Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 07:00 AM

92 posts, read 75,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
The problem is that most creationist don't have a strong science background. It would be analogous to if Mr. Nye got on stage with a theologian to debate the stations of the cross and thier true meaning.

I am assuming that Mr. Nye has no advanced theological training of course.
most evolutionists don't have strong science backgrounds, they are just uneducated fools latching onto the theory they were told was intelligent so people think they know some stuff.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:03 AM

92 posts, read 75,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceist View Post
I don't think you understand how evolution works.
i do know how it works, it needs a function to "select" and therefore if a complex system fails immediately if one part is removed, there was never any function for evolution to select to reach that point as it is nonfunctional without all the parts at once. Evolution cannount account for a complex system that had no functionally without one of its parts. That goes against the idea of gradual change.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:15 AM

1,866 posts, read 2,850,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryTimrod View Post
most evolutionists don't have strong science backgrounds, they are just uneducated fools latching onto the theory they were told was intelligent so people think they know some stuff.
I don't think you understand how science works.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:27 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Evolutionists have never explained how evolution accounts for irredicubily complex systems found in lifeforms.

It is also just as hard to believe the first lifeform just spontenously occured than it is to to believe a "God" created it.
Irreducible complexity has to be applied to God also.
Quote:
He would if it were an honest and fair debate. This will be like an embarrassing side-show with Ken Ham throwing so many ridiculously ignorant straw man arguments at Nye, that it will be impossible to address them all in the time allowed. Ken Ham will then claim "victory" because Nye couldn't 'refute' all of Ham's arguments.

Ham will then batter away at Nye and continually interrupt him by asking "Were you there? Were you there? Were you there?" then turn to his scientifically illiterate Creationist audience and whip them up with stupid statements like "My uncle ain't no monkey! Is yours?"

Nye should know better than give air time to people like this.

”Debating creationists on the topic of evolution is rather like trying to play chess with a pigeon — it knocks the pieces over, craps on the board, and flies back to its flock to claim victory." Scott D. Weitzenhoffer
I agree 1000%. All true
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
If every house has a builder, who built God?
They never wanna answer that question. That's because it ends the debate almost immediately.
Quote:
LMAO...Richard Dawkins. You might've heard of him.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
This "debate" has never, ever happened before.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,942,406 times
Quote:
Is there a difference between an "evolutionist" and a person that accepts the theory of evolution?

Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,646,380 times
Quote:
How about choosing not to give air time to someone who thinks the earth is flat? Or that the moon is made of green cheese? Are they just 'contrary points of view' and "Chances are there is no winning argument"?

Do you think there is any validity at all to a claim that the earth is only 6000 years old and that humans rode dinosaurs?
I'm all good with giving even the most preposterous ideas air time. I believe in treating everyone equally, and shunning no one. If you have the truth on your side, the audience will be won over by your arguments.

Iraqi TV Debate: Is the Earth Flat? - YouTube

Old 01-10-2014, 10:20 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
The Ken Miller video I posted already did that quite plainly. If he couldn't understand that, why would I waste my time writing a long post he couldn't be bothered to read or understand?

If you want to waste your time telling him why he was wrong, go ahead.
I am sorry. I did miss that you posted that. Fair enough.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:39 AM

319 posts, read 604,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
This is going to be fun, hope they air the full video on the interwebs.

'Bill Nye the Science Guy' to Take On Creationist in Evolution Debate
"I would personally show him through our museum before the debate," Ham said. "I would also like him to meet our several full-time staff members who hold earned doctorates in science."

Funny how our tribal-esque society thinks that a degree gives you authority. A PhD is almost never declined, unless you have truly bad mentors, that have a desire to see others fail around them. Someone posted a link the other day regarding this topic, to a video of someone with a PhD and no publication record to speak of, as an authority. That individual was clearly one of their agents sent in to get a degree, depriving someone who wanted one honestly, to create an illusion of authority. The right-wing evangelicals sure are sneaky.

"Arguments from authority carry little weight - authorities have made mistakes in the past. They will do so again in the future. Perhaps a better way to say it is that in science there are no authorities; at most, there are experts."

-Carl Sagan

Old 01-10-2014, 12:03 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,284,721 times
Quote:
Evolutionists have never explained how evolution accounts for irredicubily complex systems found in lifeforms.
I've seen biologists (no such thing as an evolutionist) show that there's no need to explain them, because no such irreducibly complex systems exist. The claims creationists make about things being irreducibly complex are simply wrong.

Quote:
It is also just as hard to believe the first lifeform just spontenously occured than it is to to believe a "God" created it.
Not really. Chemical reactions are real things, where as deities are mythological. Perhaps it's hard for you to believe, but I'm totally cool with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies