Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2014, 07:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,167,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
That is a good reason.

Now on a per-mile cost, how does the fix stack up compared to average?
I don't know, how much is the average cost to run a new highway and replace a seawall through an urban area that is also extremely hilly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2014, 07:05 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,415,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I don't know, how much is the average cost to run a new highway and replace a seawall through an urban area that is also extremely hilly.
Guess it depends on how many 8" steel pipes they run into...

Old 01-05-2014, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
Guess it depends on how many 8" steel pipes they run into...
Ok.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:51 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
There were three options here: retrofitting the existing viaduct, replacing it, or building a tunnel. I was never really opposed to the tunnel. It was always the most elegant solution. But I would not have voted for it had I been a Seattle resident (which I'm not) due to worries that the city fathers and WSDOT would turn it into a Big Dig. Looks like my worries were well placed.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There were three options here: retrofitting the existing viaduct, replacing it, or building a tunnel. I was never really opposed to the tunnel. It was always the most elegant solution. But I would not have voted for it had I been a Seattle resident (which I'm not) due to worries that the city fathers and WSDOT would turn it into a Big Dig. Looks like my worries were well placed.
You do realize that there wasn't much difference in price between the three options and all three options included needing to do a seawall and the tunnel was the one that combined the two into one.

As for this being another "big dig" I highly doubt that, but you would be naive if you thought any option would have been cheap.

Also, I am not surprised you aren't a Seattle resident, you never sounded like you were...my guess is you could count on one hand the amount of times you have been to Seattle this past year, which seems to be the case from suburbanites that tend to be the noisiest complainers about the city.

Old 01-05-2014, 11:44 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,292 times
As usual Govt cant get out of its own way

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
As usual Govt cant get out of its own way
Because they found a small pipe while digging?

Old 01-06-2014, 07:45 AM

28,890 posts, read 30,257,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Bertha’s nemesis: 119-foot steel pipe | Local News | The Seattle Times

Seattle is in the process of a big dig, drilling a tunnel to replace the old viaduct that runs from north of downtown to south of downtown. So far it has been problematic; according to Seattle Times columnist Ron Judd, a NW slug would have lapped progress of the tunnel.
Let's all inch along together | Ron Judd | The Seattle Times

But several weeks ago, progress came to an absolute halt as the high-tech drill was stymied by a 'mystery object.' It turns out that it was a pipe, put in place by (drum roll) the WSDOT several years ago for one of their multitudinous 'studies.' The news was released by WSDOT on Friday afternoon, in time-honored gov't PR fashion. And the normal PR spokesperson was unavailable, and a stutterer was anointed to deliver the news.

This comes in the wake of a clusterf*** re our other major infrastructure project, the new 520 floating bridge. The new bridge was already about 18 times the cost of the original bridge built in 1963, and is running into major cost overruns.
Investigation uncovers widespread leaks on new 520 pontoons | Local & Regional | Seattle News, Weather, Sports, Breaking News | KOMO News

Blue state blues.
#1. People in this country, no longer know how to run businesses/government, they don't know what they are doing, and do not have the qualifications to do it. I know it is difficult for some people to comprehend, but a whole lot of people who you vote in, to run things, do not know what they are doing...we no longer have experienced qualified people. And then when they do a bad job, we don't fire them....we ask them to resign, and give them pay and benifits to boot?

#2. I don't believe anyone is aware of the fact, that there are lines and pipes under ground, that no one knows about, b/c they were put there so many years ago. I used to work construction, and when companies start digging, they are given a map with shows, exactly what lines are where, and if they are not on the map, then whose fault would it be. There are gas lines, and water lines underground that no one knows about, period, and our infostructure is falling apart in this country. That is why Philly has so so so many water lines breaking.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,765,227 times
Somewhat sarcastically I wonder if the Big Dig contractor called a company called DIG SAFE first to mark out all the underground lines. We do it around here.

I worked in Boston for the entire time they were building the BIG DIG that replaced a completely inadequate overhead road with a huge tunnel built in horrible conditions. I watched crews chew down the steel structure and replace it with a shallow cut and cover tunnel. This structure carries far more traffic safely than the original and has, by opening up the harbor front part of the city made downtown much more appealing. The project went wildly over initial cost expectations because the conditions were mostly "what you find is what you get". Another major benefit was the project kept the construction industry in eastern New England alive for 20 years and did not involve sending any of our soldiers to die in far off lands to protect petroleum owners profits.

As far a leaking pontoons for the floating bridge is concerned, what do you expect from the lowest bidder? Quality?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:05 AM

23,539 posts, read 17,214,216 times
Ah grasshoppa, 'you have to start digging to see what is down there".... oh we used that one as a rationale to pass obamacare legislation.

Chris Christie was confronted with the same cost overruns and stoipped a tunnel to save tons of taxpayer money. Give CC a call.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies