Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the legalization of Marijuana
Yes, Democrat 21 23.33%
No, Democrat 1 1.11%
Yes, Republican 12 13.33%
No, Republican 6 6.67%
Yes, Independent/ 3rd Party 44 48.89%
No, Independent/ 3rd Party 6 6.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 03:42 PM

n/a posts

Advertisements

I think the State has an obligation to speak out against harm. Weed is harmful. Ergo, no, I don't support it.
Same with alcohol. It shouldn't be legal or illegal. The State should say "Drugs are bad...but do what you want."
It shouldn't be a State issue...to lock people up for.

And now, the real story begins.

All those sentenced to marijuana related crimes in the two states that have legalized it...what's their fate? Jailed for something people on the outside can now do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 04:00 PM

742 posts, read 678,447 times
The war on drugs has failed. It is very harmful overall. It's about time these states have come to a head in doing the right thing.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:24 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,321,638 times
How can we be sure that our pilot, taxi, teachers, babysitters, etc. aren't high while on the job?

Old 01-07-2014, 06:30 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Pot is a gateway drug to other illegal drugs. Let's just make heroin and meth legal and get it over with.

Old 01-07-2014, 06:37 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Pot is a gateway drug to other illegal drugs. Let's just make heroin and meth legal and get it over with.

<COUGH COUGH> Bulls*** <COUGH COUGH> That theory has been debunked several times.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:20 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
How can we be sure that our pilot, taxi, teachers, babysitters, etc. aren't high while on the job?
How can we be sure now?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by truthseeking View Post
The war on drugs has failed. It is very harmful overall. It's about time these states have come to a head in doing the right thing.
Whether you approve of legalizing drugs or pot particularly is one thing, but why do you say the war on drugs is very harmful. To me, that makes little sense.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:51 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post

how do you know they are not pumped up on pharma opiates when they show up to work,, at least weed has a strong smell, where as prescription pain pills have none at all...

Old 01-07-2014, 09:07 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,732,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Whether you approve of legalizing drugs or pot particularly is one thing, but why do you say the war on drugs is very harmful. To me, that makes little sense.
It has failed to eliminate the use of harmful drugs. The demand for all of the illegal drugs had not decreased. It has created powerful criminal organizations in Latin America, inside the USA and elsewhere who have become increasingly sophisticated and brutal in their methods of delivering the drugs to meet the demand. Cartels and gangs have become so powerful that they are a threat to governments all over the world. The murder rate in the USA, the Caribbean and Latin America are much much higher on average because of the drug trade.

Personally, I'm against people using marijuana, cocaine, heroine, crack, crystal meth, etc. I also think we could do with less tobacco and alcohol consumption. I don't use any illegal drugs and I won't start using if they are legalized. I stand to gain nothing personally if drugs are legalized. But I see a repeat of the Prohibition era. The negatives of both Prohibition and Prohibition II vastly outweigh the positives.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:57 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,931,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
It has failed to eliminate the use of harmful drugs. The demand for all of the illegal drugs had not decreased. It has created powerful criminal organizations in Latin America, inside the USA and elsewhere who have become increasingly sophisticated and brutal in their methods of delivering the drugs to meet the demand. Cartels and gangs have become so powerful that they are a threat to governments all over the world. The murder rate in the USA, the Caribbean and Latin America are much much higher on average because of the drug trade.

Personally, I'm against people using marijuana, cocaine, heroine, crack, crystal meth, etc. I also think we could do with less tobacco and alcohol consumption. I don't use any illegal drugs and I won't start using if they are legalized. I stand to gain nothing personally if drugs are legalized. But I see a repeat of the Prohibition era. The negatives of both Prohibition and Prohibition II vastly outweigh the positives.
Exactly! Why can't some people understand that prohibition instantly creates black markets and underground economies that correlate to the supply and demand just like any other economy? We even had a live case study when alcohol was outlawed during the era of Al Capone and all the organized crime that was born and thrived because of its illegality.

If Governments would leave people to determine their own choices and live their own lives we would not have massive violence, gangs and cartels throughout Mexico and South America. Perhaps many black communities in the US wouldn't be in shambles with more black men in jail today than there were slaves in 1850.

When an underground economy is sophisticated and intertwined enough to be using submarines to transport their product, I think it is time to give up trying to keep it illegal.

New, Improved Cocaine Submarines | Photos - ABC News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies