Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should they?
White Hispanics YES, Near Easterners NO. 2 3.64%
White Hispanics NO, Near Easterners YES. 1 1.82%
Both YES. 4 7.27%
Both NO. 48 87.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 01:15 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,941,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
I think she means she didn't get a job that she applied for because a less qualified AA person was chosen instead.
You can't lose what you never had.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:18 PM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,006 times
Merit based is the only thing US society should be.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:22 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Yeah. I'm sure you had access to someone else's resume, application and confidential test records through the Human Resources department of a company you don't even work for.
If we don't give people the benefit of the doubt when sharing stories from their own life then effectively none of us can share personal experiences here (this message board) which would make it markedly less interesting and informative.

Beyond that meta comment:

If you doubt that affirmative action beneficiaries are getting jobs, promotions, contracts, school slots, etc. over more qualified non-beneficiaries, then you're effectively saying the program isn't doing anything, so why object to people who want to abolish it? If it's not effective in causing racial discrimination it's not doing anything so why not let those people who do think it's causing racial discrimination advocate for its abolishment for the sake of avoiding the appearance of impropriety if nothing else?

Last edited by ALackOfCreativity; 01-05-2014 at 02:39 PM..

Old 01-05-2014, 01:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
is unfair to me that a white Cuban or a Lebanese can get affirmative action in the US as a "nonwhite" or "minority" when I, who look similar to both, could not.

Or how a Brazilian of Italian and Portuguese descent in the US gets the benefits of being a minority, but me with a similar background in the US is just "white" and could get passed over in the college admissions process by a blonde, blue eyed Argentine.

I have yet to see how a white Cuban or Argentine, or a Lebanese Christian in the US is "oppressed" in any way.
Of course they shoudn't but the hispanics most certainly do. Filthy rich and lily white hispanics often get in on generous scholarship money simply for being hispanic.

Blacks are the only ones that are descended from slaves and had to endure Jim Crow laws, all those pouring over the border now of course don't deserve affirmative action. Maybe they should even consider going back home and reforming their own cultures.

Old 01-05-2014, 01:44 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
No one should get AA. its offensive and its wrong.
At least black Americans have a somewhat valid argument for it, none of these others who are cashing in on affirmative action deserve it -- people fresh over the border or fresh off the boat never faced instititutionalized racism in this country.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:10 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Of course they shoudn't but the hispanics most certainly do. Filthy rich and lily white hispanics often get in on generous scholarship money simply for being hispanic.
And I don't know why having a Spanish last name makes you special and automatically a minority, when the Spanish are as white as any other European, and white Hispanics are not oppressed in the US. I know lilly white, racist Cubans who are white all their lives until they can cash in on being a minority, while I (who look more likely to be confused for something "oppressed") cannot because my family is from Europe directly.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:33 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Blacks are the only ones that are descended from slaves and had to endure Jim Crow laws, all those pouring over the border now of course don't deserve affirmative action. Maybe they should even consider going back home and reforming their own cultures.
Jim Crow in the West was directed against Asians

Old 01-05-2014, 02:34 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,597,011 times
Roma should get AA, as the most persecuted group in the history of the planet and the only group which it is still legal to discriminate against in the US.

Old 01-05-2014, 02:39 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,755,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virulentpeach View Post
is unfair to me that a white Cuban or a Lebanese can get affirmative action in the US as a "nonwhite" or "minority" when I, who look similar to both, could not.

Or how a Brazilian of Italian and Portuguese descent in the US gets the benefits of being a minority, but me with a similar background in the US is just "white" and could get passed over in the college admissions process by a blonde, blue eyed Argentine.

I have yet to see how a white Cuban or Argentine, or a Lebanese Christian in the US is "oppressed" in any way.
When you date a girl (or boy), your being white is a huge advantage in this country.

Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM

62,933 posts, read 29,126,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
You can't lose what you never had.
So, she used the word "lost". Do you really want to nit-pick? You know what she meant. I even explained it to you myself. A job was given to someone who was less qualified than her just because they were an AA beneficiary. Do you get it now? Of course you always did anyway. Anything to deflect away from that fact though, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies