Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 02:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Question is, supplimental to what? If one has nothing, then it's not supplimental. It is basic to survival.
Supplemental to your own money. That is the government definition.
They figure it supplements 30% of your total food bill.

So if they give you $200/month in food stamp then your total food budget is $666.66 a month.
(lol at that number..think it was done on purpose ?)

Old 01-10-2014, 02:55 PM

8,016 posts, read 5,856,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I agree that there is a larger issue as far as food choices and planning are concerned. This is one reason why I feel that there should be some sort of adult education class which teaches people how to prepare simple meals, how to shop, and how to look for nutritional value labels on food.

I'm with you on the Dunkin Donuts too. We splurge about once every couple of months and buy a dozen to consume over the weekend, but it isn't something that we would do on a regular basis. Nobody makes a Boston Kreme like Dunkin Donuts.

I like that slogan. It may not be PC, but it gets the point across quite well.

Funny you mention that about the "cooking class" -- my wife and I often wonder why health and finance aren't a bigger part of the middle-school/high-school curriculum. The interesting thing is that my kids got a pretty healthy dose of "health/healthy-living" as part of their PE class this year, so perhaps things are going in the right direction.

In my house (6 people), the dozen donuts last about 15 minutes....lol. My youngest taught me that if I don't eat my two, he will.

That slogan is definitely not PC, but it is incredibly succinct.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:04 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Funny you mention that about the "cooking class" -- my wife and I often wonder why health and finance aren't a bigger part of the middle-school/high-school curriculum. The interesting thing is that my kids got a pretty healthy dose of "health/healthy-living" as part of their PE class this year, so perhaps things are going in the right direction.

In my house (6 people), the dozen donuts last about 15 minutes....lol. My youngest taught me that if I don't eat my two, he will.

They got rid of Home Ec where you learned that stuff.
They incorporated nutrition into health classes and PE classes where you learn about calories and daily intake.

Cooking, sewing, budgeting has been removed from the curriculum.
And it wasn't an elective either..everyone had to take that class.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:21 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The story illustrates well why food stamps and government funded health care should be eliminated.
No more need be said.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They incorporated nutrition into health classes and PE classes where you learn about calories and daily intake.

My local high school has a budgeting elective class. Cooking/sewing were cut before I left school, a long, long time ago.

Old 01-10-2014, 05:59 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,728,194 times
Quote:
The USDA can easily fix that by disallowing junk food just like they disallow alcohol and tobacco.
Don't let the chips ring up, don't let the 12 pack of soda ring up just like the dog food doesn't ring up.
Let the real food ring up and let them spend their own money on the junk.
I completely agree. If SNAP was done more like WIC, that would cut down on the fraud too. Hard to trade PB, produce and milk coupons for drugs, alcohol, etc. Ideally, I would love to see actual food given out because then that would guarantee that there was food available for the kids. But I know that will probably never happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I agree that there is a larger issue as far as food choices and planning are concerned. This is one reason why I feel that there should be some sort of adult education class which teaches people how to prepare simple meals, how to shop, and how to look for nutritional value labels on food.

I'm with you on the Dunkin Donuts too. We splurge about once every couple of months and buy a dozen to consume over the weekend, but it isn't something that we would do on a regular basis. Nobody makes a Boston Kreme like Dunkin Donuts.

I like that slogan. It may not be PC, but it gets the point across quite well.
I organized a fundraiser last year for a charity in my city that teaches people how to make quick, healthy meals. They have a list of healthy staples that they ask people to donate, and then they supplement that with a garden the charity grows.
It's not hard to teach people basic cooking skills. But the people have to be willing to learn and use the skills. I put some sort of meat and fresh veggies in our crock pot at least once a week. Even a single mom working full time could do that. And you come home to a healthy prepared dinner.

But I have volunteered in Appalachia too, and I completely understand what you are saying. I cringe to seeing the babies walking around with Mountain Dew in a baby bottle. The crazy thing is the area is so cheap, a couple working at Walmart could afford a little house, etc. But that would require some long term thinking- waiting to have kids, etc., that so many poor people in that area don't seem to be able to do in the numbing poverty.
My MIL lives in rural TN, and has made $10-$11 an hour most of her life. She was able to buy a cute little 3/2 house with her salary.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,163,673 times
Quote:
Time to take away all the "temporary benefits" that are no longer needed.
No one is dying of starvation in the streets.
We have an obesity problem with the poor, not a starvation problem.
^^ This. Not one family using an EBT card looks anything but fat. And I see no one in America looking like a famine victim from Africa. And until they do, why are we so worried about the availability of SNAP benefits?

These sort of government safety nets should only be for people in real crisis, not helping slackers keep slacking.

Old 01-10-2014, 07:38 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,227,294 times
Instead of giving them EBT cards, let social workers drop off portioned and healthy food once a week.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:28 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post

You and your wife should go take a look at the curriculum at most high schools. They generally include some type of personal finance.

Quote:

Budgeting has been added to the curriculum in many places.

Old 01-10-2014, 10:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
Instead of giving them EBT cards, let social workers drop off portioned and healthy food once a week.
And that would be real cost effective, not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies