U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
 
1,428 posts, read 298,883 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I know that you, as a liberal, are gifted with PhDs in every aspect of science simply by pulling the "D" lever in a voting both.

On the other hand, I just have an undergrad degree in Chemical Engineering (an M.D. after undergrad), and therefore understand that your party affiliation affords you more knowledge than any lousy four year degree.

Perhaps when you warm your hands near a fire, you can appreciate the 2nd law of thermodynamics better. Thanks for the valuable education and "clearing things up" for me.

Second law of thermodynamics - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Because of the educational background you claim I think this, while on the subject of evolution, explains why your reasoning on the second law of thermodynamics might be flawed.

Does Life On Earth Violate the Second Law of Thermodynamics

Please note that at the start of the third paragraph the author stresses the point that earth is not an isolated system.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:43 AM
 
13,483 posts, read 4,829,984 times
Reputation: 5974
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
That isn't true As I cited in post 7 the measured heat stored in oceans over the last 20 years has increased by a factor of multiple 10^22 Joules.

Ah yes................................... "heat stored"!

And because the oceans are stored in a gigantic styrofoam containers, they never dissipates heat at all. It just stays there. And when it is night time everywhere on the planet, it never gets colder- we are just imaging that. Further, wind is never caused by regional pressure and temperature changes. And, of course, it is never too cold to swim in the Atlantic off of Kiawah Island, as all of the heat stays there and it is as warm as a tepid bath all year round!

Do you guys even realize how ridiculous you sound?

Again, I would direct you to the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:44 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY/Bayonne, NJ
30,110 posts, read 7,370,197 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
In 2007 Dr. Nils-Axel Mörner was interviewed on the subject of sea levels. He is the head of the Paleogeophysics and Geodynamics department at Stockholm University in Sweden. He is past president (1999-2003) of the INQUA Commission on Sea Level Changes and Coastal Evolution, and leader of the Maldives Sea Level Project. Dr. Mörner has been studying the sea level and its effects on coastal areas for some 35 years.

“You have Vanuatu, and also in the Pacific, north of New Zealand and Fiji— there is the island Tegua. They said they had to evacuate it, because the sea level was rising. But again, you look at the tide-gauge record: There is absolutely no signal that the sea level is rising. If anything, you could say that maybe the tide is lowering a little bit, but absolutely no rising.”

The most recent edition of Bloomberg Businessweek features a cover that says “This entire country is about to be wiped out by climate change. It won’t last.” It is devoted to Kribati, a Pacific island chain, and it is a total lie.

The media has been a co-conspirator to the global warming hoax and I take this latest example as one that reveals its utter desperation to maintain the greatest hoax of the modern era. The facts mean nothing to them. Real science means nothing to them. But reality is intruding on theirs and the United Nations environmental program just wrapped up Conference of Parties-19 in Warsaw, where more nations are now in open revolt.

The UN Global Warming Hoax is Slowly Dying
So what you are saying is you believe in junk science.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:54 AM
 
9,427 posts, read 6,829,843 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Whether or not global warming exists, there is no reason not to take care of the environment.
Completely agree. I wish that was the conversation instead of the global warming issue. That has actually served as a diversion from the topic of taking care of the air, water etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM
 
1,428 posts, read 298,883 times
Reputation: 407
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ah yes................................... "heat stored"!

And because the oceans are stored in a gigantic styrofoam containers, they never dissipates heat at all. It just stays there. And when it is night time everywhere on the planet, it never gets colder- we are just imaging that. Further, wind is never caused by regional pressure and temperature changes. And, of course, it is never too cold to swim in the Atlantic off of Kiawah Island, as all of the heat stays there and it is as warm as a tepid bath all year round!

Do you guys even realize how ridiculous you sound?

Again, I would direct you to the 2nd law of thermodynamics.
That is an interesting take on what I have said and goes to another interesting point on global warming. It is true oceans, as well as the atmosphere and land surface all dissipate heat. The difference is that water dissipates heat at a slower rate then land and air. Furthermore if there were global cooling as you suggest and as you correctly note oceans dissipate heat, wouldn't ocean heat measurements show a decrease in the amount of heat joules stored over time? Clearly the measurements I show in post 7 suggest the opposite is happening which suggests, if you are a true scientist like you claim, you might be willing to adjust your hypothesis to the evidence.

As to the second law of thermodynamics I would again direct you to posts 37 and 48 key words being "isolated system" The second law of thermodynamics doesn't say any part of a system must trend towards entropy if that were true I seriously doubt humans, or life generally, would exist.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 11:56 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY/Bayonne, NJ
30,110 posts, read 7,370,197 times
Reputation: 4924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
Completely agree. I wish that was the conversation instead of the global warming issue. That has actually served as a diversion from the topic of taking care of the air, water etc.
Typically those that don't believe in global warming also think that anything involves taking care of the environment just gets in the way of capitalism.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 12:08 PM
 
9,427 posts, read 6,829,843 times
Reputation: 2305
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Typically those that don't believe in global warming also think that anything involves taking care of the environment just gets in the way of capitalism.
That's a segment of those that don't believe in man made global warming.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 12:14 PM
 
11,746 posts, read 10,610,718 times
Reputation: 4243
Islands and continents don't last forever... did people really think all land masses have been dry land since the beginning of time? liberals are stupid...
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM
 
2,573 posts, read 2,711,050 times
Reputation: 1208
Default Why do conservatives trust Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, and Michelle Bachman on science?

And any other conservative pundits and politicians?

Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity are not scientist. They don't even have college degrees. Yet when Rush Limbaugh yells on the radio that global warming is a lie, conservatives believe it. But why? Rush has zero qualifications on the issue.

Quote:
LIMBAUGH: How did I know global warming is a hoax? 'Cause of who's behind pushing it. Liberals. They lie.

[...]

LIMBAUGH: If there ever is scientific proof -- and see, I don't need scientific proof because to me the people who are promoting man-made global warming are a bunch of frauds. They are liberals, they lie. It's not a generalization. It is an undeniable truth of life. [Premiere Radio Networks, The Rush Limbaugh Show, 3/8/11]
But when 99.9% of climate scientist say that humans significantly contribute to increasing global temperature, conservatives deny it.

I just don't understand what the logical rationale for this is?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-15-2014, 12:15 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
16,896 posts, read 10,366,150 times
Reputation: 5978
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I believe in the Theory of Evolution
I believe in the Theory of Relativity
I believe in String Theory
I believe in the mathematics that predicts 420,000 separate universes
I believe in the mathematics that predicts 16 distinct dimensions
I believe in the 'germ theory" of disease

I DO NOT believe in "global warming".

What is the difference between the former and the latter? Global warming is "junk science" that borders on a cult.

What is the difference between you and me? I have published many papers in the actual scientific literature and understand the difference between real science and junk science. You, by pulling the "D" lever in a voting booth, are not conferred with actual degrees and an understanding of the scientific literature, despite what most libs believe.
Does that mean you are an M-Theory denalist?!?!?!?

Oh, and I happen to have 98.6 degrees of understanding, so there.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top