Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 01:28 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
True to an extent. They tell us, but they bury the information in a lot of superfluous garbage. You have to dig through the processed haystack to find the pearl.
Agreed. I do that every month the with BLS employment report.
As they say..the devil is in the details.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2014, 01:40 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I know reality is different than what the government tells us.
Sigh. No.

What you know is the falsehoods you have been told without any actual understanding or research. What you know is your assumptions.

Lets list some of them:
1 trillion a year increasing at 20%
OK so 2012-2013 what rate did it increase at? Go look. Go ahead, we can wait.
Oh look it went down!
maybe its that evil food stamp program!
Hmmm nope.

"Even a mandated $15/hr wouldn't get them off welfare programs!"
Sigh. Really? Maybe you should go look?
they get about 600 in food stamps, and 300 or so in tanf. (yeah that goes far i am sure). I assure you they can't make 3X that amount and still collect it. (was surprised...really? 332 for 4 people? wow. I make that in less then a day.

Oh no milk programs for the poor! SEVEN of them!
Lets see...WIC (which is for babies and very young children)
there is another for kids in school I think
and...thats all I got, what do you have for those 7 programs? And how do they overlap, whats their total cost?

Seriously, you're listening to people tell you stuff, and not fact checking them at all. It makes you do and say things based upon propaganda.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:50 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,207,350 times
Quote:
Even a mandated $15/hour won't get them off welfare programs.
That comes out to $31,200/ yr if at 40hr/wk. In some states that might be enough to get by in others no way.

In my day both the wife and I worked, so if the family of 4 today were able to earn that $15/hr for both parents income goes to $62,400. Enough to get off the system.

Problem is not enough JOBS.

Old 01-09-2014, 02:09 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,537,226 times
Quote:
TANF is also put on EBT cards as well as SNAP.
And TANF does have a cash part that can be used for whatever they want..no questioned asked.
Once TANF is placed on their cards it becomes THEIR money to spend however they want.

A lot of people get child support on EBT cards. Once a woman gets into the system, the state continues to pay out child support long after the parent may need any other form of welfare. The state continues to handle child support so that they can take a cut of it every month to "pay back the system".

So, some of those people using their EBT cards in far off places, or places some people don't approve of, just may be using their own money and not money from the government. You just never know.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:38 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sigh. No.

What you know is the falsehoods you have been told without any actual understanding or research. What you know is your assumptions.

Lets list some of them:
1 trillion a year increasing at 20%
OK so 2012-2013 what rate did it increase at? Go look. Go ahead, we can wait.
Oh look it went down!
maybe its that evil food stamp program!
Hmmm nope.

"Even a mandated $15/hr wouldn't get them off welfare programs!"
Sigh. Really? Maybe you should go look?
they get about 600 in food stamps, and 300 or so in tanf. (yeah that goes far i am sure). I assure you they can't make 3X that amount and still collect it. (was surprised...really? 332 for 4 people? wow. I make that in less then a day.

Oh no milk programs for the poor! SEVEN of them!
Lets see...WIC (which is for babies and very young children)
there is another for kids in school I think
and...thats all I got, what do you have for those 7 programs? And how do they overlap, whats their total cost?

Seriously, you're listening to people tell you stuff, and not fact checking them at all. It makes you do and say things based upon propaganda.
Do you just make up the rules as you go ?
So if you don't know it in your head then it doesn't exist ?
Because you only know of 2 milk programs then that must mean there aren't any more ?
There are SEVEN different milk programs and each one is administered by a staff earning salary and pensions. The last milk program.."Special Milk Program" is for people who didn't qualify for any of the other six programs.

Maybe you should do a bit more reading on the government programs before producing your "facts" ?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:51 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,292,856 times
Hey, they're just contributing to some poor girl's college fund. Once she graduates, she'll become a productive tax-paying member of society.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:58 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Quote:
Over $1 trillion a year and growing at 20% annually.
Sooner or later you will give a hoot.
What a load of BS. Food stamps don't cost remotely any where near $1 trillion and that is a number you just pulled out of your backside.

Quote:
SNAP benefits costs $76.4 billion in Fiscal Year 2013 and supplied roughly 47.6 million Americans with an average of $133.08 per month in food assistance.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You're off by a factor of ~13 or more than an order of magnitude.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:00 AM

34,278 posts, read 19,356,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
What a load of BS. Food stamps don't cost remotely any where near $1 trillion and that is a number you just pulled out of your backside.

You're off by a factor of ~13 or more than an order of magnitude.
Really? a factor of 13? You think?

do the math, do you think 133/mo is the average welfare amount? or are you thinking its more like 1,500 PER PERSON?

FACT:the average per person is $133

Or do you disagree with the number of people collecting food stamps? 46 million? Are you thinking its 598 million? the entire population of the united states?

FACT, itss not 598 million, it is in fact that earliers number.

Now...do some math. Let me help you-the answer is # of people * average cost is.....

Old 01-12-2014, 09:02 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I am over myself, you're the one coming on an internet forum claiming you're superwoman, I simply responded to it.
If that's how you wish to interpret it, knock yourself out with your hatred. I posted that to illustrate that it's a b.s. excuse. You responded that you have had more than one job at a time, too. Should I also call you "superwoman"?

Old 01-12-2014, 10:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,903,542 times
Greywar, the figure of $133 is indeed correct; I'm the one who told you that. Also, if you'd bothered to check the link I provided, it is the US Budget line item amount for food stamps.

The total per year the US budget spends on SNAP is $76.4 billion per year which isn't even close to the retarded claim of $1 trillion made previously. That's US budget data.

Quote:
SNAP benefits costs $76.4 billion in Fiscal Year 2013 and supplied roughly 47.6 million Americans with an average of $133.08 per month in food assistance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies