Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 07:44 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Obviously you never read the US Constitution.

Congress determines its own members, and there is no provision for any State to recall any Congress critter once they have been accepted as a member of Congress. See Article I, Section 5, Clause 1 of the US Constitution.
"Each House shall be the judge of the elections, returns and qualifications of its own members, and a majority of each shall constitute a quorum to do business; but a smaller number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the attendance of absent members, in such manner, and under such penalties as each House may provide."
I understand very well how the system worked before the ratification of the Seventeenth Amendment, and it was extremely corrupt. Governors were either giving Senate seats to those who got them elected, or they were selling Senate seats to the highest bidder. In either case, the people had absolutely no say in their Senator, and the State legislatures did not give a damn if the State was being represented or not.

Once appointed and confirmed, they stayed a Senator for life, unless the Senator really screws up. Then at the end of their six-year term, any only then, can a Governor appoint a different Senator. No Senator has ever been recalled, and none ever can be recalled. That is sheer fantasy on your part.

Citizens will have absolutely no control over their Senators with the repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment, but I do not consider that a bad thing. A good argument can be made that the Senate is just as corrupt, or more, now using the popular vote as they were before the Seventeenth Amendment existed.

Pretending that everything will be right with the world once the Seventeenth Amendment is repealed is incredibly stupid and shortsighted, not to mention it completely ignores history and why the Seventeenth Amendment was ratified by three-fourths of the State legislatures in the first place.

So far all you have succeeded in accomplishing is to demonstrate that you have never read the US Constitution. If you had, you would know that Congress critters cannot be recalled, ever.
Obviously you do not.

Article I, section 3, "The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote."

It does not say they will be appointed by the Governor, nor does it say they will serve for life.
Now the States may re-elect a Senator if they feel he is working in the best interest of the State, but there is no requirement to do so.
Furthermore since the State Legislatures are continually changing members due to regular elections any suggestion that there is some kind of conspiracy to keep Senators in office for life is ludicrous.
Your entire argument is a pathetic straw man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 08:03 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Obviously you do not.

Article I, section 3, "The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each state, chosen by the legislature thereof for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote."

It does not say they will be appointed by the Governor, nor does it say they will serve for life.
Now the States may re-elect a Senator if they feel he is working in the best interest of the State, but there is no requirement to do so.
Furthermore since the State Legislatures are continually changing members due to regular elections any suggestion that there is some kind of conspiracy to keep Senators in office for life is ludicrous.
Your entire argument is a pathetic straw man.
Well, it is very obvious that you are utterly clueless. Undoubtedly you believe Senate candidates merely popped into existence out of thin air by magic for the State legislatures to vote on them.

There can be no rational discussion with any uninformed and totally insane moron who believes the world will become a corrupt-free panacea once the Seventeenth Amendment is repealed.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Well, it is very obvious that you are utterly clueless. Undoubtedly you believe Senate candidates merely popped into existence out of thin air by magic for the State legislatures to vote on them.

There can be no rational discussion with any uninformed and totally insane moron who believes the world will become a corrupt-free panacea once the Seventeenth Amendment is repealed.
Your capitulation is accepted with the same respect as it was offered. You may now go watch Judge Judy.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Your capitulation is accepted with the same respect as it was offered. You may now go watch Judge Judy.
Actually, I should be thanking you. You, more than any other poster, has confirmed my worst suspicions. I was on the borderline on whether to support the repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment or not, but your posts have absolutely convinced me that I never want to be on the same side as the truly ignorant and insane.

Thanks entirely to your posts, I will confidently rally against any idea of repealing the Seventeenth Amendment. So thank you for setting me straight.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Actually, I should be thanking you. You, more than any other poster, has confirmed my worst suspicions. I was on the borderline on whether to support the repeal of the Seventeenth Amendment or not, but your posts have absolutely convinced me that I never want to be on the same side as the truly ignorant and insane.

Thanks entirely to your posts, I will confidently rally against any idea of repealing the Seventeenth Amendment. So thank you for setting me straight.
Your credibility leaves an enormous amount to be desired.
Perhaps one day you will gain both wisdom and honesty.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
More steam is building in the Western States..

Old 01-21-2014, 01:32 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
More steam is building in the Western States..
Great news! Any tangible dates set yet?

Old 03-23-2014, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Great news! Any tangible dates set yet?
Georgia Becomes First State in History to Pass the Convention of States Application | Convention of States

Old 03-23-2014, 06:45 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,588,006 times
Quote:
There was a very good reason why the founding fathers kept all social programs out of the federal government. It was not until 1934, 145 years after the US Constitution was ratified, that Democrats created the first federal social program. In the next 80 years since 1934 Democrats have continually piled on more and more federal social programs. Until we ended up with 79 federal means-tested social programs costing taxpayers $927 billion per year, and increasing at fives times the rate of inflation. That does not include Social Security, since it is not means tested, which is 34% of the federal budget all by itself. Clearly the Democrats have put the US on a path exactly like Greece, and that needs to end.

The States is where all social programs belong. Every State in the Union has a law that prohibits their Governors from enacting a budget that does not match projected revenues. Which has kept State social programs in check for the most part, you still have Democrat strongholds like New York, California, and Michigan that continue to practice fiscal suicide.

The only way we are ever going to get federal spending under control is by returning to the States the social programs the Democrats have usurped from the States.

Every federal social program needs to be abolished and returned to the States, including Social Security (assuming the States want to keep the Democrat created ponzi scheme). That alone will cut federal spending by more than 60%. It will also reduce federal taxes by a corresponding amount. However, State taxes will also correspondingly increase to cover the costs.

From a taxpayer's perspective, it will be a wash. Instead of paying taxes to the federal government, we will be paying similar taxes to the State government instead. Naturally, each State will decide which social programs they wish to keep, or modify, or disregard, as they see fit. Those who do not like the social programs in their State, or consider the State taxes to be too high, are free to move to any other State.

From a fiscal perspective it will make the US solvent and fiscally responsible. Sure, there will continue to be Democrat strongholds that practice fiscal insanity, but they will be a small minority of States rather than the entire federal government.
I like this post!

Old 03-28-2014, 11:03 PM

Utah and other states are looking into this, one down 33 left to go..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies