Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 12:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times

Advertisements

Actually, I did answer your question in post #366. It's hard to give a blanket answer to that. You need to look at age group, etc. You can't always predict exposure or any of the other variables.

I can assure you though, that if you die, you are 100% dead.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:07 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Thanks for the insults, the patronizing remarks, and for not answering my question which was, "what percentage of the population dies from the flu each year?"
Your question leaves out all the people who get the flu who end up in the hospital, including those who nearly died but were saved by medical care. In addition, the number of deaths varies from season to season depending on how well the vaccine matches the circulating strains and how many people take the vaccine. You have already indicated you think the CDC statistics are lies, so what is the point in repeating them to you?

The bottom line is that doctors who are taking care of very sick influenza patients are reporting most of them are unvaccinated.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:18 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
How many people died last year from the flu? If we have that number, we can figure out the percentage of the population who died from the flu last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Actually, I did answer your question in post #366. .
No you didn't.

Old 01-15-2014, 12:56 PM

37,095 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
How many people died last year from the flu? If we have that number, we can figure out the percentage of the population who died from the flu last year.
You are focusing on the wrong question. Obviously not everyone in the country gets the flu. No, a large percentage of the population does not die from the flu. You have said you do not believe the CDC figures on deaths, so the number is irrelevant. However, since you ask, influenza and pneumonia are the ninth leading cause of death in the US:

FASTSTATS - Deaths and Mortality

The majority of the deaths are elderly folks, but not all of them. Last year about 165 children died. Some, but not all of them, had health problems. H1N1, the dominant strain this year, is hitting younger people harder, some healthy and some not.

If you are young and healthy, you can still get the flu. You might not get sick. Only 5 to 20% of the population does each year. But there is no way you can be assured that you will not catch it. The vaccine reduces the risk. With H1N1 being the dominant strain, the risk reduction may be 80%.

The point is that the vaccine reduces the chance you will get the flu. The danger from the vaccine is so low that it cannot really even be estimated, despite what Mercola tells you and despite all the hype you have read about it and the anecdotes from people who take the vaccine, have a problem, and blame it on the vaccine when the vaccine had nothing to do with it.

Of the people who die from the flu, the majority are not vaccinated. That we do know.

Automobile crashes kill about 33,000 people a year. Seat belts reduce the risk of dying by about 50%. I will drive responsibly and defensively, but I will still fasten my seat belt. There is absolutely no reason to not add flu vaccine to your "healthy lifestyle."

Old 01-15-2014, 01:23 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
^^Actually, auto accident deaths are a good comparison. About as many people die from auto accidents annually as from flu. If some on here don't want to believe the CDC, maybe they'll believe an article from NPR (though it uses CDC data). How Many People Die From Flu Each Year? Depends How You Slice The Data : Shots - Health News : NPR This article also says why it's hard to give a hard number.

Old 01-15-2014, 01:31 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
You are focusing on the wrong question. Obviously not everyone in the country gets the flu. No, a large percentage of the population does not die from the flu. You have said you do not believe the CDC figures on deaths, so the number is irrelevant. However, since you ask, influenza and pneumonia are the ninth leading cause of death in the US:

FASTSTATS - Deaths and Mortality

The majority of the deaths are elderly folks, but not all of them. Last year about 165 children died. Some, but not all of them, had health problems. H1N1, the dominant strain this year, is hitting younger people harder, some healthy and some not.

If you are young and healthy, you can still get the flu. You might not get sick. Only 5 to 20% of the population does each year. But there is no way you can be assured that you will not catch it. The vaccine reduces the risk. With H1N1 being the dominant strain, the risk reduction may be 80%.

The point is that the vaccine reduces the chance you will get the flu. The danger from the vaccine is so low that it cannot really even be estimated, despite what Mercola tells you and despite all the hype you have read about it and the anecdotes from people who take the vaccine, have a problem, and blame it on the vaccine when the vaccine had nothing to do with it.

Of the people who die from the flu, the majority are not vaccinated. That we do know.

Automobile crashes kill about 33,000 people a year. Seat belts reduce the risk of dying by about 50%. I will drive responsibly and defensively, but I will still fasten my seat belt. There is absolutely no reason to not add flu vaccine to your "healthy lifestyle."
My son refused to get a flu shot this season. He got the flu about 3 weeks ago. SO, SO sick! Poor guy thought he was dying. He said he'll get the shot from now on. He's still not over it.
Good thing Mom's a nurse.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:06 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
In addition to not understanding the immune system, you do not understand epidemiology. Anti-vaxers focus so much on these miniscule, potential vaccine reactions, but not on the diseases they prevent. The percent that have a vaccine reaction is so small it usually cannot be calculated. This will be a start: Epidemiology - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Amazing....you and the cdc think so...If vaccines trully prevented diseases then why do fully vaccinated people still get them?
In 2009-2010, and outbreak of measles in a HIGHLY vaccinated Orthodox Jewish community showed that 97% of those infected were fully vaccinated.
In 2006, a mumps epidemic of 219 cases....79% had been vaccinated
2009..Two fully vaccinated doctors get measles.
2012 171 cases of pertussis...Doctors claimed the vaccine effectiveness as : 2-7 years old 41% at best, and ages 8-12 years old, a dismal 24%
Pertussis in Vermont..over 280 cases, of the 215 children, 106 were FULLY vaccinated, 54 partially, and 14 with 3 doses of vaccine...vaccine failure rate:80%

I wouldn't call 10-20 thousand adverse events each year (those are just the ones reported) as "so small it usually cannot be calculated".

Old 01-15-2014, 02:17 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Quote:
I remember asking myself this very question when my first was born and the nurse was encouraging me to give my newborn the Hep B Vaccine.
The hep b vaccine was originally made for people in high risk lifestyles...intravenous drug use and sharing of needles...sex with multiple partners etc
CDC found they couldn't get these types to come in for the shot, so instead they tacked it onto the infant schedule...disgusting, damaging, and very, very sad for the little ones who have or will suffer because of it.
Apparently the vaccine wears off within 10 years, so all those poor little babes have been vaccinated for a disease they could never aquire anyways, and by the time they're teens, when they might be at some risk...if the vaccine ever even worked, it wouldn't by now....stupid.

Old 01-15-2014, 02:26 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,730,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
The hep b vaccine was originally made for people in high risk lifestyles...intravenous drug use and sharing of needles...sex with multiple partners etc
CDC found they couldn't get these types to come in for the shot, so instead they tacked it onto the infant schedule...disgusting, damaging, and very, very sad for the little ones who have or will suffer because of it.
Apparently the vaccine wears off within 10 years, so all those poor little babes have been vaccinated for a disease they could never aquire anyways, and by the time they're teens, when they might be at some risk...if the vaccine ever even worked, it wouldn't by now....stupid.
I agree. It is really stupid. And sad that it's pushed and accepted by most.

Old 01-15-2014, 03:11 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
Quote:
Amazing....you and the cdc think so...If vaccines trully prevented diseases then why do fully vaccinated people still get them?
In 2009-2010, and outbreak of measles in a HIGHLY vaccinated Orthodox Jewish community showed that 97% of those infected were fully vaccinated.
In 2006, a mumps epidemic of 219 cases....79% had been vaccinated
2009..Two fully vaccinated doctors get measles.
2012 171 cases of pertussis...Doctors claimed the vaccine effectiveness as : 2-7 years old 41% at best, and ages 8-12 years old, a dismal 24%
Pertussis in Vermont..over 280 cases, of the 215 children, 106 were FULLY vaccinated, 54 partially, and 14 with 3 doses of vaccine...vaccine failure rate:80%
I have responded to you on this exact topic multiple times. Vaccines reduce the incidence of disease transmission, and if infection occurs the severity and duration will be considerably reduced. They cannot absolutely "prevent" infectious disease transmission, that would be impossible, but they do greatly reduce transmission.

Quote:
I wouldn't call 10-20 thousand adverse events each year (those are just the ones reported) as "so small it usually cannot be calculated".
Again, I have responded to you on this exact topic multiple times. If you are referring to VAERS it just goes to show that you refuse to educate yourself on the topic. One dimensional reporting on VAERS does not translate to a reaction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies