U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 01:56 PM

29,124 posts, read 22,029,506 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
You don't know that he wasn't a Christian at the time of the murder. Wishful thinking on your part.

BTW.....what is the definition of a Christian?
It is highly unlikely that he was a Christian at the time of the murder - is that better?

A Christian has been born again, and is a new creation.

The fruits of such a transformation are not going to be going out and killing a pregnant woman.

A Christian is one who believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and accepts him as their Lord and Savior.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2014, 02:15 PM

15,160 posts, read 13,423,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
It is highly unlikely that he was a Christian at the time of the murder - is that better?

A Christian has been born again, and is a new creation.

The fruits of such a transformation are not going to be going out and killing a pregnant woman.

A Christian is one who believes that Jesus Christ is the son of God, and accepts him as their Lord and Savior.
Prisons are full of such "fruits of transformation"........you go right ahead and trust them to walk the talk.......most people aren't that naïve.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Prisons are full of such "fruits of transformation"........you go right ahead and trust them to walk the talk.......most people aren't that naïve.
Sure they are - prisons are fields that are ripe for a harvest, and Harrier respects the laborers who go into those prisons and sow the seeds.

As a general rule, Harrier trusts no physical person completely, including himself.

That does not mean that he has any reason to doubt the sincerity of a person's conviction and faith in Jesus Christ.

The last words of serial killer Westly Allan Dodd before the state of Washington hanged him in 1993 were "I was once asked by somebody, I don't remember who, if there was any way sex offenders could be stopped. I said no. I was wrong. I was wrong when I said that there is no hope, no peace. I found both in the Lord, Jesus Christ. Look to the Lord and you will find peace."

Old 01-18-2014, 02:34 PM

41,492 posts, read 51,367,509 times
I may be an economic liberal but all this fuss about causing the criminal pain while executing him is complete nonsense.

AFTER ALL YOU ARE KILLING THE BASTARD!!

Pain is a likely consequence. I suggest public hanging be the formal method. Done right it is near instantaneous and the public gets to watch the result of their law. Besides the rope is reusable.

Old 01-18-2014, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I may be an economic liberal but all this fuss about causing the criminal pain while executing him is complete nonsense.

AFTER ALL YOU ARE KILLING THE BASTARD!!

Pain is a likely consequence. I suggest public hanging be the formal method. Done right it is near instantaneous and the public gets to watch the result of their law. Besides the rope is reusable.
In New Hampshire, the default method of execution is lethal injection, but hanging may be utilized if LI doesn't work properly.

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

Perhaps McGuire would have been hanged if he was in New Hampshire, and the execution went over the usual length of time, which it did in Ohio.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:13 PM

4,787 posts, read 4,032,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There is still no need to eliminate someone's life outside of a desire for some to kill.
It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt he did brutally kill an innocent victim without just cause. Society has deemed that the penalty for doing that is death. Part of that decision is to irrevocably prevent a recurrence of the crime, and the best way to ensure that is to terminate the offender. Ergo, he must die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Despite the attempt to portray it this way he did not kill himself. Nobody is arguing that the family is trying to excuse what he did either, that doesn't mean they do not experience a real loss.
And the source of loss is the perpetrator. No force or person outside of him brought about the circumstances leading to his death and their subsequent loss.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:18 PM

78,868 posts, read 33,547,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
It was proven beyond a reasonable doubt he did brutally kill an innocent victim without just cause. Society has deemed that the penalty for doing that is death. Part of that decision is to irrevocably prevent a recurrence of the crime, and the best way to ensure that is to terminate the offender. Ergo, he must die.
LOL. I care less about the argument about how we might execute someone that didn't do it. It means nothing to my opinion that nobody should have the right to take the life of another outside of self defense. The odds of someone spending life in prison segregated from others if there is a belief he may harm others is infinitesimally low.

All the while the state will keep on killing.

Quote:
And the source of loss is the perpetrator. No force or person outside of him brought about the circumstances leading to his death and their subsequent loss.
Indeed they did. Killing him was a choice.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
That is not entirely true.

Sin is a force and is present in every human being.

It can be quite powerful.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:33 PM

23,953 posts, read 11,917,869 times
He gasped and lurched against the straps, much like his victim did when he raped and strangled her.

No sympathy from me.

Old 01-18-2014, 03:56 PM

4,787 posts, read 4,032,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
That is not entirely true.

Sin is a force and is present in every human being.

It can be quite powerful.
Workin_Hard wonders how Harrier defines "sin". And hopes that Harrier will not resort to theological concepts to explain this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies