Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:17 AM

24,261 posts, read 14,117,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Like I explained, families benefit the nation as WHOLE. You do not have to marry anyone in order to benefit from a more stable society. Law Enforcement benefits the sociaty as whole, but it doesn't mean you need to become a cop in order to benefit from it. How does the government promote marriage? There are incentives which encorage people to get married. As a matter of fact the SSM proponents use those incentives as an argument to legalize SSM.
And homosexual have families too. We have children, and adopt children that heterosexuals decide that they don't want anymore. Not to mention there is not one state marriage law that requires children for any marriage. If you want to make marriage all about children, then all of those married people without children, or who are unable to have children, need to have their marriages voided, but that will not prevent SSM since many of us HAVE children using the same methods as some heterosexual couples. So, maybe you should ban or void all marriages that do not have children that are biologically related to both spouses, that will in effect void even more marriages as there are many couples that are unable to reproduce together and use medical means, or adopt to have families just like homosexual couples.

Sorry, but you need to take this idea back to the drawing board.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:18 AM

76,915 posts, read 47,227,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Families arent necessarily composed of married individuals. I've been living with my "live in girlfriend" for 19 years now. We're beyond stable.
Good for you. However, you are more of an excpetion than a rule. Generally married couples stick together far more often than non-married ones.

Quote:
Marriage btw, doesnt take place under the general welfare clause of the Constitution, it takes place under the Pursuit of Happiness in the Declaration of Independence..
Supporting traditional marriage for the benefits to the nation as WHOLE boils down "promoting general welfare".

Old 01-09-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If it helps families stay together and provide a stable environment for their children, then YES. The truth is that married people are more likely to stay together and provide such environment for their kids, than non married couples.
Again, homosexuals HAVE children. We also adopt children. Why do our families not deserve the same stabilizing environment?

You do realize that this argument has been tried in every same sex marriage case, and has been shot down every time. Right?

Old 01-09-2014, 08:20 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,862,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
We have children, and adopt children that heterosexuals decide that they don't want anymore.
And here we are with a sore spot I have with "gays" throwing up that you adopt children because marriage has nothing to do with that. You adopt children now, and marriage wont change that either just like hetrosexuals adopt children.

Some states like PA allow unmarried individuals to adopt children together, while other states dont allow it, like OH, where you have to adopt as a single individual. Gays dont face any hardships in adopting that non gays do.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

69,368 posts, read 63,862,710 times
Quote:
Good for you. However, you are more of an excpetion than a rule. Generally married couples stick together far more often than non-married ones..
The divorce rate might prove your position wrong
Quote:
The benefits of traditional marriage to the nation as WHOLE are "promoting general welfare".
Wrong.. marriage promotes the individual welfare, not the general welfare. The nation could be filled with tens of millions of unmarried couples, all living together as a family, with children, without being married.

The only benefits to marriage is
A) tax reasons, which I oppose
B) asset protection, but contracts would take care of this
or
C) happiness of the individuals involved.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
And homosexual have families too. We have children, and adopt children that heterosexuals decide that they don't want anymore.
Every gay marriage with kids are missing either father, or a mother. The best environment for a child to grow up in is a family with both father and mother.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
And here we are with a sore spot I have with "gays" throwing up that you adopt children because marriage has nothing to do with that. You adopt children now, and marriage wont change that either just like hetrosexuals adopt children.

Some states like PA allow unmarried individuals to adopt children together, while other states dont allow it, like OH.. Gays dont face any hardships in adopting that non gays do.
The op is saying that marriage supports families. Homosexual couples have families. I am going with the position in the OP even though it has failed repeatedly in court cases.

Does marriage have any requirement to have children? No. But I'm playing along with the OP, and showing him how the argument does not work.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Every gay marriage with kids are missing either father, or a mother. The best environment for a child to grow up in is a family with both father and mother.
This has been shown to be false, as children raised by same sex couples do just as well in all measurable ways as children raised by opposite sex couples.
Please try again.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:26 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,614,567 times
i don't think it's necessary to "promote heterosexual marriage"

just stop undermining it.

the more benefits we give to single moms, the less likely they are to need a man in the family.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Wrong.. marriage promotes the individual welfare, not the general welfare. The nation could be filled with tens of millions of unmarried couples, all living together as a family, with children, without being married.
I already explained how it benefits the as WHOLE, so I am not going to explain it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies