Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support same-sex marriage?
Yes, Democrat 62 29.11%
No, Democrat 4 1.88%
Yes, Republican 19 8.92%
No, Republican 26 12.21%
Yes, Independent/ 3rd Party 67 31.46%
No, Independent/ 3rd Party 35 16.43%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 05:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
You had to buy that marriage license for one reason only, to get the 1049 federal rights and the rights granted by the state, but you or anyone can have their church wedding without the license, just no rights. So, it is the government that controls marriage and the rights granted, not the church or any church. So if you were really for keeping government out of marriage, why did you get a marriage license?

No, to legally change my wifes name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 05:39 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
The state and government is overriding the natural laws God created for mankind. God created Eve for Adam . God also said. It is good to have ONE wife.

The word marriage is also God given.
The religious forum is that way.>>>>>>>>>
We are discussing legal civil marriage, your god has no say in it.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:42 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txdave35 View Post
Totally agree. Maybe it would be different if gays faced the same past struggle as other discriminated groups where they have absolutely no alternative and no one would service their wedding.

But in this day and age, a gay couple should have no problem finding a bakery or photographer willing to do business with them. How about they should a little tolerance instead of demanding people disregard their religious beliefs?
Tell me why it is okay to discriminate against gay people, but not against black people or Asians or any ethnic group? Contrary to what every bigot says, no gay person chooses to be gay, same as straight people do not choose to be straight and any person who wants to use their religion to deny anyone service is subject to the laws that forbid discrimination. Having a religious belief is not a get out of jail free card that allows them to choose who to discriminate against. Do not want to do business with the PUBLIC then do not open a business to the public, PERIOD. Tolerance is a two way street and if some christians do not want to tolerate gay people and feel the need to deny them service, then who is really being intolerant?

Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And here I thought republicans were all about small government, the constitution, and personal freedom.
Yeah, their personal freedoms only, support for their beliefs only, their way only, their rights only and their religion only. It is totally against the way this government proceeds in it want to provide equality to all of the people.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:46 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,954,468 times
There should be an option for "I care about important issues."

Old 01-06-2014, 05:48 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Nope. You can legally change your name without a marriage license.

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
It is very stupid to let the gay marriage issue play such a big role in American politics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
But you did get married legally? You know that anyone can go to an attorney and have their name changed legally? Is that what you did? Or did you go for the 1049 brass rings the government offers? I am really interested.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:55 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,309,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Well it isn't involved in religious marriage. You don't need a legal document to get married in your religion. I am sure your pastor could print a marriage certificate for you, it will just have no legal standing when it comes to the law.

My marriage license said nothing about what religion I was getting married in, nor did we get married in a church or by a religious pastor of any kind.
For it to be a legal marriage you still need to go to the local courthouse and get a license regardless of who marries you.

Old 01-06-2014, 05:57 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
It is very stupid to let the gay marriage issue play such a big role in American politics.
In that case, how about we quickly legalize it nationwide so that it will stop having such a big role in American politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies