Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 08:46 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,930,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The 1st four are religious, the last six are moral. An interesting conflict if more than one religion believes "Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Wow, God's a real vindictive piece of worK; "#2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth. Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the Lord thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments."
Do you understand this keeps the people from having dictators as their leaders. Go to China and see how much you will bow to men! God put it there for protection from men who want your freedom of expression or you to follow their ways.

What part of the 10 Commandments do you have trouble following? Besides the first one......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Actually, it depends on which version of the Ten Commandments to which you are referring. There are two different versions of the Ten Commandments; One in the Book of Genesis, and the other in the Book of Deuteronomy.
There not different a few changed/added words, unless you are reading something the rest of us haven't.

Love to see what you have as "different" By the way it's the book of Exodus and Deuteronomy they're found in.

Old 01-11-2014, 08:58 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Do you understand this keeps the people from having dictators as their leaders. Go to China and see how much you will bow to men! God put it there for protection from men who want your freedom of expression or you to follow their ways.

What part of the 10 Commandments do you have trouble following? Besides the first one......
NO religious dogma belong on government property. PERIOD.

IF you want good rules to live by put a monument of the constitution. Heck, just put a big sign that says "just be nice" up.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
NO religious dogma belong on government property. PERIOD.

IF you want good rules to live by put a monument of the constitution. Heck, just put a big sign that says "just be nice" up.
Then at least agree the 10 Commandments are not just a "Christian Monument" this view happens to be held by 3 religions. Maybe, your side needs to claim a religion first to get your Satan established.

How many people do you think each day pass the 10 Commandments and get on their knees and except Jesus? I bet not many, it probably goes unnoticed most the time! Again, it's not a Christian symbol ONLY.

Old 01-11-2014, 09:14 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
Quote:
Then at least agree the 10 Commandments are not just a "Christian Monument" this view happens to be held by 3 religions. Maybe, your side needs to claim a religion first to get your Satan established.

How many people do you think each day pass the 10 Commandments and get on their knees and except Jesus? I bet not many, it probably goes unnoticed most the time! Again, it's not a Christian symbol ONLY.
Satanism is a recognized religion. Sorry, that you don't agree, but it is.

It isn't about people converting, it is about religious displays on government property. If one is allowed, then any and all should be allowed. Not only those that you personally agree with.

How do you feel about the Hindu group that has applied to have a statue of Hanuman (the monkey god) put up? Hinduism is one of the worlds biggest religions in the world with over 1 BILLION followers.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:00 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,458,236 times
Quote:

The first four.
1) Don't worship those other Gods
2) Don't worship other spirits because I am a jealous god who will curse your family for 4 generations
3) Don't mock me
4) Don't ever, ever, ever work on Sunday or make other people work on Sunday. Turn off your electricity, get off the Internet and don't go to the mall or a movie.

Note that God immediately followed up his ten commandments with ground shaking thunder and lighting and with a smoking mountain to scare the poop out the assembled so they would know he meant business. This has no business in front of a legislative building.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:41 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
Utter nonsense. Observing that the entire nation typically takes Sunday off has no more significance than using the Gregorian calendar.

You have that backwards. Blue laws impose Christian religious belief.

Only because they use the Gregorian calendar. Would you rather they use the Chinese calendar? You are truly becoming desperately obtuse.
To a Christian, it marked a time when the Lord's day, the seventh day of rest, would no longer be honored. Now, for many, it is just another day. So, I don't see how that imposed Christian religious belief. It marked a slow moving away from a day considered a day of rest.

Quote:
What influence, in fact, have ecclesiastical establishments had on society? In some instances they have been seen to erect a spiritual tyranny on the ruins of the civil authority; on many instances they have been seen upholding the thrones of political tyranny; in no instance have they been the guardians of the liberties of the people. Rulers who wish to subvert the public liberty may have found an established clergy convenient auxiliaries. A just government, instituted to secure and perpetuate it, needs them not. -- James Madison, A Memorial and Remonstrance, addressed to the General Assembly of the Commonwealth of Virginia, 1785.

If Madision, in later years, changed his view as might be evidenced in
Detached Memoranda, which was discovered later, it certainly doesn't bode well to claim him to be the only authority among the Founding Fathers. After all, there were 126 individuals involved in the framing of our Constitution and the Bill of Rights.

"A watchful eye must be kept on ourselves lest, while we are building ideal monuments of renown and bliss here, we neglect to have our names enrolled in the Annals of Heaven."
James Madison, Letters and Other Writings of James Madison (New York: R. Worthington, 1884), Vol. I, pp. 5-6, to William Bradford on November 9, 1772.

"I have sometimes thought there could not be a stronger testimony in favor of religion or against temporal enjoyments, even the most rational and manly, than for men who occupy the most honorable and gainful departments and [who] are rising in reputation and wealth, publicly to declare their unsatisfactoriness by becoming fervent advocates in the cause of Christ; and I wish you may give in your evidence in this way." - [/SIZE]James Madison, The Papers of James Madison, William T. Hutchinson, editor (Illinois: University of Chicago Press, 1962), Vol. I, p. 96, to William Bradford on September 25, 1773.

Quote:
If they are good workmen, they may be of Asia, Africa, or Europe. They may be Mohometans, Jews or Christians of any Sect, or they may be Atheists. --- George Washington, letter to Tench Tilghman asking him to secure a carpenter and a bricklayer for his Mount Vernon estate, March 24, 1784

How is Washington's view of a "good workman" showing he wanted a secular society? His words don't speak to that effect.

"I now make it my earnest prayer that God would… most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy, and to demean ourselves with that charity, humility, and pacific temper of the mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion." George Washington,
The Last Official Address of His Excellency George Washington to the Legislature of the United States (Hartford: Hudson and Goodwin, 1783), p. 12; see also The New Annual Register or General Repository of History, Politics, and Literature, for the Year 1783 (London: G. Robinson, 1784), p. 150.

"You do well to wish to learn our arts and ways of life, and above all, the religion of Jesus Christ. These will make you a greater and happier people than you are." - George Washington,122. George Washington, The Writings of Washington, John C. Fitzpatrick, editor (Washington: Government Printing Office, 1932), Vol. XV, p. 55, from his speech to the Delaware Indian Chiefs on May 12, 1779.

Quote:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. --- Thomas Jefferson, Notes on the State of Virginia, 1785.
As Foreign Minister to France during the French Revolution, you can clearly see how he formed his view against one sect of Christianity dominating a country. He had written that "the French people were not yet "virtuous" enough to accept a sudden republicanism after so many years of superstition and despotism". Much of that superstition came from the Catholic Church. Deposing the Catholic Church opened up and forced a devotion and worship into the private sphere marking a religious revival. I can more clearly evidence Jefferson's view against a single Christian sect dominating a society, and it appears that was the Founding Father's views as well.

"The practice of morality being necessary for the well being of society, He [God] has taken care to impress its precepts so indelibly on our hearts that they shall not be effaced by the subtleties of our brain. We all agree in the obligation of the moral principles of Jesus and nowhere will they be found delivered in greater purity than in His discourses."
Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Alberty Ellery Bergh, editor (Washington D.C.: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XII, p. 315, to James Fishback, September 27, 1809.

"I am a real Christian – that is to say, a disciple of the doctrines of Jesus Christ." - Thomas Jefferson, The Writings of Thomas Jefferson, Albert Ellery Bergh, editor (Washington, D.C.: The Thomas Jefferson Memorial Association, 1904), Vol. XIV, p. 385, to Charles Thomson on January 9, 1816.

Old 01-11-2014, 10:50 AM

4,814 posts, read 3,842,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
The first four.
1) Don't worship those other Gods
2) Don't worship other spirits because I am a jealous god who will curse your family for 4 generations
3) Don't mock me
4) Don't ever, ever, ever work on Sunday or make other people work on Sunday. Turn off your electricity, get off the Internet and don't go to the mall or a movie.

Note that God immediately followed up his ten commandments with ground shaking thunder and lighting and with a smoking mountain to scare the poop out the assembled so they would know he meant business. This has no business in front of a legislative building.
The 10 Commandments were simply set out as an admonition to our relation with both God and man. If He scared people for frolicking around a golden calf who could do nothing for them, they should have been scared, because it was silly. They simply were tired of waiting and decided to do their own thing. Not much different than today.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:06 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
There ought to be a designer bag as well. For those who are sac-religious.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:28 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,442,152 times
Quote:
There not different a few changed/added words, unless you are reading something the rest of us haven't.

Love to see what you have as "different" By the way it's the book of Exodus and Deuteronomy they're found in.
You are right, Exodus, not Genesis. My mistake.

It is primarily the order that is different between the two versions. The phrasing of each may be slightly different, but the meaning did not change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies