Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2014, 09:14 PM

13,279 posts, read 7,813,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You really don't get how the immune system works
Your immune system will attack, all out, any wrong thing it finds in any wrong place.

Ingested peanut oil gets properly dealt with by the gall bladder and liver, which are both bypassed with an injection.

You think you are going to "trick" mom nature?

Try again.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,611,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Just for you, MissTerri, did I get up from my comfortable position on the couch with my kindle and return to the big computer where it's easier to post links.

Peanut allergy Definition - Diseases and Conditions - Mayo Clinic
Read the whole freaking thing!

I wasn't being condescending! You think you're such an authority on "the immune system", yet you have no clue that peanut allergy is due to peanut exposure. In addition, your comments " If peanut allergy is caused by exposure to peanuts then everyone who has been exposed to peanuts would be allergic to peanuts. I should be extremely allergic to peanuts since I ate PB&J on an almost daily basis as a child. My kids should be allergic too since I ate PB while pregnant with them and while nursing. How are we all still alive considering our exposure to peanuts? Not even one a single hive?" show a 'knowledge gap' about allergy.
Eating peanuts while pregnant cuts child's risk of allergy
I have never claimed to be an "authority on the immune system". Do you really think your link is clearing anything up for me? Obviously people who are allergic to peanuts will be triggered by exposure to peanuts. Duh! The question is, what is the cause for some people to be allergic while others or not. Why are we seeing an uptick in peanut allergies? Everything I have read on the subject says that the cause is unknown. Some pediatricians recommend holding off on peanuts and introducing them later and some say introduce them early. The reason for the discrepancy? Because they don't know.

Your link says: "It isn't clear why some people develop allergies while others don't."

Sorry to get you up off of your couch for nothing.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:18 PM

I'm surprised "science" didn't use oleomargarine as the excipient.

Course, who knows, maybe they did.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:26 PM

No physician is going to admit that he is stupid enough to inject peanut oil into his or her young patients.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:28 PM

26,646 posts, read 13,611,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It doesn't work that way. Not everyone who eats peanuts becomes allergic to them, obviously. Just as not everyone is allergic to shellfish or bee stings or penicillin or pollen or thousands of other things.

Allergy is an immune response to a foreign protein. It commonly does not appear until there have been multiple exposures to that protein. You may eat peanut butter or shrimp for years before you get hives from them.

Also, the only way for a vaccine to cause allergy to peanuts would be if peanut proteins were in the vaccine.

That's why it's silly to blame peanut allergy on vaccines rather than peanut butter.
Obviously, to your first and second paragraph. That is not the question. The question has to do with why the increase in people with peanut allergies? No one knows. Could it possibly be linked to vaccines? Maybe? If the cause for the increase is unknown it could be anything because it's UNKNOWN! And it's not silly to blame it on vaccines rather then peanut butter since vaccines are injected and peanut butter is eaten which would cause the body to deal with them in very different ways. By the way, I am NOT claiming that vaccines are the cause, I'm just saying, why not keep an open mind when there are unknowns?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:29 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Your immune system will attack, all out, any wrong thing it finds in any wrong place.

Ingested peanut oil gets properly dealt with by the gall bladder and liver, which are both bypassed with an injection.

You think you are going to "trick" mom nature?

Try again.
Your understanding of hepatic physiology is flawed. Ingested or injected does not matter. Your liver does not know the difference. Anything you eat has to get into the blood before it can get to the liver. There is no direct thoroughfare from inside the GI tract to the liver.

Even people with confirmed peanut allergy do not react to refined peanut oil. The allergenic proteins are removed during refining. Oil is a fat, not a protein.

Randomised, double blind, crossover challenge study of a... [BMJ. 1997] - PubMed - NCBI

"None of the 60 subjects reacted to the refined oil; six (10%) reacted to the crude oil."

Old 01-14-2014, 09:30 PM

36,972 posts, read 40,966,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
No physician is going to admit that he is stupid enough to inject peanut oil into his or her young patients.
Which vaccines for children contain peanut oil?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Your understanding of hepatic physiology is flawed. Ingested or injected does not matter. Your liver does not know the difference. Anything you eat has to get into the blood before it can get to the liver. There is no direct thoroughfare from inside the GI tract to the liver.
Bile enters the gut, not the blood stream.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Which vaccines for children contain peanut oil?
You say first!

Old 01-14-2014, 09:41 PM

90,316 posts, read 120,281,064 times
Peanut Allergies in Kids on the Rise

"His research team surveyed 5,300 households in 2008 and discovered that 1.4% of children were thought to have peanut allergies, more than three times the 0.4% rate found when a similar tally was taken in 1997."

That is a period of 11 years, during which only one vaccine was added to the childhood vaccine schedule (Prevnar).

@MissTerri-We're talking about "cause" in two different ways. Exposure to peanuts causes peanut allergy. No one knows why exposure to peanuts causes peanut allergy in some people.

Last edited by Katarina Witt; 01-14-2014 at 10:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies