Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 08:45 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times

Advertisements

People are getting turned away from hospitals because their new Obamacare insurance can't be confirmed. Sebelius claimed people would now have "health security" when they are getting the opposite. Note that one of these women said she had her own private insurance that was canceled in Nov. So she lost her insurance, most likely due to Obamacare regulations, and now can't get care under her Obamacare plan.

Quote:
Hospital staff in Northern Virginia are turning away sick people on a frigid Thursday morning because they can't determine whether their Obamacare insurance plans are in effect.

'I had chest pains last night, and they took me in the emergency room,' Mary said. 'They told me they were going to admit me, but when I told them I hadn't heard from my insurance company since I signed up, they changed their tune.'
She told MailOnline that a nurse advised her that her bill would go up by at least $3,000 if she were admitted for a day, and her doctor told her the decision was up to her.

'Should I be in the hospital? Probably,' she said. 'Maybe it's one of those borderline cases. I have to think that if I were really in danger, they wouldn't give me the choice. But what if I think I'm covered and I'm really not?
'The emergency room bill is going to be bad enough.'
And another story:
Quote:
In place of quick service and painless billing, these Virginians are now facing the threat of sticker-shock that comes with bills they can't afford.
'They had no idea if my insurance was active or not!' a coughing Maria Galvez told MailOnline outside the Inova Healthplex facility in the town of Springfield.
She was leaving the building without getting a needed chest x-ray.

'The people in there told me that since I didn't have an insurance card, I would be billed for the whole cost of the x-ray,' Galvez said, her young daughter in tow. 'It's not fair – you know, I signed up last week like I was supposed to.'

The x-ray's cost, she was told, would likely be more than $500.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2532869/They-no-idea-insurance-active-not-At-Virginia-hospitals-Obamacare-confusion-reigns-frustrated-patients-walk-out.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2014, 08:47 AM

44,258 posts, read 64,365,577 times
So, really, people are CHOOSING TO LEAVE rather than face the uncertainty of the bill.

Doesn't sound like much of an emergency.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:48 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
Yuuup. It's all a scam. A scam for the government to get more info on us.

Old 01-03-2014, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
So, really, people are CHOOSING TO LEAVE rather than face the uncertainty of the bill.

If the chest pain lady dies of a heart attack or the other lady dies of pneumonia, and they didn't have insurance, they would be counted as people who died because they didn't have insurance to get proper treatment.

If the same happens now, they will have died because of lack of coverage due to Obamacare being so screwed up. The doctors were going to admit the chest pain lady, but she was afraid that insurance wouldn't cover the bill since they couldn't locate her insurance. She had private insurance before that she trusted.
Obamacare has taken away her 'health security.'

Old 01-03-2014, 09:14 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post

No, they're leaving because they face the reality that they may go bankrupt in paying for a procedure that they thought would be covered by insurance.

But WAIT!!!! Isn't that what the law was supposed to stop?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:15 AM

4,130 posts, read 4,461,152 times
Complete BS, emergency departments are required to treat you reguardless of your ability to pay or coverage. It has been that way since the 1980's when Reagan signed it into law. They will not change treatment without coverage, if you need to be admitted there's a really good damn reason you will be. There is certainly no way a nurse would tell some one what their bill is before treatment...because they don't know what that treatment will be.

I am shocked so many people lap this up. Some people really have no idea how the health care system even remotely works.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:17 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
They should take the treatment, and if they find out they are not covered by Obamacare, sent the bill to Obama for the mess up.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:33 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
If the chest pain lady dies of a heart attack or the other lady dies of pneumonia, and they didn't have insurance, they would be counted as people who died because they didn't have insurance to get proper treatment.

If the same happens now, they will have died because of lack of coverage due to Obamacare being so screwed up. The doctors were going to admit the chest pain lady, but she was afraid that insurance wouldn't cover the bill since they couldn't locate her insurance. She had private insurance before that she trusted.
Obamacare has taken away her 'health security.'
Oh wait; you mean this NEVER happened before the ACA?

What I'm reading here is the hospital was unable to verify insurance coverage; I'm not reading anything that makes this situation unique to the ACA.

Prior to the ACA no one ever got turned away from a hospital if insurance was unable to be verified or a pre-treatment approval granted? Really?

How come there was no great rush to publish these happenstances prior to the ACA and are you so foolish as to believe the salient point being an inability for the hospital in question to verify payment method NEVER happening prior to the ACA.

Where was your concern for all those people dying for lack of verified coverage in the past or do you rather naively actually believe it just never happened before.

Fact is; RWNJ Faux News and it's ilk are now jumping on these occurrences, whereas in the past it did not suit their ownership agenda to report them happening.

Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
Complete BS, emergency departments are required to treat you reguardless of your ability to pay or coverage. It has been that way since the 1980's when Reagan signed it into law. They will not change treatment without coverage, if you need to be admitted there's a really good damn reason you will be. There is certainly no way a nurse would tell some one what their bill is before treatment...because they don't know what that treatment will be.
Well the actual facts regarding EMTLA are:

Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Participating hospitals are required to "stabilize" an emergency life threatening situation after which, you'll find your azz out in the parking lot along with all of the others without a verified payment method.

They don't cover someone showing up in the throes of birthing. They do not cover someone suffering pain fo a tooth abcess or they will boot you if you are already in the hospital undergoing treatment for something else and DEVELOPE one of the conditions described in the EMTLA act but have no payment protocol established.

"Some people really have no idea how the health care system even remotely works". You got that part correct at least.

Last edited by BruSan; 01-03-2014 at 09:49 AM..

Old 01-03-2014, 09:41 AM

Foolish are the people who believed that the government would solve all the health care problems with thousands of pages of rules and a half a billion dollar non-working website.

As 2014 starts, we now a bigger healthcare mess than we did before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies