Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 07:59 PM

1,660 posts, read 2,532,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Actually, who in the US really cares about this? It was a two day story.
This. India is a joke and practically a third world country. Who cares?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2014, 08:34 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,779,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
But is there any evidence that Ms Sangeeta didnt scammed Ms Devyani? There is no evidence that maid is telling truth. Reward for not telling truth in her case is Green Card in USA. So sometimes dishonest people tell lies for financial gains.

Sangeeta always wanted to work abroad: Mother-in-Law - Indian Express

Sangeeta Richard was happy with her job, says her daughter Jennifer - India - DNA

Sangeeta Richard's diary says she was happy: Devyani Khobragade's sister - India - DNA
I haven't met an Indian, a Pakistani, a Sri Lanka, a Filipino who didn't want to go to the US.

Do you not realize that many housemaids who work outside their country and live under not-so-nice conditions say "everything is OK" because they don't want to worry their mother/father/husband/child(ren). Have you every told your mother a lie so that she wouldn't worry? I've done it due to medical reasons because I lived overseas and told my mother and daughter everything was fine because I didn't want them to worry unnecessarily. They have done it to me for certain reasons. It's human nature to protect the ones you love and sometimes it means having to lie to them.

So Devy's sister somehow was in possession of the maid's diary. How did that happen? The sister's word is evidence? Seriously?

People from all countries scam America. You think that maid was "special"?

How about you address the conviction of visa fraud? You're pretty silent on that. It seems "bad maid" is being used to distract from the real crime - visa fraud. The fact that Devy was convicted for visa fraud makes me wonder if that was the first time or one of many?

Story: When Dubai started to grow it was labor intense. It was referred to as "The City of Cranes". I was with an acquaintance who is a very wealthy Pakistani (and cheap as sh*t). I commented on how horrible it was how the laborers worked in unbearable heat, were fed rancid food, the conditions of the camps they lived in, the ovens that transported them from camp to site and the slave wages they got to build a city. Some of them had their salary withheld for 6 months. Money they sent back home to (1) their family and (2) the broker who they had to pay to get to Dubai. His response: they are doing better than they would be doing in Pakistan. WTF? Most of the developers were foreigners and the "Boss Man" was usually an Indian. Today, all that has changed for the laborers.

I know what I'm talking about. I've seen and heard quite a bit. I've been around a lot of Indians and Pakistanis and I can say - the only thing that separates them is a border. They are so much alike in so many ways.

Old 01-13-2014, 09:31 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
This. India is a joke and practically a third world country. Who cares?
India is an emerging country and hardly a joke.

No one cares that this Indian person broke the law, the US handled it poorly and India responded poorly.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 1,333 times
[quote=softblueyz;33007789]I haven't met an Indian, a Pakistani, a Sri Lanka, a Filipino who didn't want to go to the US.

Well, I have not seen a single US company that doesn't want to sell their products in Indian market. Also, one out of every three new start up in Silicon valley has an Indian immigrant behind it. Having said that, even Obama and his wife danced then they came to visit India for that multi-billion dollar defense contract. pleading India to buy sub-standard American products so he could create job in US. India had larger trade with China compared to US. India needs to rethink its relation ship with US and needs to open up communication with Russia and China.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:42 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
I haven't met an Indian, a Pakistani, a Sri Lanka, a Filipino who didn't want to go to the US.
I definitely have. I spend two years studying abroad and doing research in South Asia. With the economy booming in emerging towns, there's plenty of Indians that don't want to come here. There's plenty that have been here and gone back. The quality of life is much better for them over there nowadays than it was 20 years ago (for white collar workers).

Old 01-14-2014, 06:09 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,686,325 times
Quote:

Do you not realize that many housemaids who work outside their country and live under not-so-nice conditions say "everything is OK" because they don't want to worry their mother/father/husband/child(ren). Have you every told your mother a lie so that she wouldn't worry? I've done it due to medical reasons because I lived overseas and told my mother and daughter everything was fine because I didn't want them to worry unnecessarily. They have done it to me for certain reasons. It's human nature to protect the ones you love and sometimes it means having to lie to them.

So Devy's sister somehow was in possession of the maid's diary. How did that happen? The sister's word is evidence? Seriously?

How about you address the conviction of visa fraud? You're pretty silent on that. It seems "bad maid" is being used to distract from the real crime - visa fraud. The fact that Devy was convicted for visa fraud makes me wonder if that was the first time or one of many?

Story: When Dubai started to grow it was labor intense. It was referred to as "The City of Cranes". I was with an acquaintance who is a very wealthy Pakistani (and cheap as sh*t). I commented on how horrible it was how the laborers worked in unbearable heat, were fed rancid food, the conditions of the camps they lived in, the ovens that transported them from camp to site and the slave wages they got to build a city. Some of them had their salary withheld for 6 months. Money they sent back home to (1) their family and (2) the broker who they had to pay to get to Dubai. His response: they are doing better than they would be doing in Pakistan. WTF? Most of the developers were foreigners and the "Boss Man" was usually an Indian. Today, all that has changed for the laborers.

I know what I'm talking about. I've seen and heard quite a bit. I've been around a lot of Indians and Pakistanis and I can say - the only thing that separates them is a border. They are so much alike in so many ways.
Things are not clear as yet.
One thing has emerged that Devyani Khobragade, at the time of her arrest, was having full diplomatic immunity as in August only she was having a charge as an advisor in United Nations. So NYC police erred in arresting her in breach of diplomatic immunity.
http://media2.intoday.in/indiatoday/...2713100011.jpg

I will try to get better image of that document.

Documents show Devyani Khobragade 'overpaid' her maid Sangeeta Richard : North, News - India Today

The other side is claiming that they have paid her more then minimum wage.

Also regarding visa fraud, I think the person filling visa form, signing on the form and attending visa interview was the maid, not Ms Devyani. I dont think that Ms Devyani attended her visa interview.

There are reports of hypocrisy in case of Pan Am flight 73 hijack incident when compensation was denied to Indian passengers.
| Video | Devyani's case exposes US hypocrisy, says kin of Pan Am Flight 73 victim | India Videos | - India Today

Old 01-14-2014, 06:31 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,266,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I definitely have. I spend two years studying abroad and doing research in South Asia. With the economy booming in emerging towns, there's plenty of Indians that don't want to come here. There's plenty that have been here and gone back. The quality of life is much better for them over there nowadays than it was 20 years ago (for white collar workers).
You'd never know it around here. Seems we get thousands and thousands of new ones every year. They're not going anywhere either; they're just pushing the boundaries of exurbia further out by insisting on buying brand-new houses every 4-5 years.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I don't think that most of those that I came across were college graduates. The middle class grew in leaps and bounds. That wouldn't have been possible if it weren't for US and other countries outsourcing jobs. From data entry to legal, medical jobs, high end engineering to research. There was such a demand from outsourcing that India outsourced to the Philippines. Sure there are plenty of Indians and people from from countries that come here and go back - after they get the green card or citizenship. That happens in Canada and the UK as well. When I would return to the US you have to get on line that in a section marked "American citizens". I thought I was on the wrong line. The same thing when I would travel outside the country I thought I was on the wrong airline.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:35 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:

According to Biden, they all are running convenience stores in Delaware.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Things are not clear as yet.
One thing has emerged that Devyani Khobragade, at the time of her arrest, was having full diplomatic immunity as in August only she was having a charge as an advisor in United Nations. So NYC police erred in arresting her in breach of diplomatic immunity.
http://media2.intoday.in/indiatoday/...2713100011.jpg

I will try to get better image of that document.

Documents show Devyani Khobragade 'overpaid' her maid Sangeeta Richard : North, News - India Today

The other side is claiming that they have paid her more then minimum wage.

Also regarding visa fraud, I think the person filling visa form, signing on the form and attending visa interview was the maid, not Ms Devyani. I dont think that Ms Devyani attended her visa interview.

There are reports of hypocrisy in case of Pan Am flight 73 hijack incident when compensation was denied to Indian passengers.
| Video | Devyani's case exposes US hypocrisy, says kin of Pan Am Flight 73 victim | India Videos | - India Today
Good grief!!! There you go again, posting a lot of blah blah blah about the maid and how Devy is a victim, reports coming out of India.

I asked you how did the sister get the maid's diary? Did Devy steal it and give it to her? Was there ever a diary? Is there proof that it is the maid's diary? Oh, wait, the sister said it, so it must be true.

And you still can't address the visa fraud, other than say what you think - that the maid is now the one who committed visa fraud. Are you serious??

And you still don't understand that at her level - deputy consular general, as opposed to an Ambassador - she did not enjoy FULL IMMUNITY until this incident and the US gave her immunity at the request of India - that related to her conviction of visa fraud. . She is registered as a convicted felon. She cannot return to the US unless the US waives the conviction, which India is asking the US to do. You completely ignore this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies