Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 09:35 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,764,345 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by statisticsnerd View Post
Excuse me while I puke.
Those stats aren't real. No doubt pushed by FRC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 09:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,573,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Gay men have much more sex partners than any other groups.

However in some parts of the world, drugs are the main cause.
We do? I'm 36 and I've been with 3 guys. Last one was over 5 years ago. And I'm not ugly. Its by choice and turning down multiple offers from men and women.

Old 01-05-2014, 10:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,796,855 times
I have never heard of any cure for HIV or AIDS announced by any authority like CDC.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:41 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,267,165 times
its not a medicine, it was an experiment to tranplant bone marrow (you know, the part of the bone that actually produced red blood cells) into infected men.

It seemed to work, but now its shown that the men are back on their anti-hiv / aids medicine.

We don't know the full story (did they re-infect, did it work for a short time?) etc.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
Whatever the promiscuity rate is among gay males the best tool to lower that is the same tool used to reduce promiscuity among heterosexuals: marriage.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:01 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,691,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Actually, heterosexual AIDS is pretty rare.
Depends on geography.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:35 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Seriously, do you really believe sexually active gay men have only 3~4 partners in a year? I don't.
I am not convinced.

The average seems to be low because some gay men do not have sex at all (just like some straight men). But they are irrelevant when we talk about AIDS etc.

A friend of mine who went through a promiscuous stage between long term gay relationships told me this story:

He was at the local gay and lesbian center, getting a routine HIV screening. The tester was asking basic questions about his orientation (they don't just test gays there, straight as well), and # of partners he had over the past year.

My friend told the evaluator that he had ten partners in the past year. (Partners being any kind of sexual contact). The tester informed him that was considered a high number of partners based on what is normally reported to him.

So this tester, who deals with sexually active gay people all day, is telling someone TEN partners per year is a high number based on what he's seeing in the community. I think I trust HIM over YOUR beliefs, or the results of a pre-AIDs, sexual revolution era study.

1000 over a lifetime would be sex club every week kinda stuff that the majority of people do NOT engage in!

Old 01-06-2014, 07:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,385,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Whatever the promiscuity rate is among gay males the best tool to lower that is the same tool used to reduce promiscuity among heterosexuals: marriage.
Exactly.

Yet usually the ones who rail against gays and the "gay lifestyle" on one hand usually also rail against "gay marriage!"

Old 01-06-2014, 09:02 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,875,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Exactly.

Yet usually the ones who rail against gays and the "gay lifestyle" on one hand usually also rail against "gay marriage!"
Yes, makes no sense.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:26 AM

29,209 posts, read 22,333,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Add diabetes and other immunological diseases to that list. Scientist's are trying to learn how to turn "on" and "off" cells and if they can ever find that perfect combo of proteins... I'm not a smart woman... but I'm proud that my son tells me about his work in a somewhat dumbed down way so mom can understand...
Yup. I believe schizophrenia may be a time-bomb virus similar to AIDS. I also believe some forms of arthritis may also come from a virus. As we learn more about the human genome, I believe there are many diseases that, due to genetics, some people are more prone to catching while most of us are born with, or develop, natural resistance that prevents us from getting them.

All of us live in a constant cloud of microbes from the day we're born to the day we die. Bacteria often finds a way to resist antibiotics, and viruses mutate. Both are a means of perpetuating the species, nature's first rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies