Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:22 PM

3,617 posts, read 3,883,560 times

Advertisements

Lower taxes/spending and laws that allow for development make life better for people who are net taxpayers and don't already own property, all other things held equal. It's not rocket science.

Of course on the flip side taxing and spending is better for net recipients of public benefits, and restrictive development laws improve appreciation for people who already own property locally. Again, not rocket science.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:23 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,419,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Texas is also the second biggest state behind Alaska and over 100K sq miles larger than California, so Texas does have much more land therefore the supply is much higher than the demand.
Exactly and that even reduces pressure on urban areas. Places like Dallas can stay cheaper because folks can go out to somewhere like Collin county, or Denton County etc. and even further, and the existence of that option reduces cost. In a place like California, going to somewhere outside of LA like Orange County or Riverside county won't help you much because those places are also hugely dense. The same is true with Connecticut, as you are flanked by NYC, Boston and Providence.

Its all supply and demand.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:29 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,387,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
And here's a perfect example of what the OP is talking about. The stupidity that comes out of CA knows no bounds and the envy towards TX is downright frightening on this forum.
If you think California is envious of Texas, then why is it that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these stupid threads is started by a Texan???

Please tell me ALL Texans don't suffer from a massive inferiority complex... just the ones on this forum?

Old 01-07-2014, 08:31 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
If you think California is envious of Texas, then why is it that EVERY SINGLE ONE of these stupid threads is started by a Texan???

Please tell me ALL Texans don't suffer from a massive inferiority complex... just the ones on this forum?
I see ignorant CA residents starting threads like this all the time, maybe you just need to pay more attention. Look at the bashing taking place in this thread, which direction is it going? Exactly.

Old 01-07-2014, 08:36 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,087,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Huh? I just looked up Los Angeles County on redfin and there was about 9000 homes for sale under $600K. Maybe your expectations are too high when it comes to looking for a home to buy in Los Angeles or your pay isn't middle class.
Without researching anything, my guess would be the the median home price in America is considerably less that that.
And I'd also guess that anyone not living in Cali or NYC would probably consider $600k to be on the rather high end of middle class....

Out of touch much?

Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screen View Post
You think $600k is middle class? Really? And I did the search and here's what $600k can get you.

1014 North RAMPART Blvd, Silver Lake, CA 90026 | MLS# TR13178958 | Redfin
3221 GLENHURST Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90039 | MLS# WS13154874 | Redfin

Tiny homes with poor schools

The average person can't afford a $600k home and $600k isn't enough for a decent home in Los Angeles.
You should specify what you consider middle class, and yes anything below $600K for homes is what one would consider middle class in Los Angeles County. Also, I said there were almost 9000 homes in a quick search I did, and that was only with Los Angeles County and not the entire metro, so I am sure you could find something that worked for you, or buy a home in Texas....or buy a neighborhood in Detroit for the same price.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:15 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Without researching anything, my guess would be the the median home price in America is considerably less that that.
And I'd also guess that anyone not living in Cali or NYC would probably consider $600k to be on the rather high end of middle class....

Out of touch much?
How is that out of touch? We are talking about California, not Kansas. There is more demand and not enough supply in California therefore prices are going to be higher. Also $600K would be for those that are considered upper middle class, that would not be what I would consider to be the median home price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies