxes?

Old 01-02-2014, 05:57 PM

Quote:
So what if they don't work? Their inheritance is generating a tremendous amount of tax for the government and for the society. Their contribution to the wealth of the nation is great. Their taxes and employment pay for a lot of services this government provides.

What are the contributions from those who don't pay taxes?
Obviously you don't read your own threads. I just explained the contributions made by the vast majority of those who don't pay Federal income taxes in the post above the one you replied to. But you really don't want to confront facts. You just want to get your agenda of demonizing a large section of the nation. I would love a rational answer to the examples I just sited in my other post aimed directly at YOU.

Unless someone lives in total isolation, everyone pays some sort of taxes, so I suggest you state "Federal Taxes" not just generic taxes.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:59 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,297,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Obviously you don't read your own threads. I just explained the contributions made by the vast majority of those who don't pay Federal income taxes in the post above the one you replied to. But you really don't want to confront facts. You just want to get your agenda of demonizing a large section of the nation. I would love a rational answer to the examples I just sited in my other post aimed directly at YOU.

Unless someone lives in total isolation, everyone pays some sort of taxes, so I suggest you state "Federal Taxes" not just generic taxes.
You must be new here, logic and reason rarely has any place here. That being said, its nice to see you!

Old 01-03-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:

If I understand you right, as long as a person pays some sort of taxes, regardless how much or in what form, he or she has fulfilled their social responsibilities. In that sense, what's the reasons to force the rich to pay more?

Old 01-03-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
If I understand you right, as long as a person pays some sort of taxes, regardless how much or in what form, he or she has fulfilled their social responsibilities. In that sense, what's the reasons to force the rich to pay more?
Because ever since the taxes were collected by the federal government, it has been a progressive tax, not a flat tax. That's how first world countries do it. You make more, you pay more to fulfill your social contract to the nation. I know it's the right wing conservative who wants to deny that they have any social compact with our society and their logical escape is to point the finger at those who have nothing and thereby justify paying little or nothing.

Also, the retired elderly, meaning your mom or grandma depending on your age, already paid taxes all their working life. Yet they still pay sales tax, property tax, vehicle registration tax, communication tax, city sewage surcharge, etc, etc, etc. That is what I meant by "other taxes".

Look, lifeexplorer, I read your posts and I know wherein you are coming from politically.
If you want to attempt to portray all that 47% and young, mostly minorities, as leaches and deadbeats who are ripping off the system and not paying their fair share, then just come out and say so. Don't tip toe around your agenda. Stand up and shout it out to the world. But you can't and you won't because if you did, the very next post would post facts and links that prove the total falsehood of that premise.

My job is to take scrambled logic and season it with the actual facts of the matter so the most gullible will not step in the horse manure being spread by the RWcon in their garden of deceit and distortion.

Old 01-03-2014, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Because ever since the taxes were collected by the federal government, it has been a progressive tax, not a flat tax. That's how first world countries do it. You make more, you pay more to fulfill your social contract to the nation. I know it's the right wing conservative who wants to deny that they have any social compact with our society and their logical escape is to point the finger at those who have nothing and thereby justify paying little or nothing.

Also, the retired elderly, meaning your mom or grandma depending on your age, already paid taxes all their working life. Yet they still pay sales tax, property tax, vehicle registration tax, communication tax, city sewage surcharge, etc, etc, etc. That is what I meant by "other taxes".

Look, lifeexplorer, I read your posts and I know wherein you are coming from politically.
If you want to attempt to portray all that 47% and young, mostly minorities, as leaches and deadbeats who are ripping off the system and not paying their fair share, then just come out and say so. Don't tip toe around your agenda. Stand up and shout it out to the world. But you can't and you won't because if you did, the very next post would post facts and links that prove the total falsehood of that premise.

My job is to take scrambled logic and season it with the actual facts of the matter so the most gullible will not step in the horse manure being spread by the RWcon in their garden of deceit and distortion.

Precisely the point! What's in this "social contract"? How is it being fulfilled by those who don't pay tax?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies